Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Amnesty Signings for the Raptors..? Richard Jefferson (post 53)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Picking up camby for a year or 2 as a place holder for Jonas Valanciunas aka junior varisty aka juvie aka juicey jo would also be acceptable. another pg or another sg is also an option if trades for jose and barbosa are planned.
    camby is not coming here unless we get steve nash at point and demar and bargnani put up 50 points a night.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I won't be surprised at all based on all the good press he's getting. I won't be surprised either if he doesn't do anything. I do wish he got a full camp with Casey...
      A full Training Camp would be lovely. Hopefully he's doing SOMETHING this summer to keep up.

Alabi was better than Thabeet last season.
      Can you really say someone who played 5 minutes a game, over 12 games (for a team with NO legit center), was better than someone who played 8 minutes a game for 47 games(For a team that has a VERY legit Center and then some)?

Is looking at per 36/48 even relevant at that amount of PT? They both were terrible by any standards, but at least Thabeet managed to play in 4X as many games as Alabi, and that was for a team that had Marc Gasol at C.
      We had .. who? And Alabi still couldn't crack a lineup?

My hopes are not high. I will be pleasantly surprised if he does anything of merit.
      Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 2, 2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Can you really say someone who played 5 minutes a game, over 12 games (for a team with NO legit center), was better than someone who played 8 minutes a game for 47 games(For a team that has a VERY legit Center and then some)?
        I sure can and while we're at it I guess we'll forget about everything else.

Is looking at per 36/48 even relevant at that amount of PT?
        Sure, why not.

They both were terrible by any standards, but at least Thabeet managed to play in 4X as many games as Alabi, and that was for a team that had Marc Gasol at C.
        Alabi was a second round pick. There was no pressure to rush him in. Thabeet is a 2nd overall pick. He's getting more PT by default. Let's not pretend that PT is only determined based on quality of play.

We had .. who? And Alabi still couldn't crack a lineup?
        The Raptors picked their project in the second round. No pressure.

My hopes are not high. I will be pleasantly surprised if he does anything of merit.
        My hopes aren't high either, he was a second rounder. I hated everything about Thabeet's game when he was drafted. He went high because of his stature, not because of his game. Alabi on the other hand had more game entering the league but dropped because of potential health issues. Alabi, in my opinion, has more potential.

Comment

I've gotta agree with Apollo. If Alabi doesn't work out for us, it's whatever. But if Thabeet doesn't show at least a little something this year then pretty much all hope should be gone in Houston IMO, but then again they just acquired him so they may be willing to give a little more time than Memphis would have.

But I'm pretty hyped from what I hear of Alabi this off-season, which I know doesn't mean much. If he can contribute decent minutes I'd rather develop him than sign an otherwise useless 30+ year old C on a team that is clearly rebuilding. The Raptors aren't going anywhere this year so I'd rather save the cap space for next season when JV and our next DP come in.

Comment

i second that
            "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Sure, why not?
              Why not Apollo? Because they don't mean anything. They in no way reflect what they would put up in an ACTUAL 36 minutes of game play.

I hated everything about Thabeet's game when he was drafted.
              You hated everything about his game? Ok. Weird. But fine.
              I saw a guy playing in a VERY GOOD program, average 13.5ppg, 11rpg and 4.2bpg as a Junior.
              Whats to hate?

He went high because of his stature, not because of his game.
              What do you even mean by this? "stature"? You think Professional NBA Scouts are going to go off just what they 'hear'? Ridiculous.
              Thabeet was a defense FORCE for UCONN.

Alabi on the other hand had more game entering the league but dropped because of potential health issues.
              What are you basing this off? Because by any metric I look at, that is a fallacy.
              Thabeet averaged MUCH better numbers (he's better across the whole board as Juniors and Career Averages) in a MUCH better program.
              Alabi was projected to go MAYBE #20. And maybe Second Round. He was all over the place. Thabeet was consistently projected Top 5.

Alabi, in my opinion, has more potential.
              I disagree.
              Last edited by Joey; Thu Nov 3, 2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                But I'm pretty hyped from what I hear of Alabi this off-season, which I know doesn't mean much. If he can contribute decent minutes I'd rather develop him than sign an otherwise useless 30+ year old C on a team that is clearly rebuilding. The Raptors aren't going anywhere this year so I'd rather save the cap space for next season when JV and our next DP come in.
                I'm not at all against developing him. Nor am I in favour of signing a useless 30+ C.

