JV Thoughts/Hopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV Thoughts/Hopes

So I work at a call centre (so take all of this with a grain of salt) and recieved a call from a gent with a different last name. I mentiond that it was Greek but he said Lithuanian. So after helping him out with his issue I asked if he was a basketball fan and he said he was a bit. Anyways, I had mentioned that the Raps have a young Lithuanian kids and he said something to the extent of *Toronto has no idea what they are getting. JV is a stud and Toronto will be very very happy with what they get*. Like I said, it was a call at a call centre so take it lightly but to me the guy came off as really genuine and so did the conversation. He spoke well enough of the guy that I am OFFICIALLY pumped for JV and the young core of the Raps.

Encouraging to hear, but since he's only a "bit" of a fan, maybe his knowledge of basketball isn't where it needs to be to provide a proper, unbiased evaluation of Valanciunas.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Encouraging to hear, but since he's only a "bit" of a fan, maybe his knowledge of basketball isn't where it needs to be to provide a proper, unbiased evaluation of Valanciunas.
      If his is Lithuanian, I'm sure his basketball knowledge is awesome. I think what he might be suffering from is a severe case of homerism which is understandable and to be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

I think JV is going to be a stud simply because he strikes me as a gamer, the kind of guy who takes losing personally and who will work relentlessly not only during games but also in practice. Just watching him set screen after screen tirelessly reminds of Joakim Noah, and he already seems to have a good feel for rolling to the bucket, which is huge. I think a lack of elite athleticism will keep him from being an all-defensive type and who knows how his offensive game will pan out (though it certainly shows signs of being better than was advertised going into the draft), but I think in time he can be a top-5 or even top-3 centre in the league and that's good enough for me.

Comment

I see him being (and having a career) like Brad Daugherty. Not a super athlete, but solid skill set and good basketball IQ. I think Jonas will be a better shot blocker and score a little less, but I like this comparison.

Here is a bad mix tape of Brad's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd1nl...eature=related
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            If his is Lithuanian, I'm sure his basketball knowledge is awesome. I think what he might be suffering from is a severe case of homerism which is understandable and to be taken with a grain of salt.
            We've probably all been guilty of it when looking at guys like Magloire and even Steve Nash to a certain degree.

I have only seen a small spec of JV's playing career but based on all the good press and the fact that the Spurs were trying to move Tony Parker to get him, it tells me enough. I'm really excited with initial expectations(years 1-3) being very low.

Comment

I watched pretty much every game of JV has played in since he's been drafted. Most of the stuff that guys here have been saying about him is accurate.

He works hard, plays solid defense, always is working/moving. He got a good defensive stance that allows him to dee up on the perimeter (a little bit). He's great in the pick and roll. He has the ability to cut hard to the basket catch a pass, take a step or two and get to the rim. All without bringing the ball below his forehead.

I also think it'll take him a 1-3 years to get really comfortable in the nba, but I think he will make an impact in his first year, similar to what Ed Davis did. JV may even be a bit more impressive since (hopefully) he won't be battling any injuries coming in. I'd be surprised if this guy isn't a top 5 center in the nba.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

If he can have an Ed Davis like first season I'll be thrilled.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  If he can have an Ed Davis like first season I'll be thrilled.
                  I will be happy, not thrilled. Also, it sure would be better if it is on a team that will win more than 22 games.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

just found this article:
                    http://torontosportsmedia.com/toront...overseas/11923

Comment

Working...
                    X