Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amir Johnson Conundrum - Gold or Fallacy? Part 2 begins in post 90

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I did check that on Yahoo Sports, but what they failed to mention was that he played quite a lot of games with the D-League, plus not playing any competitive games doesnt mean he is not going full-force on practice or pre-season games. Right now, i dont think its a concern, but it could (not saying it will) become one in the immediate future.
    I forgot about D-League.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    The last part of your statement is the reason why I think Ed will be moved. When it comes to trades, players like Andrea & Amir might have value, but it's the potential value (and rookie contract), that makes Davis a valuable trading commodity. A greater number of teams (poor & rich), will see the value in this type of guy.

The contrasting opinion will say - then why not keep him. The answer is simple. Raptors have needs in other positions. Any GM will tell you - you need to give something up, to get something good back. With Jonas, Andrea & Amir rounding out the Big situation (in this scenario), moving Ed becomes more palatable. A team with multiple 1st picks, or a duplicity of Small Forwards, might find Davis an interesting possibility. Raptors chances are better with draft picks & trades (for a PG, SF etc. pick-up). Free Agency is affected by the Canadian border roadblock - and fresh air that smells funny ... eh?

Trading Andrea may return something of value, but his contract will deter a number of teams. Johnson - while a valuable player - is a role player (IMO). An up and coming team would probably wish to find their own, and a Contender is probably sporting a AJ version already.

Ed is cheap and with great upside. That's worth more than you think, on the open market.

You nailed it.

The only way Andrea is moved is if he is a total flop next year with Casey. I'm actually rooting for his success because if Casey can get through to him in the other well known areas (effort, rebounding, help) and solid (or at least average) team defense can be achieved with him on the court, Bargnani is a definite asset and piece moving forward. Keep in mind while I am rooting for success that doesn't necessarily mean I believe it will happen - but I really would like to be proven wrong.

One other player that has been forgotten is Alabi. He is a true C - something Amir and ED are not. Casey told him before the lockout he could end up being the starting C for the Raps this year.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabi

One other player that has been forgotten is Alabi. He is a true C - something Amir and ED are not. Casey told him before the lockout he could end up being the starting C for the Raps this year.
    Yes ... I completely forgot about Alabi. At worst, he's our 4th Big. As we found out last year, 4 Bigs is an absolute minimum. A guy like JJ or Kleiza could provide additional support (in a limited capacity), if we ever experience what we did last year.
    If Alabi should leap to the Starting role - in a reasonably effective way - Davis will end up being moved faster than we think. Or at least I had thought.

Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Wed Nov 2nd, 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm torn on Amir. I like his hustle, his attitude, and his willingness to play through injuries. But I don't see him in our starting front court over Davis. Yes, he's still relatively young, but I don't see him getting much better than he currently is.

Having said that, if he can turn into the type of glue/chemistry guy that Haslem is for the Heat, then