Question: Raptors rebuild timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Raptors rebuild timeline?

On the court, there remain many questions about the Raptors as they continue a three-year rebuilding process under new coach Dwane Casey.

However, if the terms reported for the new collective bargaining agreement all pan out, the Raptors — with a payroll of about $50 million committed to 10 players — will have some wiggle room regardless of what the final number is.

Whether they are able to pick up a bargain-priced veteran who is released by his current team is a possibility they will explore but general manager Bryan Colangelo may want to hold on to the financial “flexibility” and see how the start of the season shakes out.

Source: Doug Smith, Toronto Star

The bolded is the first time frame placed on the Raptors rebuild.

Does anyone know if this is Doug Smith connecting dots of 2 year deals with a third year team option or has Colangelo said at some point we are on a three year plan?

Personally, I think 3 years is a very reasonable expectation:

2011-12 - still treading water

2012-13 - significant additions made, very possible to be in playoffs, certainly no longer a pushover

2013-14 - most definitely in the playoffs.

Comment

Sounds about right to me
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

matt52 wrote: View Post
        personally, i think 3 years is a very reasonable expectation:

2011-12 - still treading water

2012-13 - significant additions made, very possible to be in playoffs, certainly no longer a pushover

2013-14 - most definitely in the playoffs.

2014-15 - lose in 2nd round

2015-16 - lose stars, miss playoffs

2016-17 - max 30 win, underachieve

2017-18 - coaches fired, gm fired, rebuild starts
        ftfy (You know it's going to happen )

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Source: Doug Smith, Toronto Star

The bolded is the first time frame placed on the Raptors rebuild.

Does anyone know if this is Doug Smith connecting dots of 2 year deals with a third year team option or has Colangelo said at some point we are on a three year plan?
          I don't think Colangelo has specified. Personally, I think he's going to go highly conservative, not pulling the trigger on anything that makes them leap forward right now because it's not going to amount to anything when two key pieces (JV and the 2012 1st rounder) are currently missing from the equation. My money is on him trying to pluck some cheap diamonds in the rough and riding out this shortened season with hopes of landing an excellent draft pick and then making a strong campaign next year; then using any cap space to complement their core at that point for that all important contract year. If he plays it right the Raptors could be back in the playoffs next season while keeping his rebuild plan intact.

Comment

Just hoping to win the draft lotto next season when Shabazz Muhammad enters the draft.

Comment

But seriously, I think we'll be pretty bad this season 2011-12, and we'll miss the playoffs next season as well (2012-13), but we'll make the playoffs in 2013-14.

Comment

2011-12 - will make some progress and win 34 to 37% of their games.
                2012-13 - significant additions but I am doubtful they will make the playoffs as the two rookies must adjust to the NBA (I am assuming no big free-agent signing for the Raptors). A strong finish could encourage free-agents to consider Toronto as a destination.
                2013-14 - must make the playoffs and, at a minimum, be competitive in the first round for Colangelo to have a shot at another extension. I think we'll know in Summer 2014 whether the window of opportunity is nailed shut or open wide enough to warrant a short term plan.

Comment

2012 - 2013 well make it as 7th or 8th seed easy. DeMar will be much better, Ed will be much better, andrea will most likely be gone and JV and 2012 pick/picks(Barnes/Miller and/or Kabongo/Donyall Marshall) will be tearin it up. 2013 - 2014 will be 2nd or 3rd round exits and they following season will be championship.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    2011-12 - will make some progress and win 34 to 37% of their games.
                    2012-13 - significant additions but I am doubtful they will make the playoffs as the two rookies must adjust to the NBA (I am assuming no big free-agent signing for the Raptors). A strong finish could encourage free-agents to consider Toronto as a destination.
                    2013-14 - must make the playoffs and, at a minimum, be competitive in the first round for Colangelo to have a shot at another extension. I think we'll know in Summer 2014 whether the window of opportunity is nailed shut or open wide enough to warrant a short term plan.
                    Completely agree

Comment

I think the goal should be to get a center and shooting forward through trade or free agency and get back into competitive basketball asap. Three lottery picks in a row already. The Raptors need to lose the perennial doormat status through intelligent roster moves. I am putting faith in Bryan Colangelo not to tank this season.

Comment

Working...
                      X