Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd give Battier a $22-$24 million contract for 5 years. With all the qualities you mentioned - high IQ, perfect role player - he would be outstanding for the Raptors. He'd help shift the culture which is what we desparately need. Casey is a good start, but a coach in my opinion doesn't really have that much power in the NBA unless your name is Phil, Greg or Jerry (and both Jerry and Phil are out of jobs right now).
    Battier is 32. How's that contract going to look in two years?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd give Battier a $22-$24 million contract for 5 years. With all the qualities you mentioned - high IQ, perfect role player - he would be outstanding for the Raptors. He'd help shift the culture which is what we desparately need. Casey is a good start, but a coach in my opinion doesn't really have that much power in the NBA unless your name is Phil, Greg or Jerry (and both Jerry and Phil are out of jobs right now).

We have a lot of young talent, and no veterans other than Jose - and Jose is not really the leader our team needs. You bring in Battier, and our team will be even better a year or two from now.

If we amnesty Linas, trade Bargnani for picks and expiring contracts, trade Barbosa, and let Jose's contract expire in two years - Battier's contract won't be so bad.. he would be a mid-level player earning his keep - the same amount Jarrett Jack made yet no one seemed to care.

Also now a days a 32-year old player is still young in the NBA, especially when you see players like Allen, Nash, Garnett and Kobe still playing strong.

Your wish to have Battier play for a contender sounds great - but wouldn't it be better if that happened while he was a Raptor in say 3 or 4 years, while helping mold our team to become such a contender in the next 2 years?

There are only a few players I'd try and get my hands on, even as a rebuild is taking place.. Battier is one of those guys for me.
    Battier is 33; after five years he'll be 38 in his last year and still on the payroll. Right now there are only about 15/20 guys over 36 in the league and maybe half of them play significant mintues. Bad plan signing him on a long contract.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray Allen is 36 and Steve Nash is 37.. yet these guys are still playing strong, and would probably play for a few more years.

When Battier is 35/36/37, we'll be contenders. In the meantime he's earning his keep by helping change the culture of our team into a gritty defensive team.. the kind you need to be a contender.

The age doesn't matter as much to me I guess.. considering the type of talent I'm getting back. I just think that the knowledge that a lot of NBA players (and athletes in general) have to help have a long lasting career shouldn't make someone who's 32 now going into his last contract a bad thing, especially one that seems to be one of the smartest players in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray Allen and Steve Nash are exceptions to the rule. Is it best plan the future based on rare occurrences or is it best to plan the future based on the norm?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ray Allen and Steve Nash are exceptions to the rule. Is it best plan the future based on rare occurrences or is it best to plan the future based on the norm?
    I actually think those rare occurrences are becoming the norm based on the improvements in training, diet and nutrition programs.. but you have to look at each individual athlete and their track record to see which slot they would fit in. Battier in my opinion is more like Allen and Nash then what you would consider the norm. He doesn't have that many nba games under his belt since he came in as a senior - he has a very strong IQ and is considered one of the smartest guys in the league.

It's the risk takers that end up on top though, not the guys that do what everyone else does. Can you name me another player like Battier who is younger and worth about $5 million or less? Even in two years time, I can't think of someone like that - someone who wants to guard the Lebron's, Wade's, or Carmelo's of the league, do a heck of a job, not complain afterwards, and help train the young guys on the team how to do the same thing he just did.

Just like Nash would be a great mentor for a future PG.. Battier could be that mentor for our wings.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd need to see proof of that. There's a difference between collecting a pay cheque and playing at a high level. Steve Nash and Ray Allen have been playing at a high level... Well Allen was up to