Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 433

Thread: The NHL Thread

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The NHL Thread

    What!?! No hockey thread? Well, we'll just have to do something about that.

    Can't believe CuJo's retired. He was like my favourite Leaf a few years back. But, hey, when you're 42, guess its time to call it quits.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anyone remember this guy? The goalie from the World Juniors a couple years ago. Good to him finally get his shot in the Big leagues.

    http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap..._from_norfolk/
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

  3. #3
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    LMAO ... Leafs just acquired one of the league's most overrated players in Phaneuf.

    Link: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

  4. #4
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So Darren Dreger just reported the deal goes like this, Phaneuf, Sjostrom and Auley to Toronto for Hagman, Stajan, Mayers and Ian White. Hmmm .... if I'm a Flames fan I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Leafs also get Giguere. Not a bad pickup.

    Kinda sad seeing Stajan and White leaving TO, but Dions a nice pickup too. So now I guess that means Kabs is on his way out? Hes the odd man out now that the Leafs have Komiserak, Schenn, and Dion manning the blue line.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Gurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Doc, the Sens are on fiyah. What is it 8 game winning streak now?
    Last name ever, first name greatest

  7. #7
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gurk wrote: View Post
    Hey Doc, the Sens are on fiyah. What is it 8 game winning streak now?
    9, but who's counting?

    Anyhow, I won't get too ahead of myself but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised on how well this team has performed this season when most wrote us off this past summer. I hope we carry the momentum into this week because we have 2 tough games against the Sabres and the Canucks.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    9, but who's counting?

    Anyhow, I won't get too ahead of myself but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised on how well this team has performed this season when most wrote us off this past summer. I hope we carry the momentum into this week because we have 2 tough games against the Sabres and the Canucks.
    Come on Doc, you know the Sens ain't shit and if they were to face the Rangers in teh first round, they'd get blasted


    Anyways, chiming in on the Leafs deal - good deal on their part. Phaneuf is only 24, he's a 2-time all star, a Norris trophy nominee. People used to talk shit about Chris Pronger too. All they had to give up was a UFA in Stajan who wasn't even in their plans beyond this season, Mayers, who's a 2-bit scrub and a UFA at the end of the year, White, who was probably their second best D-man 2 years running, but a RFA at the end of the year and would get a raise from his 900K a year, and Hagman, who will probably along with White would be the only guys Toronto missed. Hagman is very good defensively and offensively. He makes good coin for his production, but he's uber streaky. So really, the trade works out to be White and Hagman for Phaneuf and Aulie - AUlie in his own right, should he develop, is a top-4 defenseman.

    Now let's talk about how Glen Sather duped Darryl Sutter into taking Kotalik for Jokinen.

  9. #9
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Come on Doc, you know the Sens ain't shit and if they were to face the Rangers in teh first round, they'd get blasted
    I don't know Hoops .... it would be tough call now. Earlier in the season if you asked me that, I'd agree with you, but right now the Sens are playing on a different level and with a different kind of swagger. It would be close, but adding Jokinen was a steal of a deal by Sather. Not sure what Sutter is thinking right now other than living in the moment.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I don't know Hoops .... it would be tough call now. Earlier in the season if you asked me that, I'd agree with you, but right now the Sens are playing on a different level and with a different kind of swagger. It would be close, but adding Jokinen was a steal of a deal by Sather. Not sure what Sutter is thinking right now other than living in the moment.
    Are they really gonna ride Elliot or Leclaire into the playoffs? They should be looking to acquire a vet, even if it's to be a backup. A name that comes to mind is Dwayne Rolloson from the Ice-landers.

  11. #11
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Are they really gonna ride Elliot or Leclaire into the playoffs? They should be looking to acquire a vet, even if it's to be a backup. A name that comes to mind is Dwayne Rolloson from the Ice-landers.
    Right now the starting spot is Elliot's to lose. Star of the week 2 weeks ago and 2nd Star of the week last week. LeClaire been a huge disappointment this season and has lived up to his "fragile" reputation. Elliot's been phenomenal, but their defence have finally woken up this last month which has made his job easier too. They won't pick up a veteran goalie unless there are able to move Pascal which I highly doubt because there aren't many teams out there that would be interested in LeClaire based on his track record over these last couple years.

