No announcement yet.

Amir Johnson as our starting center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has the kind of game that it doesn't matter and he was guarding both positions last year. Ed is tough and does the blue collar work. He will fit at either position and let's not make the assumption JV starts next year right out of the gate or that a trade isn't made before then to free up the looming log jam.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Well define the terms "center" and "power forward" to me in that case because I need to understand your definitions of those terms before I go any further down that line. What makes Joakim Noah a center?

My definition of a center is whoever the coach slots in at center. Whether or not that player is an effective center is another matter. I feel Davis would be an effective center if he added the muscle mass. The muscle mass means improved strength and ability to stand his ground. He's an effective defender and attacks the boards. That's all the Raptors need if he brings the size.
      I don't know if I can define it. It's more of a combination of size and gauging their game to be honest with you. I'm no scout or basketball talent evaluator but I think we all to a certain extent watch a players game and get a feel for what position they would be ideally suited. I think what makes Noah a 5 is that he played the position at Florida and came into the league defending 5's. Do I think there is a major difference in height and weight between the 2? No, not a lot but I do believe Noah is taller than him and I would wager that he weighs more than him. Don't get me wrong, Davis could possiblly play the 5 but if he is accustomed to the 4 I don't like the change especially when you have a real 5 slated to be on the team next year.

When I think about him guarding other 5's (M. Gasol, Howard, Bynum, Jordan, Chandler, McGhee, Nene, etc) I have some immediate concerns. Maybe he comes into camp diesel and he puts those concerns to rest but ever since his UNC days I've always thoght he was a prototypical 4.

Comment

If Davis packed on 20lbs they'll weigh the same. Davis was guarding anybody Triano told him to last season. Those players included centers. With his game and if he added that muscle I really don't see the issue here on most nights. He's probably the best person they have to put in there right now.

Comment

I think we might as well give Alabi all the minutes he can handle. He's young and has the size, although I don't know if he has much else. But considering we're tanking the season for a lottery pick anyways (Harrison Barnes!), might as well see if we have anything in Alabi (future big off the bench perhaps?). If he improves, great, and if not, then we can cut bait after the year while securing a high draft pick. David Thorpe's love for him is well documented, and while most of us think this borders on insanity, he's still a very trusted basketball mind.

Comment

Ice_man wrote: View Post
            But considering we're tanking the season for a lottery pick anyways (Harrison Barnes!)
            There we go again; the 'tank' for a better pick crowd chant rises up before the season even begins...

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              I think the point is that if Casey is going to truly hold players accountable on the defensive end, then Bargnani is most likely going to struggle to get consistent minutes. Sam Mitchell tried a little of that and people complained he didn't give Bargnani a chance.
              Who are you referring to when you say "people" in this statement? I was taking a break from the NBA at that point so I have no context.

Comment

Working...
              X