Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Games of the XXXI Olympiad
    August 5th - 21st

More than 10,500 athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs), including first time entrants Kosovo and South Sudan, are scheduled to take part.[1] With 306 sets of medals, the games will feature 28 Olympic sports — including rugby sevens and golf, which were added by the International Olympic Committee in 2009.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics

Go Canada!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm backing our Biyarslanov to win a medal this year.. rookie. Huge underdog, but he can fight! tough, tough opponents tho.

How many medals do you think we will win by the end of the Olympics? I say 19 or 20.

Good luck to all athletes AND FUCK CHEATERS!!!
    "We were one of four teams left. We can be proud of that, but not satisfied" - D. Casey

3. Like Apollo liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For a host of reasons I am just not feeling it for the Olympics this year.

I think the IOC have finally fucked it up....too big...too much corruption....state sponsored doping...Brasil spending oodles of money they cant really afford...and the IOC taking it. Etc. Etc.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

5. Like Demographic Shift, Miekenstien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently a local hospital dumps all of its sewage into the bay they're gonna use for the games. Now that water is testing positive for a super bacteria. A shitty situation to be in so close to the games.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling Rio 2016 will be a huge lesson for "governing bodies" to remember. Super bacteria, ZIKA, violance, police 'refusing' to protect tourists(THEY DON'T EVEN GET PAID!! WHAT THE FUCK!! http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/sp...2016-security/ ), government meltdown...

This place is a disaster waiting to happen
    Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jul 5th, 2016 at 11:05 PM.
    "We were one of four teams left. We can be proud of that, but not satisfied" - D. Casey

Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

this is going to go down as the worst olympics ever. there is going to be massive repercussions for the ioc after this farce. i hope none of the athletes get murdered, get horrible diseases or injured in the rush job to complete the venues disaster.

going to brazil was just a bad bad idea.

Raptors Republic Superstar slaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this is going to go down as the worst olympics ever. there is going to be massive repercussions for the ioc after this farce. i hope none of the athletes get murdered, get horrible diseases or injured in the rush job to complete the venues disaster.

going to brazil was just a bad bad idea.
    I don't know. I remember when people said that about Athens and it turned out fine. Sochi, too. London was going to be a logistical nightmare and bring the city to a standstill but life went on. Every Olympics we hear how all the venues are late, etc., pollution, corruption, crime, terrorism, etc. but in the end it all basically works out.

Post Thanks / Like

15 days!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    15 days!
    Is Usain Bolt running?

New troubles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36858806
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Is Usain Bolt running?

New troubles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36858806
    "My hamstring is good. I have no issue right now," Bolt said

"I had a strain. If I'd competed I probably would have torn my hamstring really bad, but I was never really worried. I know I'm in good shape."

13. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"My hamstring is good. I have no issue right now," Bolt said

"I had a strain. If I'd competed I probably would have torn my hamstring really bad, but I was never really worried. I know I'm in good shape."
    Great! Worth tuning in just for him. btw dont know if you have heard of the Canadian runner Rodney (200m) who is looking good and of course Degrasse.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/roy...lympic-trials/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Great! Worth tuning in just for him. btw dont know if you have heard of the Canadian runner Rodney (200m) who is looking good and of course Degrasse.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/roy...lympic-trials/
    Thanks for this article. Lads are coming into shape when it REALLY COUNTS.

16. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Usain looks healthy:

Post Thanks / Like

That was a run in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Kendra Harrison broke 100m hurdle world record yesterday.. That delayed reaction is priceless

Last edited by rocwell; Sat Jul 23rd, 2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: *record

Post Thanks / Like

Russians dodged Olympic ban. No one who has been sanctioned for any doping offences in the past will be allowed to compete. I'm pleased for clean athletes.

Post Thanks / Like

Russians dodged Olympic ban. No one who has been sanctioned for any doping offences in the past will be allowed to compete. I'm pleased for clean athletes.
    Yea, these athletes devote their lives to the sport, it would be terrible if that were taken away from them due to all the corruption.

Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Yea, these athletes devote their lives to the sport, it would be terrible if that were taken away from them due to all the corruption.

A view from the other side of the coin.....

In perhaps in one of their most spineless acts ever in a long and sordid history which is coloured by corruption, bribery and incompetence the IOC once again demonstrates that they are unable and quite unwilling to take a principled stand on the cornerstone of sport.... a level playing field for all competitors.

They mouthed a zero tolerance policy on drug use but when it was time to take a stand ... they abdicated. Instead they took the bureaucratic way out and left the difficult decisions to the governing bodies of each indvidual sport. Breathtaking cowardice in the face of adversity.

If you thought that FIFA, led by Sepp Blatter, was slimy in its dealing they are but grammar school newbies when compared to the IOC.

The message here is that cheating is now OK. There is not much doubt on the veracity of the evidence brought forward nor was there even the bleat of unfairness from the Russians who were fully exposed to a cheating scandal of epic proportions. This wasn't Charlie Francis and Ben Johnson using Stanazonol tablets out of the trunk of Charlies car. This was a well thought out, well funded and designed strategy to cheat and gain unfair advantage by a country's sports federation. The Russians fully expected to take one on the chin. They got caught for all who could read and watch to see. They fully and rightly expected to be nailed for this epic cheat .. but...in an OJ like decision they were exonerated by a morally bankrupt IOC.

Back to the cesspool Lausanne you go Thomas Back.....with your principles, ethics and integrity in a doggie bag to be left on the curb outside of corporate HQ.

That the best spin the IOC could muster was the tripe that its not fair to punish the four clean athletes in the former Soviet Union borders between naivete and stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    A view from the other side of the coin.....

In perhaps in one of their most spineless acts ever in a long and sordid history which is coloured by corruption, bribery and incompetence the IOC once again demonstrates that they are unable and quite unwilling to take a principled stand on the cornerstone of sport.... a level playing field for all competitors.

They mouthed a zero tolerance policy on drug use but when it was time to take a stand ... they abdicated. Instead they took the bureaucratic way out and left the difficult decisions to the governing bodies of each indvidual sport. Breathtaking cowardice in the face of adversity.

If you thought that FIFA, led by Sepp Blatter, was slimy in its dealing they are but grammar school newbies when compared to the IOC.

The message here is that cheating is now OK. There is not much doubt on the veracity of the evidence brought forward nor was there even the bleat of unfairness from the Russians who were fully exposed to a cheating scandal of epic proportions. This wasn't Charlie Francis and Ben Johnson using Stanazonol tablets out of the trunk of Charlies car. This was a well thought out, well funded and designed strategy to cheat and gain unfair advantage by a country's sports federation. The Russians fully expected to take one on the chin. They got caught for all who could read and watch to see. They fully and rightly expected to be nailed for this epic cheat .. but...in an OJ like decision they were exonerated by a morally bankrupt IOC.

Back to the cesspool Lausanne you go Thomas Back.....with your principles, ethics and integrity in a doggie bag to be left on the curb outside of corporate HQ.

That the best spin the IOC could muster was the tripe that its not fair to punish the four clean athletes in the former Soviet Union borders between naivete and stupid.
    Man.. don't even bother writing about FIFA, IOC. Both organisations are lost cause. I wonder how sports federations are going to check every Russian athletes doping status in 10 days? Lol. Fu*k this.

Anyway.. I'm just happy for clean Russian athletes. Just like any other LEGIT athlete, they make countless sacrifices for their program(s), train incredibly hard and live like a monk for a chance to win an Olympic medal.

In other news.. New Zealand jiu jitsu fighter was kidnapped by Rio cops. What the fuck?

Last edited by rocwell; Sun Jul 24th, 2016 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"Less than two weeks before the start of the Games, 19 of 31 buildings have yet to pass safety checks, with teams hinting they may demand compensation"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information