Is Iverson in Toronto a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shee wrote: View Post
    You're right... So am-I... But then again we only have 2 young guards to develop: plenty of minutes left for AI (maybe not by him but still..)

I'm not sure how much he can slow down the rebuilding process... And how sacrifices there are not worth the exposure and tickets sales and all...

Imagine the players too.. Wouldn't our young guys be stoked if you tell 'em AI is coming to play with them? With half of them probably idolizing him as they grew up... I tell you, it would hype the whole system up (players and fans).

Anyways my point was, as stupid as signing AI may sound, for Toronto, it may just be a good idea considering the reasons people have been shitting on us for a while now... Plus he's desperate... You should always look to capitalize when someone's desperate...
    If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Signing Iverson to a rebuilding team is like getting a blow job from a crack whore.

The team already has 2 shooting guards and 2 point guards, all of whom should be playing at least 20 mpg. And DeRozan should be playing at least 30. So right off the bat, you've got an issue with not enough minutes to go around. If Iverson doesn't get enough minutes (or shots) he'll sulk. He's done it in the past and it's a good bet he'll do it in the future.

And then there's the whole practicing issue. Ya, the young players on the team will be stoked to play with Iverson, and then they'll see the example he sets. And that's not to mention him being renowned for partying and eating badly.

If people having been "shitting" on the Raptors for a while, signing a guy well past his prime and who's a good bet to do more damage than good to the team is certainly not going to change that. In fact, it will make the Raptors look a) desperate and b) badly managed. Both of which people called Memphis when they signed him.

So, no, it's not a good idea in any way shape or form.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Signing Iverson to a rebuilding team is like getting a blow job from a crack whore.
      That is quite the simile, Tim!
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Barbosa at this point is better than Iverson and plays the same role, a scoring combo guard.

As for those that think AI will put more fans in the seats, I wonder if that is true. I personally would not make a special point of seeing a washed up AI play reserved minutes on a bad team, I don't see the draw. Also, why would the NBA want to showcase Iverson and give the Raptors any more TV time, there are far too many other stars that are on better teams that will get those National games on TV.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

If a crack whore comes up to you and offers to blow you for free, I'd say it's probably not a good idea.
          that depends...

how many of her teeth have fallen out?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            They just came out and said things are gonna change. They then hired one of the best defensive coaches in the game. Plus they're a young rebuilding team. How does he fit?
            You're absolutely right, he doesn't fit. But then again, we said the same thing about Turkoglu.

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
              Bro stfu, I don't know why we Chinese can't vote for the only guy in the NBA that represents the population of china, and besides....that's racist.
              Players should be voted as all-stars because of their performance on the court, and NOT because of the country he was born in.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Players should be voted as all-stars because of their performance on the court, and NOT because of the country he was born in.
                i agree with you in principle...

unfortunately, that's now how it works anymore.

apparently, the game is not the product anymore. the players are. the team concept has taken to being a quiet spectator of player's "brands"..

it's not right.. but neither is players demanding more revenue from their bosses.

the league has basically turned into the Jersey Shore. It's not about plot, structure, dialogue.. it's about the actors, and how many times per minute the situation can call himself "the situation"... it's about the drama... it's about idiots thinking they're more important than they actually are..

the NBA is slowly putting an end to it being a sport, and quickly making it a grand reality tv show.

miami will have three all-stars next year.... dallas, the team that beat them, will have one.

why?

because people who vote don't care about the game. they care about how many grenades the situation smushes, and if snooki is going to get arrested.

the NBA all-star game = the NBA dudes with the best PR reps game
                Last edited by heinz57; Fri Oct 28, 2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Let the veterans come then! No pun intended.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    i agree with you in principle...

unfortunately, that's now how it works anymore.

apparently, the game is not the product anymore. the players are. the team concept has taken to being a quiet spectator of player's "brands"..

it's not right.. but neither is players demanding more revenue from their bosses.

the league has basically turned into the Jersey Shore. It's not about plot, structure, dialogue.. it's about the actors, and how many times per minute the situation can call himself "the situation"... it's about the drama... it's about idiots thinking they're more important than they actually are..

the NBA is slowly putting an end to it being a sport, and quickly making it a grand reality tv show.

miami will have three all-stars next year.... dallas, the team that beat them, will have one.

why? people who vote don't care about the game. they care about how many grenades the situation smushes, and if snooki is going to get arrested.

the NBA all-star game = the NBA dudes with the best PR reps game
                    100% agree.

kinda sad to hear when players mention winning rings as a personal glory when there were 13 other players who also won those championships with him. The game has taken a tumble from being a team sport to a showboating competition.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      that depends...

how many of her teeth have fallen out?
                      hahaha Hank is going to be proud youve learned something from him.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                        100% agree.

kinda sad to hear when players mention winning rings as a personal glory when there were 13 other players who also won those championships with him. The game has taken a tumble from being a team sport to a showboating competition.
                        a championship strengthens brands. It's the sad state of society, to be honest.. people doing everything possible for their 15 minutes except for EARNING it... and we feed their unworthy delusionally entitled asses..

the glory used to be earning a title... nowadays the glory is being physically gifted enough to be good enough to win a title, even though you haven't..

think about this... i'll stay on miami, since i hate them... the person perceived as the best player on the team is actually only the second best player on the team... the person perceived as the 3rd best player on the team is actually the most clutch and dependable of them (and it pains me to admit that)

but the person percieved as the best will lead in all-star votes. because he has the biggest marketing machine behind him.

if im pat riley.... game seven of the finals, down by one, with seconds left.... i want the ball in giraffe-boy bosh's hands...

HELL... i want it in joel anthony's hands before lebrons... at least anthony hasn't proven yet if he can handle 4th quarter finals pressure.... lebron HAS proven he cant handle it. multiple times.

yet, his marketing machine is powerful.
                        Last edited by heinz57; Fri Oct 28, 2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

"yet, his marketing machine is powerful."

So powerful, that they have floated the idea that he is capable of reaching Warren Buffet like heights!!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I don't know what country your from, but everyone gets a swell of pride from their fellow countrymen, and everything is biased...so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

I want Iverson back just because everybody doesnt, hehehe

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
                                Bro stfu, I don't know why we Chinese can't vote for the only guy in the NBA that represents the population of china, and besides....that's racist.
                                actually, nothing about my post is racist. so, don't call me racist.

I actually never said Chinese I said China.

You guys voted for a guy who played two games last season. I actually would have preffered if you voted for Yi Jianlin because at least he played the majority of a season last year.

Actually, it is the nba's fault for not limiting the amount of votes a person can make. As a matter of fact it's their fault for putting the guy on the ballot.

I wouldn't point out China if everybody didn't know you're the ones voting for him. if all of Turkey voted for A.I. and everybody else didn't, he wouldn't make it in.

But, nobody votes for Yao except the 85 gazillion people in China and he makes it in... as a starter no less!

It's ridiculous and the NBA won't do a damn thing about it because China has so many people it's probably the biggest basketball fan base.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X