The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack North wrote: View Post
    I just got into it last night, so I only played the first tournament. They start you off by putting you in different situations on each of the 4 days of a regular tournament. Thursday they have you play maybe 3 or 4 out of the 18 holes, I think I did 13,14,15,16... then they simulate the rest of the holes for each day. I was tied at -8 going into Sunday where they had me play maybe 7 holes or so and I closed out the tourney with an 8 stroke win. I love the fact that I can make my player a lefty... always hated playing as a right-handed swing, which you're forced to do in nearly every single golf game ever.

I'm looking forward to playing my buddies in tournaments online, where everybody plays simultaneously.

Quick vid:
    Tour swing mode looks really interesting, thanks for sharing this. One thing about the Tiger series and the arcade controls was that once you got the knack for it you could absolutely destroy every course, even historically difficult courses the real pros have trouble with. The challenge in the older games came from trying to beat someone highly skilled instead of the heart of golf: trying to beat/tame the course.

I'm glad this has arrived, I've been itching for a golf game for a while and the Golf Club didn't really appeal to me without the PGA licence and major courses.

Edit: Just Googled the game and got this review from IGN...
    THE VERDICT

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is solid enough out on the course but it’s just lacking too many of the series’ fundamentals to make it worthwhile for golf fans. Concessions are often made when sports games straddle the gap between console generations old and new, but considering the two year wait for a game that is only being released on current gen hardware, the rampant slash and burn of its feature set is particularly galling. EA Tiburon has managed to create a golf game with plenty of holes in it; just not the kind that fans will relish. Rory McIlroy PGA Tour’s tagline, ‘Golf without limits’, seemed enticing in the lead up to the game’s release. After experiencing everything this cut-down series reboot has to offer, the message just comes across as sarcastic.
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/07/1...ga-tour-review

5.5 out of 10. Yikes.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Tour swing mode looks really interesting, thanks for sharing this. One thing about the Tiger series and the arcade controls was that once you got the knack for it you could absolutely destroy every course, even historically difficult courses the real pros have trouble with. The challenge in the older games came from trying to beat someone highly skilled instead of the heart of golf: trying to beat/tame the course.

I'm glad this has arrived, I've been itching for a golf game for a while and the Golf Club didn't really appeal to me without the PGA licence and major courses.

5.5 out of 10. Yikes.
      The direct comparison they make the Tiger Woods 14 is especially damning ...
      IGN wrote:
      Stacked up against the two-year-old Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14, the new game has roughly half the number of courses to play on, about a quarter of the licensed players to choose from (with both the Legends and the female LPGA players gone entirely), and a create-a-player tool that ditches the customary eyebrow shaping and body sculpting of the older game in favour of a handful of set templates that are almost guaranteed to look absolutely nothing like you.
      Expect these to come in DLC content you have to pay extra for.

IGN wrote:
      Things get even worse when you step into the career mode. What should be the real meat of the single player experience is staggeringly undercooked. Gone is the steady rise to the PGA Tour via amateur competitions. Absent is the option of playing pre-tournament practice rounds to earn additional XP. Removed are the conditional objectives for fast-tracking your progress, such as winning a set number of tournaments in a season.

Instead, you just get shunted from one tournament to another with no schedule to indicate what’s on the horizon beyond your next competition, and if you manage to win a tournament your prize is a static, text-based congratulations message with no trophy room to show off your spoils nor indication of how much prize money you’ve actually earned.
      On top of that listed above, you can't play Skins against your friends and you can't replay nice shots. SO Brutal.
      Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 20, 2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

5.5 out of 10. Yikes.
        Yeaaaaa... I dunno. Played alright for me. I haven't played much console golf since Tiger Woods maybe 6 years ago. I mainly bought it to play vs buddies online. I'll have to get a lot deeper in to give it a rating. I did try the classic tap A swing to begin things but I found myself messing up a little too often, so I went to the arcade mode which was A LOT easier. I'll try the Tour swing when I get back into it tomorrow.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          The direct comparison they make the Tiger Woods 14 is especially damning ...

Expect these to come in DLC content you have to pay extra for.

Geezus ... what the hell are they doing?! Can't even play Skins against your friends? Brutal.
          Wish I read all this before paying $69.99 and listening to my damn friends lol... bah well, it'll do me alright for what I'm using it for.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
            Wish I read all this before paying $69.99 and listening to my damn friends lol... bah well, it'll do me alright for what I'm using it for.
            Well it seems likes it more targeting exactly what you said the "Golden Tee" market, which in that case, it should be excellent. If its just Arcadey-fun Golf, then you can't go wrong! But I think people expect a Sim-Experience at this point from this games, which is likely where the let down comes from.

Rory is no Tiger.. Thats for DAMN sure.

Comment

• Hilarious, just found this on Wikipedia:
              Due to an expired license, Augusta National and the Masters Tournament will not appear in the game, although an EA representative has suggested that the course may be re-introduced as DLC in the future.
              Can't even play the Masters or Augusta ... until they make you pay extra for it.

I wonder if thats because Rory has never actually WON the Masters, and they feel weird associating their tournament with someones game who has never actually won it.

Comment

• Wow. No Augusta, no Apollo. The line has been drawn, Sir.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• i'm batman

Comment

• I've been playing a lot of MKX lately, anyone else play on PS4?

Comment

• Played it on Xbox for a solid month. Good game.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        Played it on Xbox for a solid month. Good game.
                        It gets me riled up. I'm getting quite good with Sub Zero

Comment

• Cassie cage ftw.

I'm pretty good with raiden too. Cassie is super hot and makes everything look cool. My favorite ending to a fight is just pulling out the gun and shooting them in the face point blank range.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            Cassie cage ftw.

I'm pretty good with raiden too. Cassie is super hot and makes everything look cool. My favorite ending to a fight is just pulling out the gun and shooting them in the face point blank range.
                            Ugh Cassie Cage is so OP, you get in close and the fight is over. She has so many overhead combos and its hard to get a hit in. Sub Zero is so much fun to use tho, same with kung lao but it takes a lot of practice to juggle with Lao.

It's a lot of fun watching the mortal kombat tourney's, that Sonic Fox kid is something else, he's only 17 and clobbers everyone with Erron Black. Its crazy how good these guys are

Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Thu Jul 23, 2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Haven't had much time for games lately but when I have its been fooling around in Minecraft for 30 minutes here or there. Its such an odd game when you think about it, yet I've had it since 2010 and it continues to find its way onto my screen from time to time. I toss it in the same category as Civ4 in terms of longevity for me.

Comment

Haven't had much time for games lately but when I have its been fooling around in Minecraft for 30 minutes here or there. Its such an odd game when you think about it, yet I've had it since 2010 and it continues to find its way onto my screen from time to time. I toss it in the same category as Civ4 in terms of longevity for me.
                                Happens with me and duck hunt. My mom, in Canada, still has my nes and i play duck hunt like crazy everytime I go home. It is beyond nostalgia I still really like it. Just wish I could go farther away from the screen to make it harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X