The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSVR Coming in 2016

The PlayStation VR is Sony’s first proper foray into the world of virtual reality (VR), and it’s difficult not to get excited. Originally called Project Morpheus, Sony’s headset will be powered by the PlayStation 4
    PlayStation VR at a glance:

Powered by the PlayStation 4
    Launching in 2016
    Should cost around £350
    That's approx $500 CAD but it's not that simple. When PS4 launched in Europe the price equivalent here via exchange would have been close on to $600CAD. In reality the PS4 price here was $450-$500CAD. My guess is this will cost Canadians more along the lines of $450-$500CAD.

Specs:
    PlayStation VR utilises a Full HD 1080p OLED display, with a resolution of 960 x 1,080 for each eye.
    connects to a PlayStation 4, which processes the games and streams them to the device. There's also a separate, smaller box that connects to the PS4 to handle the nuts and bolts of rendering fully-immersive 3D.
    This smaller box can then be connected to a separate TV or monitor to have an undistorted, 'normal' view of what's happening in-game. It's a nice touch, and should make PlayStation VR more living room-friendly than devices like the Oculus Rift.
    The PS4 is able to follow the position and movement of PlayStation VR thanks to accelerometers and the LED side-lights mentioned above, which it detects using a connected PlayStation Camera. Sony claims the camera can track the headset up to 1,000 times per second, delivering a seamless experience.
    Users can also turn their heads through a full 360 degrees while playing, in order to experience every angle of view.
    Games on PlayStation VR will be played primarily via the DualShock 4 controller, which, in addition to having a familiar layout is also motion sensitive and can be tracked by the PlayStation camera too, thanks to an embedded light bar.
    However, games can also be played with the PlayStation Move batons.
    Fit:
    The main body of PlayStation VR is a black curved visor, with white, LED-illuminated edging, held on by a strap that goes all the way round the head. Unlike the Gear VR and Oculus Rift, there's no top strap running from the front to the back of the head, but there is a little cap extending from the top of the visor which helps hold it on securely.
    PlayStation VR is sleek, well-designed and visually appealing. It’s incredibly light compared to the likes of Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive, and thanks to a gap between your face and the visor you don’t feel hemmed in when playing, helping reduce the feeling of motionsickness when playing.
    Support
    At this year’s Paris Games Week it announced that over 200 developers are hard at work on creating experiences for PlayStation VR. So, during its keynote presentation it unloaded both barrels at VR naysayers with a strong catalogue of upcoming games and experiences made for PlayStation 4.
    As Sony owns one of the largest motion picture production companies in the world, it’s only natural to believe it will start to craft VR-only experiences for some of its releases. At Paris Games Week we caught a glimpse of that future with an interactive demo for its film The Walk. If Sony can create more of these interactive experiences around its movies, perhaps we’ll see box office numbers rise.
    http://www.alphr.com/sony/1000343/pl...aming-at-paris

Hands on from Techradar.com, dated September 15, 2015:
    The newest Project Morpheus is magnificent. There seem to be a few minor hiccups to sort out but it feels like the hardware is solid, and far more comfortable than a lot o VR headsets out there which is huge. No one wants to wear something bulky and restraining for more than an hour, but we can imagine you'd feel pretty comfy with a Morpheus on your noggin.

The Crescent Bay edition of Rift is equally spectacular in usage compared to Project Morpheus but it doesn't provide any real game demos to show off how well it does with interactive experiences. Granted, the Oculus team seem more keen on providing immersive experiences without peripherals opposed to full on games.

This is where the Morpheus has the edge. Its proven itself a real contender for virtual reality in your living room thanks to the incorporation of the Move controllers and the PlayStation Eye. As for The London Heist, well, you'll have to try that for yourself to see what we're raving about. But it's truly something special.

Read on for in-depth coverage on Project Morpheus, or if you're in the mood to read Cameron Faulkner's impressions, who nearly flipped his lid upon first trying it, check that out here.
    After experiencing more games on the Morpheus, I'm more convinced we'll see it sooner rather than later in 2016. Sony already has a leg up on providing motion controllers unlike Oculus's Touch controllers which are still being developed.

The games on both platforms don't seem like they're quite ready yet and I get the sense a lot of companies are scrambling to make polished titles in time for release. However I'm confident that there will be enough titles and more released because VR is definitely the future of gaming.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1235379/review

If I can hook this up to a media player and watch 3D movies on it that would be pretty awesome. The 5.7 inch screen will have an equivalent TV screen size to something vastly larger than anything you could fit in your entertainment room.

I have to say, I'm getting this if it can deliver like I've been reading. A VR set has to be light in weight, it has to be very comfortable, it needs to have a rich screen(it does with its OLED tech) and it has to be powerful enough to deliver a next gen experience from AAA developers while rendered in 3D. It appears Sony is locking all this down.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      That's approx $500 CAD but it's not that simple. When PS4 launched in Europe the price equivalent here via exchange would have been close on to $600CAD. In reality the PS4 price here was $450-$500CAD. My guess is this will cost Canadians more along the lines of $450-$500CAD.

Specs:

Fit:

Support

http://www.alphr.com/sony/1000343/pl...aming-at-paris

Hands on from Techradar.com, dated September 15, 2015:
      http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1235379/review

If I can hook this up to a media player and watch 3D movies on it that would be pretty awesome. The 5.7 inch screen will have an equivalent TV screen size to something vastly larger than anything you could fit in your entertainment room.

I have to say, I'm getting this if it can deliver like I've been reading. A VR set has to be light in weight, it has to be very comfortable, it needs to have a rich screen(it does with its OLED tech) and it has to be powerful enough to deliver a next gen experience from AAA developers while rendered in 3D. It appears Sony is locking all this down.
      VR causes motion sickness after about 5 minutes. Some early FPS used to cause it due to head bobbing and other factors but this is alot worse

Comment

• If you read the article you'll see that they suggest most of this is cause by the screen being too close and sealed to the players eyes; my interpretation if this is that it causes disorientation. Sony has left space to prevent this from happening.

I remember back in the day when 3D perspective games such as Doom and Wolfenstien hit the scene there were complaints of some people becoming motion sick. It turned out to be blown out of proportion and most gamers clearly adapted as it's the most common perspective for a game in this age.

I've not read anything on PSVR from reviewers complaining of motion sickness. If it makes you sick, don't buy it or bring it back. Problem solved but if that's the case then I'll feel sorry for you because this tech seriously looks game changing on level we've not seen in a long time. I can't even imagine how cool a game like NBA 2K17 could be with VR and motion controls. Wow.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          If you read the article you'll see that they suggest most of this is cause by the screen being too close and sealed to the players eyes; my interpretation if this is that it causes disorientation. Sony has left space to prevent this from happening.

I remember back in the day when 3D perspective games such as Doom and Wolfenstien hit the scene there were complaints of some people becoming motion sick. It turned out to be blown out of proportion and most gamers clearly adapted as it's the most common perspective for a game in this age.

I've not read anything on PSVR from reviewers complaining of motion sickness. If it makes you sick, don't buy it or bring it back. Problem solved but if that's the case then I'll feel sorry for you because this tech seriously looks game changing on level we've not seen in a long time. I can't even imagine how cool a game like NBA 2K17 could be with VR and motion controls. Wow.
          Time Runners maybe was the title that caused a ton of motion sickness or something similar. Adding spacing around the screen allowing light in helps, the total immersion sounds better on paper than when playing, but any lag in a game amplifies the queasiness.

I'm a huge early adopter but the motion sickness issue is real. Will probably get it anyway

Comment

• Halo 5 is fuckin amazing

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
              Halo 5 is fuckin amazing
              So is the old good guy the bad guy? Or is the new good guy the bad guy? Can't tell from the trailers.

Comment

Halo 5 is fuckin amazing
                Is it out already? Everywhere or ius it an exclusive.?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  So is the old good guy the bad guy? Or is the new good guy the bad guy? Can't tell from the trailers.
                  I wont spoil it for people who haven't played it but definitely an interesting twist.

The multiplayer is better than it ever has been too.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Is it out already? Everywhere or ius it an exclusive.?
                    I think exclusive to the One. Not on PC or 360 but may be on the PC in the future? they haven't confirmed it but said its possible.

Comment

I think exclusive to the One. Not on PC or 360 but may be on the PC in the future? they haven't confirmed it but said its possible.
                      I meant EB Games or Walmart. I passed by Walmarts games section and didn't see it. I wasn't look for it though.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        I meant EB Games or Walmart. I passed by Walmarts games section and didn't see it. I wasn't look for it though.
                        Hmm i'd be shocked if it isn't at Walmart. I only get digital games these days tho so I'm not sure. It came out on the 27th. They could be sold out at Walmart tho, they are reporting its the fastest selling halo game ever or something.

Comment

Hmm i'd be shocked if it isn't at Walmart. I only get digital games these days tho so I'm not sure.
                          Digital might be a day or two faster, 2K16 was I think. I'll go see on Friday

Comment

• halo 5 is great

Comment

• definitely go PC
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                definitely go PC

Comment

Working...
                                X