Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Amnesty Signings for the Raptors..? Richard Jefferson (post 53)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    COuld it be that they're going to put themselves in the running for the Howard/Paul/Williams sweepstakes, too? It would be tough, but considering how much they need to start thinking about replacing Duncan, I wouldn't be surprised.
    That's what I was getting at. They probably want to be players in the market next summer.

Comment

If and when players start getting cut through amnesty, only players below the salary cap (not luxury tax) are able to bid. These teams are:

11. Utah Jazz
      $55,614,192

12. Cleveland Cavaliers
      $55,457,657

13. Philadelphia 76ers
      $54,858,763

14. Oklahoma City Thunder
      $53,605,750

15. Milwaukee Bucks
      $51,849,140

16. Phoenix Suns
      $49,182,654

17. Golden State Warriors
      $49,105,952

18. Minnesota Timberwolves
      $48,355,542

19. Detroit Pistons
      $48,263,032

20. Charlotte Bobcats
      $47,481,490

21. Houston Rockets
      $47,306,218

22. Toronto Raptors
      $46,879,433

23. Los Angeles Clippers
      $44,919,031

24. New Orleans Hornets
      $42,066,057

25. Washington Wizards
      $40,682,282

26. New Jersey Nets
      $39,814,161

27. Memphis Grizzlies (Matt52: Randolph's extension not included)
      $37,363,810

28. Indiana Pacers
      $36,957,444

29. Sacramento Kings
      $29,903,965

30. Denver Nuggets
      $28,883,142

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm#ixzz1fxDRF8tb

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Which is why I said 'at the expense of UPWARDS of $30M'.
        ok...he's owed $30M over the next 3 years. SA amnesties him; winning bid in the amnesty auction is for $15M (the length of the deal remains the same, so it works out to $5M/yr - not sure if that's reasonable or not, but it's at least plausible; doubt any team would bid higher, and it could certainly be lower, but let's go with this for my hypothetical scenario). SA is only on the hook for whatever isn't covered by the team that wins the bid...in this case, $15 (over 3 years).

so, yes, they'll have to pay his replacement (my guess is it'll be butler, but...given his injury history, could he not be had for around mid-level type money ($5M/yr; note: i'm not suggesting that the spurs use the MLE to sign butler, because they don't have the full MLE available to them); but they're under no obligation to match the term (i.e. it can be any length allowed, doesn't have to be 3 yrs), and they're only on the hook for $5M/yr for RJ. so if they sign butler to a 2-yr deal for $12M (total; $6M/yr), then their total expenditure for the next 3 yrs for RJ & butler is $27M. it's unlikely that this is what plays out, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

obviously, if he clears through the auction with no bids, he becomes a FA...and i have no idea what happens at that point. i assume that there are still protections built in for the team doing the amnestying, though as a FA signing, a team that signs him wouldn't be required to match the length of the deal. in such a case, if he signed for, say, the vet minimum, then my guess is that SA would be responsible for the net difference between what they owe him & what his new team owes him, averaged over 3 yrs. so, if he signs a 2-yr deal for $6M (total), then SA would be on the hook for $24M (or $8M annually over the next three years). does that make sense? fuck, i'm confused...paging larry coon...
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
          ok...he's owed $30M over the next 3 years. SA amnesties him; winning bid in the amnesty auction is for $15M (the length of the deal remains the same, so it works out to $5M/yr - not sure if that's reasonable or not, but it's at least plausible; doubt any team would bid higher, and it could certainly be lower, but let's go with this for my hypothetical scenario). SA is only on the hook for whatever isn't covered by the team that wins the bid...in this case, $15 (over 3 years).

so, yes, they'll have to pay his replacement (my guess is it'll be butler, but...given his injury history, could he not be had for around mid-level type money ($5M/yr; note: i'm not suggesting that the spurs use the MLE to sign butler, because they don't have the full MLE available to them); but they're under no obligation to match the term (i.e. it can be any length allowed, doesn't have to be 3 yrs), and they're only on the hook for $5M/yr for RJ. so if they sign butler to a 2-yr deal for $12M (total; $6M/yr), then their total expenditure for the next 3 yrs for RJ & butler is $27M. it's unlikely that this is what plays out, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

obviously, if he clears through the auction with no bids, he becomes a FA...and i have no idea what happens at that point. i assume that there are still protections built in for the team doing the amnestying, though as a FA signing, a team that signs him wouldn't be required to match the length of the deal. in such a case, if he signed for, say, the vet minimum, then my guess is that SA would be responsible for the net difference between what they owe him & what his new team owes him, averaged over 3 yrs. so, if he signs a 2-yr deal for $6M (total), then SA would be on the hook for $24M (or $8M annually over the next three years). does that make sense? fuck, i'm confused...paging larry coon...
          Again I point out I said SA is on the hook for UPWARDS of $30M.

Lets break it down:

If no team places a bid San Antonio pays $30M.
          If a team places a bid, San Antonio pays the difference.

So, theoretically, San Antonio could be on the hook for UPWARDS of $30M.

My apologies if I have not been clear.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Again I point out I said SA is on the hook for UPWARDS of $30M.

Lets break it down:

If no team places a bid San Antonio pays $30M.
            If a team places a bid, San Antonio pays the difference.

So, theoretically, San Antonio could be on the hook for UPWARDS of $30M.

My apologies if I have not been clear.
            matt - you've been clear, and i get what you're saying...it's certainly possible - if not probable - that the spurs could be on the hook for more than $30 when it's all said & done. i was just trying to point out that it's not a given, especially if the player being amnestied is considered to have high value in the market (which might not be the case for RJ).
            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

LarryCoon Larry Coon
              New rule for trading an amnestied player -- claiming team may not trade player until July 1.
              So much for acquiring an asset to trade this year.

Comment

Working...
              X