Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Iverson in Toronto a good idea?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Iverson in Toronto a good idea?

According to Yahoo! Sports, Iverson has publicly stated that he would play for "any team" if it meant another shot at the NBA.

And with the recent hiring of Ed Stefanski, I wonder if the Raptors will have any interest in Iverson.

I personally think it would be a horrible idea, but you never know what these MLSE clowns are thinking...

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IF he's being genuine about playing for any team and taking a lesser role.. i'd be all for it..

that's a huge IF though. i'm not really willing to put money on him really being a changed man.

AI with a level head would be a welcome addition...

plus, at 5-10 minutes a game, idiot fans would still vote him into the all-star game... so we can at least say we'd have an all-star again.

Post Thanks / Like

idiot fans would vote yao ming in if he was still on the ballot.

god damn china, yi jianlin is going to be the starter for the east this year now.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

No way Colangelo would go for it. Thank goodness.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

we would probably get a couple of games broadcasted internationally though. that's the only positive i see it ending in.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Please god no.

Let him be a changed man with a veteran team looking for a cheap and productive guard off the bench.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Oct 27th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If he really was a changed man I would be all for it. But that's impossible so prob not. He's one of my all time favorite players and that ESPN 3030 doc on him seriously made me a little teary eyed.

But that's my heart thinkin, not my brain.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care how 'changed' he is (plus, I don't believe it). Regardless, signing Iverson as a washed up, over the hill, overrated, malcontent backup hardly fits with the rebuilding strategy.

And please don't even suggest that he would be a good mentor to the likes of DeRozan and whatever other young wings the Raps have on their roster, unless it's mentoring to upgrade the 'gangsta' quotient.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

send him to Miami. They could use some 4th quarter fearlessness and off the bench scoring in a bad way.

Post Thanks / Like

Boooooooooooooooo
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    According to Yahoo! Sports, Iverson has publicly stated that he would play for "any team" if it meant another shot at the NBA.

And with the recent hiring of Ed Stefanski, I wonder if the Raptors will have any interest in Iverson.

I personally think it would be a horrible idea, but you never know what these MLSE clowns are thinking...
    They just came out and said things are gonna change. They then hired one of the best defensive coaches in the game. Plus they're a young rebuilding team. How does he fit?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    idiot fans would vote yao ming in if he was still on the ballot.

god damn china, yi jianlin is going to be the starter for the east this year now.
    Bro stfu, I don't know why we Chinese can't vote for the only guy in the NBA that represents the population of china, and besides....that's racist.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys come on..... As the "place people dont wanna go cuz they lack exposure", more televised games, american scrutiny, more asses in seats at the ACC, are all positives that would outweight whatever money we would pay him, regardless of what's left of his game... either way, he helps us produce and people go crazy, or he and the team stinks and we et a good draft pick.

As long as there's no long term commitment, Im fine with him...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shee wrote: View Post
    Guys come on..... As the "place people dont wanna go cuz they lack exposure", more televised games, american scrutiny, more asses in seats at the ACC, are all positives that would outweight whatever money we would pay him, regardless of what's left of his game... either way, he helps us produce and people go crazy, or he and the team stinks and we et a good draft pick.

As long as there's no long term commitment, Im fine with him...
    It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is the immediate gratification of increased exposure and ticket sales, then, sure, signing Iverson would be a good idea. If your goal is to build a contender by developing the young players the team currently has, then it's a horrible idea. Personally, I'm all about the latter.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is the immediate gratification of increased exposure and ticket sales, then, sure, signing Iverson would be a good idea. If your goal is to build a contender by developing the young players the team currently has, then it's a horrible idea. Personally, I'm all about the latter.
    You're right... So am-I... But then again we only have 2 young guards to develop: plenty of minutes left for AI (maybe not by him but still..)

I'm not sure how much he can slow down the rebuilding process... And how sacrifices there are not worth the exposure and tickets sales and all...

Imagine the players too.. Wouldn't our young guys be stoked if you tell 'em AI is coming to play with them? With half of them probably idolizing him as they grew up... I tell you, it would hype the whole system up (players and fans).

Anyways my point was, as stupid as signing AI may sound, for Toronto, it may just be a good idea considering the reasons people have been shitting on us for a while now... Plus he's desperate... You should always look to capitalize when someone's desperate...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shee wrote: View Post
    You're right... So am-I... But then again we only have 2 young guards to develop: plenty of minutes left for AI (maybe not by him but still..)

I'm not sure how much he can slow down the rebuilding process... And how sacrifices there are not worth the exposure and tickets sales and all...

Imagine the players too.. Wouldn't our young guys be stoked if you tell 'em AI is coming to play with them? With half of them probably idolizing him as they grew up... I tell you, it would hype the whole system up (players and fans).

Anyways my point was, as stupid as signing AI may sound, for Toronto, it may just be a good idea considering the reasons people have been shitting on us for a while now... Plus he's desperate... You should always look to capitalize when someone's desperate...
    If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Signing Iverson to a rebuilding team is like getting a blow job from a crack whore.

The team already has 2 shooting guards and 2 point guards, all of whom should be playing at least 20 mpg. And DeRozan should be playing at least 30. So right off the bat, you've got an issue with not enough minutes to go around. If Iverson doesn't get enough minutes (or shots) he'll sulk. He's done it in the past and it's a good bet he'll do it in the future.

And then there's the whole practicing issue. Ya, the young players on the team will be stoked to play with Iverson, and then they'll see the example he sets. And that's not to mention him being renowned for partying and eating badly.

If people having been "shitting" on the Raptors for a while, signing a guy well past his prime and who's a good bet to do more damage than good to the team is certainly not going to change that. In fact, it will make the Raptors look a) desperate and b) badly managed. Both of which people called Memphis when they signed him.

So, no, it's not a good idea in any way shape or form.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Signing Iverson to a rebuilding team is like getting a blow job from a crack whore.
    That is quite the simile, Tim!
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Thanks / Like

Barbosa at this point is better than Iverson and plays the same role, a scoring combo guard.

As for those that think AI will put more fans in the seats, I wonder if that is true. I personally would not make a special point of seeing a washed up AI play reserved minutes on a bad team, I don't see the draw. Also, why would the NBA want to showcase Iverson and give the Raptors any more TV time, there are far too many other stars that are on better teams that will get those National games on TV.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea.
    that depends...

how many of her teeth have fallen out?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They just came out and said things are gonna change. They then hired one of the best defensive coaches in the game. Plus they're a young rebuilding team. How does he fit?
    You're absolutely right, he doesn't fit. But then again, we said the same thing about Turkoglu.

Thread Information