Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 297

Thread: Free Agency 2011

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Just read this from Haberstroh over at espn.com (insider), in his 'best free agent fits' piece:



    Stuckey's QO is at 3.9 million rounded up, so you're probably looking at around 5ish or more to pry him away from Detroit. I'm thinking probably not worth it since you've got a free year for Bayless to prove himself and there's no shortage of quality point guards in the NBA right now so going after one down the line probably won't be that tough, but it's an interesting idea. Discuss!
    We have two score first make passes later point guards already. No need for a third in my opinion.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    We have two score first make passes later point guards already. No need for a third in my opinion.
    ugg Stuckey.

    Guy is tough as nails and a solid defender.... but he doesn't pass and can't hit a 3 to save his life. Not exactly pg material in my books.

    Calderon > Bayless > Stuckey

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    Sure his career ended quick. One year you are playing, the next you aren't. That doesn't mean he would have been ineffective if he stuck around for a few more. (doesn't mean he would have been effective either ofcourse).

    That said, being 'smart' when one ends their career is probably a rarity for alot of athletes. Bowen did it like alot of players should, but seem not to.

    And a players defense is unquestionably helped by his team, which makes DRTG a bit of a 'harder' stat to work with (not to mention who a player covers... ie. a guy like Bowen almost always got the tougher check). Hedo for instance had a DRTG of 110 with Phoenix last year and 103 with Orlando. I just used it to give a rough idea of where he stood compared to most.


    But this whole idea of losing athleticism and no longer being an effective defender I just don't think is true. There is ofcourse a point where its inevitable (especially with injuries/wear and tear etc). But a guy like Battier could easily finish out his career similar to how Bowen did and be extremely useful for another 3-5 years.

    (again not by any means saying that the Raps should sign Battier)
    Bowen couldn't catch onto a team at the end. Even the Spurs didn't want him back even though it wouldn't have cost them anything. He was completely done.

    While athleticism is not necessary for big men to still be decent defenders, on the wing you need to be able to stay with your man. And one big difference between Battier and Bowen is that Battier was never the most quick footed defender, anyway, so him losing a step or two would affect him A LOT more than other guys.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    ugg Stuckey.

    Guy is tough as nails and a solid defender.... but he doesn't pass and can't hit a 3 to save his life. Not exactly pg material in my books.

    Calderon > Bayless > Stuckey
    I fourth that. That would be an awful pickup. Haberstroh doesn't impress me if he thinks Stuckey would be a perfect fit for the Raptors. I do like his comment that Stuckey become a better distributor last year. From bad to not very good!
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  5. #65
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    5th.

    I think he always pops up on people's radar because he has great size and just like we see in the draft, size gets overrated time and time again.

  6. #66
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default News wire

    Not that it matters to us but Gasol probably isn't going anywhere:
    People with knowledge of Heisley's thinking are convinced that the Grizzlies will match any offer sheet Gasol signs with another suitor. Memphis would have three days to match under the proposed collective bargaining agreement.
    Source: Commercialappeal.com

    Biedrins won't be cut:
    The Warriors say they're not considering an amnesty for Biedrins. Instead, they want to make a push to acquire a big man, such as Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan or Nene.
    Source: sfgate.com

  7. #67
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In addition to the ESPN article ranking Stuckey at #7 for the Raptors, there was also the obvious...

    2. Tyson Chandler -- Toronto Raptors
    Chandler could decide to return to the Mavericks, but he could also choose to follow Dwane Casey from the Dallas Mavericks' bench to Toronto. Casey, the newly hired Raptors head coach, was the defensive guru behind the Mavericks' wall that stifled the Los Angeles Lakers and the Miami Heat en route to a title.

    Chandler flourished as the anchor to Casey's system, and the Raptors have the cash to offer the center big money. Of course, Dallas owner Mark Cuban notoriously breaks the bank for his centers, so there's a good chance Chandler will defend the title. However, a Casey and Chandler connection would be ideal for Toronto.