    What I do see Murray doing is adding another top 6 forward and possibly a rugged defenseman for the playoff run. My expectations aren't anything beyond the first round, but I will say that the Sens will not be an easy team to beat come playoff time.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    wow, this hasn't been updated in a while, who thinks montreal tsands a chance tonight?

    i'm not sure i like there chances.

  13. #13
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    wow, this hasn't been updated in a while, who thinks montreal tsands a chance tonight?

    i'm not sure i like there chances.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but "Go Habs Go". I would love to see them knock out the Capitals, but something tells me Ovechkin and Backstrom might have something to say about that tonight.

  14. #14
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WOW .... kudos to the Habs for taking down Goliath last night.

    I expect quite a few changes in Washington this summer. Right now they have to find a way to get themselves tier one goaltender. Perhaps the Habs and Caps might talk some deals this summer seeing how Montreal will like go with Halak as their number one from now on and not Price.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I truly dipise the Caps and Ovechkin, so I was estatic that Montreal won last night. Fantastic game too. It was better than the Bucks-Hawks.

    I picked Vancouver and Pitt from the outset. Let's see if that comes to fruition.

  16. #16
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I truly dipise the Caps and Ovechkin, so I was estatic that Montreal won last night. Fantastic game too. It was better than the Bucks-Hawks.

    I picked Vancouver and Pitt from the outset. Let's see if that comes to fruition.
    Vancouver looked great in the first round. They're such a deep team from top to bottom. Pittsburgh and Crosby will no doubt be in the finals. Like you with Ovechkin, I depise Crosby but I think its mostly because I'm jealous of how talented the kid is. He was amazing against Ottawa in the 1st round and proved why he's the best in the NHL. WOW.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    WOW .... kudos to the Habs for taking down Goliath last night.

    I expect quite a few changes in Washington this summer. Right now they have to find a way to get themselves tier one goaltender. Perhaps the Habs and Caps might talk some deals this summer seeing how Montreal will like go with Halak as their number one from now on and not Price.
    Fo' real Doc.

    I think in order for the Caps to get that #1 tender, they're going to have to give up some of that depth they have on the blueline - Alzner, Carlsson. I can't see the Caps dealing with Montreal, but I can see Lecavalier going to MTL for Price.

    Wouldn't be surprised to see Kiprusoff being dealt to Washington.

  18. #18
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Kiprusoff being dealt to Washington.
    Kipper's past his prime don't you think, Hoops? That would be a risky move in opinion.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Vancouver looked great in the first round. They're such a deep team from top to bottom. Pittsburgh and Crosby will no doubt be in the finals. Like you with Ovechkin, I depise Crosby but I think its mostly because I'm jealous of how talented the kid is. He was amazing against Ottawa in the 1st round and proved why he's the best in the NHL. WOW.
    People slag on Sid beacuse he's vanilla. He doesn't have the pizzazz or give good interviews like Ovechkin, but all he does is win and lead his teams - Rimouski, team Canada - juniors and olympics and Pittsburgh. Ovechkin is flashy, but he's a terrible leader and he runs his mouth a bit too much.

    Vancouver addressed their bottom 2 lines in the offseason, and I think that will lift them above Chicago in the next round. They have much better depth than last season.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Kipper's past his prime don't you think, Hoops? That would be a risky move in opinion.
    I don't think this season was his fault, Doc. The Flames had a tough time scoring. Put him on a team like the Caps, and they'd be going to the finals next year (providing they don't give up Semin or Backstrom for him). Calgary would gladly give up Kipper for Alzner - who played his junior hockey in Calgary with the Hitmen and Carlson. They'd probably find a FA goalie to mind the net next season or just go with Irving.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •