The Amir Johnson Conundrum - Gold or Fallacy? Part 2 begins in post 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    That's a very reasonable argument if your assumption (Gary being 2nd center) is correct.

I am not sold yet on Gray being the primary backup center nor on JV being able to handle 24+ mpg starting next year so I don't have the same sense of urgency. I believe the issue will need to be addressed but my timeline is more generous, 1 to 1 1/2 year before it becomes an imperative.
    It may not be Gray, but whoever is the backup center next year just might be the 3rd big off the bench.

JV might not be able to handle 24+ mins, but he will have to. And IMO, he will handle it. I think he's already playing 22-25mins in Europe, i dont think he'll have a problem transitioning with the same or slightly more minutes in the NBA.

I think the problem if you wait to trade Amir is, one, this year's draft is big man heavy (or so ive heard), so teams will be able to shop for a big man, cheap. Next, if Ed does come out firing next season, Amir will have less minutes and most likely (im not saying "for sure") his trade value will go down as GMs wont see him play as much. Lastly, with JV, Bargs, Ed, JJ and possibly a C backup then Amir, you'll have 6 bigs in the rotation and if they do try to trade Amir, it will look like the team is desperate to get rid of a big that they will barely use and other GMs might offer cheaper deals than if Amir was still a 3rd/4th big off the bench.

In addition, like i said in my previous post, the shortned season has not been kind to bigs. Bogut is out, Gasol is struggling, Duncan is resting, Camby has been hurt, etc etc. Teams making a playoff push or deep seeding might be in the market for bigs and Amir is definitely a good candidate.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Feb 28, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X