Colangelo hints at the Raptors plan whenever the offseason begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo hints at the Raptors plan whenever the offseason begins

He does have holes to fill — and with just 10 players under contract, he’s certainly got spots available — but as for some hugely significant free-agent signing? Fans may not want to get their hopes too high.

“Let’s just say that to go out and spend money this summer just to spend money would be probably swimming against the current of what the plan is actually about,” the Raptors president and general manager said this week after introducing new executive vice-president of basketball operations Ed Stefanski.

“And the plan is to acquire the right pieces, the correct pieces to keep adding to this nucleus that we have.”

Colangelo, though, may be more cautious than many. With a new coach, Dwane Casey, and a young core anchored by the likes of DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis to be augmented in the 2012-13 season by Lithuanian centre Jonas Valanciunas, he made it clear a “quick fix” wasn’t in his plans.

“If we feel like there’s a better opportunity in a subsequent free agency period to do that, then you move forward with sustained organic growth (of the current group),” he said.

There is, however, room for bodies. The Raptors have just 10 players under contract and up to five roster spots to fill. There is a need at almost every spot. A small forward and backup shooting guard would seem to be the most pressing needs.

Colangelo held out hope that he could address those needs with minor signings or trades as a way to revitalize a team that was 21-61 last season and missed the playoffs for the third straight year.

“It’s also probably prudent with a new coach implementing a whole new set of ideals, particularly on the defensive end of the floor, while adding to the roster (that we) do so in a prudent way,” he said.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ement-derailed

I love what he said. Can't agree more. Hopefully he stays with that plan.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

That's what I like about this team, I enjoy watching how the things will come out. How the young team develop and what it will become. There's nothing interesting to watch all star teams, with the best rooster smashing everything in their way. There's just no risk, no passion or excitement. I would rather cheer for outsiders, than for potential winners, that's why I prefer to cheer for Raptors. Looking forward to see how the team will look like after a few years.
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        That's what I like about this team, I enjoy watching how the things will come out. How the young team develop and what it will become. There's nothing interesting to watch all star teams, with the best rooster smashing everything in their way. There's just no risk, no passion or excitement. I would rather cheer for outsiders, than for potential winners, that's why I prefer to cheer for Raptors. Looking forward to see how the team will look like after a few years.
        you mean when the raps become the all star team smashing everything in their way?

Comment

we need to grab some young free agents to fill out the roster and contribute off the bench. i have some suggestions for some free agents we should target:

Wilson Chandler
          dajuan summers
          Jamaal Magloire
          Aaron Gray
          Daequan Cook
          Al Thornton
          Jason Collins
          CDR(Chris Douglas Roberts)
          Gary forbes

i was only looking at young players with potential. Which is why you don't see any big names in there. Some of the players i suggested aren't exactly young but they would fill out the roster and help us in the areas that need improving, players like jaamal magloire, jason collins, al thornton.
          Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Sun Oct 30, 2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            we need to grab some young free agents to fill out the roster and contribute off the bench. i have some suggestions for some free agents we should target:

Wilson Chandler
            dajuan summers
            Jamaal Magloire
            Aaron Gray
            Daequan Cook
            Al Thornton
            Jason Collins
            CDR(Chris Douglas Roberts)
            Gary forbes

i was only looking at young players with potential. Which is why you don't see any big names in there. Some of the players i suggested aren't exactly young but they would fill out the roster and help us in the areas that need improving, players like jaamal magloire, jason collins, al thornton.
            Chandler might be redundant if J.Johnson blossoms (but time will tell). Other than that, the only other person on this list who intrigues me is CDR...but primarily as a backup to DeRozan. But again, if Weems improves his game in Europe, there will be no need for CDR.

Comment

Did anyone hear the Colangelo interview on the Jeff Blair show (with Michael Grange)? Colangelo fully admitted to having trouble even saying the word, "rebuild", but claims he's fully committed to it, along with Stefanski. Let's hope he means it.

Comment

Wilson Chandler is in China with no opt-out, I don't believe ... otherwise, he'd be awesome under Casey
                Daequan Cook would be great as a long range threat off the bench
                Aaron Gray could also be a good body to take up space, but maybe not an improvement over in-house guys to play minutes there
                ... although the rest are probably more "reasonably attainable" than many other lists that get posted ... they're pretty boring, and not likely to add anything, imo.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Did anyone hear the Colangelo interview on the Jeff Blair show (with Michael Grange)? Colangelo fully admitted to having trouble even saying the word, "rebuild", but claims he's fully committed to it, along with Stefanski. Let's hope he means it.
                  I think he does for this season.

Come this summer though, summer 2012, I expect him to come out swinging for the fences with cap room, another high draft pick, and the roster he has already put together.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    Wilson Chandler is in China with no opt-out, I don't believe ... otherwise, he'd be awesome under Casey
                    Daequan Cook would be great as a long range threat off the bench
                    Aaron Gray could also be a good body to take up space, but maybe not an improvement over in-house guys to play minutes there
                    ... although the rest are probably more "reasonably attainable" than many other lists that get posted ... they're pretty boring, and not likely to add anything, imo.
                    well colangelo is commited to rebuilding so i don't think he'll sign any big names. I just posted players that i feel will be attainable to fill out the roster and play some good minutes off the bench. I'm Thinkin we sign Cook and A.Gray

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I think he does for this season.

Come this summer though, summer 2012, I expect him to come out swinging for the fences with cap room, another high draft pick, and the roster he has already put together.
                      That's my fear. This team has a lot of holes and no elite player(s). A core of Derozan, Davis, Val and 2012 pick is simply not good enough, unless that 2012 pick is a Kobe/Wade/Durant/Lebron type player.

I really want this team to win some games but they are just so far away from competing that waiting another year to let some of the young guys play out make sense to me. I've waited for ten years for this team to be decent, I can wait another 2 years if need be. Playoffs in 2014!

Comment

I think even if they don't land that top ten superstar type player, they have a lot talent and if they can keep them together and grow together they will become competitive. Eventually they're going to hit the jackpot in the draft. It's only a matter of time. I don't think they're going to be a playoff team in the next few seasons. That means at least two more kicks at the can. For that matter they may have already hit the jackpot. Val looks like one of the most talented players the Raptors have ever drafted. He looks like he could grow into the complete package. I know we're talking far off, as in five years from now but still. It's promising.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          That's my fear. This team has a lot of holes and no elite player(s). A core of Derozan, Davis, Val and 2012 pick is simply not good enough, unless that 2012 pick is a Kobe/Wade/Durant/Lebron type player.

I really want this team to win some games but they are just so far away from competing that waiting another year to let some of the young guys play out make sense to me. I've waited for ten years for this team to be decent, I can wait another 2 years if need be. Playoffs in 2014!
                          The Raptors need to draft a franchise player in 2012. Thankfully, not only will they have a good chance at drafting in the top five, there appears to be a number of potential elite players available. IF they are able to draft a franchise player, then they'll be in a fantastic position and a perfect situation to sign a good player. I don't know if they really want to draft ANOTHER young player in 2013. They'll most likely have all their positions filled with good, young prospects, already, and once the team has their core, then the faster you improve the better for everyone.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            well colangelo is commited to rebuilding so i don't think he'll sign any big names. I just posted players that i feel will be attainable to fill out the roster and play some good minutes off the bench. I'm Thinkin we sign Cook and A.Gray
                            Yeh, doesn't sound like he'll make a big splash ... bringing in Cook without hurting cap flexibility in a big way, is a move i'm into.
                            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Your underestimating this team a bit. Ed Davis didn't really play much last year but even with those limited minutes and only playing half a season he averaged very good numbers. DeMar might have a breakout year this season, same with JB. Ed and DeMar can become all stars maybe it will happen under casey, one of them is bound to become one eventually. Lets just wait and see what happens with the lockout situation first

Comment

Working...
                              X