I'm just not getting my hopes up that Alabi will contribute significantly in the very near future.

Comment

Why not Apollo? Because they don't mean anything. They in no way reflect what they would put up in an ACTUAL 36 minutes of game play.

You hated everything about his game? Ok. Weird. But fine.
                  I saw a guy playing in a VERY GOOD program, average 13.5ppg, 11rpg and 4.2bpg as a Junior.
                  Whats to hate?

What do you even mean by this? "stature"? You think Professional NBA Scouts are going to go off just what they 'hear'? Ridiculous.
                  Thabeet was a defense FORCE for UCONN.

What are you basing this off? Because by any metric I look at, that is a fallacy.
                  Thabeet averaged MUCH better numbers (he's better across the whole board as Juniors and Career Averages) in a MUCH better program.
                  Alabi was projected to go MAYBE #20. And maybe Second Round. He was all over the place. Thabeet was consistently projected Top 5.

I disagree.
                  I disagree with you and I am basing my opinion on game footage and scouting reports.

Comment

Okie doke. Apparently we interept Game Footage and Scouting Reports differently as well.

Comment

Apparently I'm not the only one who holds my view around here so there is a chance I might have fell head first into the correct read...

Comment

I was never high on Thabeet. He was pushed around by Blair when Blair was at Pitt - and despite having 9 inches on the guy, he couldn't dominate. Even the semi-finals against MSU in 09, he was pushed around the court. The kid has no post moves to speak of, he lacks a lot of toughness, he gets backed down pretty easily, his motor has been questioned as has his heart. All of that speaks of a warning signs.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          I was never high on Thabeet. He was pushed around by Blair when Blair was at Pitt - and despite having 9 inches on the guy, he couldn't dominate. Even the semi-finals against MSU in 09, he was pushed around the court. The kid has no post moves to speak of, he lacks a lot of toughness, he gets backed down pretty easily, his motor has been questioned as has his heart. All of that speaks of a warning signs.
                          He started basketball late - like Alabi.

Thabeet's true passion is soccer - he just happened to be 7'2".

He made $20M and he'll be out of the league after next year.

I'll be interested to see if the HoopsWorld.com hype and the comments by Casey are realistic. If his knee really was such an issue and now he is healthy, then we never really saw what Alabi can do.

If Thabeet had any work ethic or desire to reach his potential I think he'd be a better prospect than Alabi - hands down. Unfortunately, he does not therefore the edge goes to Alabi. Neither have shown anything at the NBA level, the only difference is Alabi has had 2 less years and less opportunities in TOR last year than Thabeet was given in MEM (which is to be expected with a late 2nd round pick versus 2 overall).

Comment

It sounds like Alabi is going to get his shot this season if the season happens. If the roster stays as is for a few years then one might think that it may be now or never for Alabi in Toronto even though it doesn't seem fair.

Comment

It sounds like Alabi is going to get his shot this season if the season happens. If the roster stays as is for a few years then one might think that it may be now or never for Alabi in Toronto even though it doesn't seem fair.
                              He'll certainly have an easier time showing he belongs in '11-12 than when JV shows up the following year for the very same reasons why Thabeet was given a shot in MEM initially - he is a high draft pick.

I think he'll stick around beyond '11-12 though because his team option for '12-13 is a minimum contract ($854K).

Comment

Apparently I'm not the only one who holds my view around here so there is a chance I might have fell head first into the correct read...
                                Haha, Great way to sum up a debate Apollo. Very convincing...

You never addressed any of the specific points I made as to my confusion about your initial declaration.
                                You have your opinion on the matter, that is fine. But for you to say Alabi was 'better' than Thabeet last year, is pretty hilarious, and I've already explained why I think that is.

You may view it as 'correct' or 'incorrect', but once again, its opinion.
                                And there is really nothing to back up your opinion.
                                Where as I have brought up more than a few pieces to dispute your claims.

To clarify, I never ONCE said I was high on Thabeet. I'm not.
                                But I certainly don't hold out hope that Alabi will be any better.

To say that Alabi was viewed as a better Center Prospect than Thabeet was, coming in the NBA, is a lie. Flat out.

But to be honest, I don't see either of them in the league a couple years down the line.
                                Last edited by Joey; Thu Nov 3, 2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X