No announcement yet.

The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to get my comp fixed so i can get the new xcom. i'm so pumped.

how much does it cost to get a hd that's been corrupted fixed anyways
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Depends on what caused it. You might be looking at a new HD in the worst case. Also keep in mind how much they quote you at versus how much it would cost to purchase a new HD and reinstall windows yourself.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        need to get my comp fixed so i can get the new xcom. i'm so pumped.

how much does it cost to get a hd that's been corrupted fixed anyways
        Pretty sure you can go to Pacific Mall and they can recover everything off the drive and put it on a new for like $100. Assuming its not completely fried.
        Last edited by Joey; Tue Feb 2, 2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• So apparently there's a new XCOM. I'm intrigued. I just love having countries turn their back on me when I'm their only hope at survival and meanwhile my sniper who I just invested 15 hours into building up into a total wrecking machine gets annihilated by me triggering the map too rapidly. Yeah, it's a love/hate thing.

Comment

• The Order was awful. One of the worst "games" I have ever played. The gameplay is basically Gears of War except nowhere near as fun. You have absolutely no agency and practically no control over your character. The enemies are bland and boring as are the weapons. You do punch guys in the crotch, though, so there is that.

The story, such as it is, is even worse. The narrative is completely broken from the first scenes, the characters are so clichéd it is beyond laughable, and virtually every plot point in the game goes unresolved. The ending is laugh out loud funny.

This game reminded me a lot of when the first Fable came out and the developers promised this rich, high art story with cutting edge/revolutionary gameplay and by the time it was released it was all just broken promises.

Comment

• I liked Fable as well. I thought people were far to hard on it as well.

I think it got knocked not for what it was but for what it wasn't. Peoples expectations were unrealistic and when it wasn't what they expected they ripped it to shreds. I can go back even further and make the same case for FF8. In my view The Order wasn't being judged for what it was, it too was being judged for what it wasn't. Either way it's getting a sequel so prepare yourself for that one. LOL

Even Fallout 4 got nailed by some and they too weren't really criticizing what it did, they were criticizing what it didn't do, what they expected it to do. Gaming reviews are completely subjective and we need to be careful otherwise we miss out on gems like Fallout 4.

On the flip side there are a bunch of mediocre games that score well every year when hardly anything is changed.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                I liked Fable as well. I thought people were far to hard on it as well.

I think it got knocked not for what it was but for what it wasn't. Peoples expectations were unrealistic and when it wasn't what they expected they ripped it to shreds. I can go back even further and make the same case for FF8. In my view The Order wasn't being judged for what it was, it too was being judged for what it wasn't. Either way it's getting a sequel so prepare yourself for that one. LOL

Even Fallout 4 got nailed by some and they too weren't really criticizing what it did, they were criticizing what it didn't do, what they expected it to do. Gaming reviews are completely subjective and we need to be careful otherwise we miss out on gems like Fallout 4.

On the flip side there are a bunch of mediocre games that score well every year when hardly anything is changed.
                With the Order I judged it for what it was. But if you're going to have a game that is basically just a movie you get to move through (e.g. The Last of Us) then the story had better be good and the characters compelling. The story in the Order was a mess and the characters were awful. In terms of undelivered promises, I mostly meant in the game itself. There are werewolves and vampires and you are sworn to fight them, except you barely fight any of the former and none of the latter. The main big bad disappears part way through the game and the end game boss fight is completely anti-climatic. It's like something a high school kid would write for a creative writing class thinking it's an art house film....

Don't get me wrong, you can have a good game with a bad story (e.g. all the Metal Gear Solid games) but this isn't it.

I do agree with you that gamers should be skeptical about reviews. There are a lot of overrated games out there.....

Comment

• Last of Us was a lot more than a movie you walk through. Do you play easy skill setting?

The Order had some good gun fights. Again, which skill setting are you playing on? I liked the characters and I liked the story. You fight werewolves on many missions and usually it's two or three at a time. There is a lot more going on in the game than hunting the werewolves. There is a conspiracy that's being investigated by Galahad and a story of vengeance in the middle of a civil war.

Don't forget that theyre Knights of the Round Table and while they fight obominations they're sworn to protect the monarch and the country.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Last of Us was a lot more than a movie you walk through. Do you play easy skill setting?

The Order had some good gun fights. Again, which skill setting are you playing on? I liked the characters and I liked the story.
                    I hated Last of Us. Most disappointing game I have ever played. Basically walked into a second-rate B-movie. Every time I got interested in the game a cut scene would play and every time I got interested in the cut scenes the game would come back. I honestly don't get the hype with that one.

I played the Order a while ago so I can't remember what setting it was on. Most likely the normal setting as I would never have played through it again and I usually never adjust difficulty settings unless I find the game ridiculously easy. But, as far as I remember, there was nothing to the gameplay except punching guys in the nuts was fun for about 15 minutes.

Comment

• I didn't enjoy the as Last of Us either for the same reason I don't enjoy MGS game, too much stealth. However, I can appreciate that it's a well made game, it has a good story and good acting. Combat is good and challenging to the point really it's punishing in places if you don't stealth it. I like cut scenes, they're great for establishing the story and the characters.

I didn't punch a single person in the nuts in the Order. In fact I don't think I used melee at all unless it was required. I thought the gun fights were reminiscent of Uncharted only with some really cool and original weapons like the Arc rifle and Thermite Gun.

Comment

• 17 minutes but i laughed

Comment

• Wasn't sure where to put this, but its pretty awesome ...

Editing Unreal Engine VR Worlds in VR ...

The future is here people! And it looks like its going to be super duper fun.

PS. Love how stereotypically awkward and geeky Tim Sweeney seems .. and yet, the dude owns like 4 Ferraris ...
                          Last edited by Joey; Thu Feb 4, 2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• "and jesus wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"

"worlds within worlds within worlds"

you sure look like an idiot playing though

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              Wasn't sure where to put this, but its pretty awesome ...

Editing Unreal Engine VR Worlds in VR ...

The future is here people! And it looks like its going to be super duper fun.

PS. Love how stereotypically awkward and geeky Tim Sweeney seems .. and yet, the dude owns like 4 Ferraris ...
                              The way he talks he reminds me of Daniel Johnson

Comment

• I bought Ark: Survival Evolved today on a Steam sale. I think it was roughly $22 CAD. It eats up a lot of space, with the download being around 9GB but total space on the drive once installed tipping the scale at 40GB. Fallout 4, as large as it was, was around 30GB.

Anyway, Ark is an early access game that launched last June. I think itsout on XB1 now as well. I watched a few YouTube videos on it and it looks like Minecraft meets Jurassic Park. It offers up both online PVP and PVE. Along with single player. Mods are supported of course for PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X