  8. #68
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What would someone think if the Raptors pulled a S&T Amir + TPE(if still in play) for Chandler?

    Edit: Wait, S&T's are outlawed now. My bad.

  9. #69
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just looked up the 2012 FA list and it completely reaffirmed that going after Stuckey makes absolutely no sense. Here's a sampling of the point guards from the 2012 class:

    Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls – $7.0 million – Restricted ($9.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.1 million – Restricted ($6.7 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $1.7 million – Team Option ($2.7 million)
    Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
    Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
    Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
    Chauncey Billups, New York Knicks – $14.2 million – Unrestricted
    Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
    Toney Douglas, New York Knicks – $1.1 million – Team Option ($2.1 million)
    D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
    Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Magic – $19.3 million – Early Termination Option ($20.8 million)
    George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)


    Now I'm not saying that the Raps have any shot at the bigger names on that list, this is just to illustrate how many quality point guards will be on the market. BUT with so many teams competing for the big names, that means the Raps could find some bargains like the last guy on that list, George Hill.

    edit: no S&Ts? Boooo, there goes my draft Davis and pry Westbrook from OKC wet dream.

    re-edit: Or would he qualify for an E&T, which seems to be doable in the new CBA? Does anyone know the rules there?
    Last edited by Lark Benson; Mon Nov 28th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

  10. #70
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I just looked up the 2012 FA list and it completely reaffirmed that going after Stuckey makes absolutely no sense. Here's a sampling of the point guards from the 2012 class:

    Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls – $7.0 million – Restricted ($9.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.1 million – Restricted ($6.7 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $1.7 million – Team Option ($2.7 million)
    Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
    Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
    Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
    Chauncey Billups, New York Knicks – $14.2 million – Unrestricted
    Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
    Toney Douglas, New York Knicks – $1.1 million – Team Option ($2.1 million)
    D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
    Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Magic – $19.3 million – Early Termination Option ($20.8 million)
    George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)


    Now I'm not saying that the Raps have any shot at the bigger names on that list, this is just to illustrate how many quality point guards will be on the market. BUT with so many teams competing for the big names, that means the Raps could find some bargains like the last guy on that list, George Hill.

    edit: no S&Ts? Boooo, there goes my draft Davis and pry Westbrook from OKC wet dream.

    re-edit: Or would he qualify for an E&T, which seems to be doable in the new CBA? Does anyone know the rules there?
    See post 399 in the Lockout thread for a link to the actual proposal.

  11. #71
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    In addition to the ESPN article ranking Stuckey at #7 for the Raptors, there was also the obvious...
    Source? I just wanna read the full article.

  12. #72
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    What would someone think if the Raptors pulled a S&T Amir + TPE(if still in play) for Chandler?

    Edit: Wait, S&T's are outlawed now. My bad.
    S&T's are not outlawed... the benefits of Bird Rights are no longer with them though.

    The TPE cannot be combined and with only around $9.1M remaining on it, I don't see that being enough for Tyson. However, Amir's contract plus Raptor cap space should do it so no need for TPE.

  13. #73
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    George Hill is yet another SG in a PG's body. I'd prefer to grab a pure, pass first, run the offense, type of PG....perhaps via a 2nd pick in next year's draft.

  14. #74
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    George Hill is yet another SG in a PG's body. I'd prefer to grab a pure, pass first, run the offense, type of PG....perhaps via a 2nd pick in next year's draft.
    Well so would I, but the chances of grabbing a solid PG like that in the second round are pretty freaking slim. In fact I can't think of a single one that's in the league right now that's good enough to play starter's minutes.

  15. #75
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Source? I just wanna read the full article.
    It's in the Insider Section of ESPN. If you want me to post the full article, let me know.

  16. #76
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Well so would I, but the chances of grabbing a solid PG like that in the second round are pretty freaking slim. In fact I can't think of a single one that's in the league right now that's good enough to play starter's minutes.
    I meant a 2nd pick, not a 2nd round pick. But Colangelo will have to pull a few strings to make that happen

  17. #77
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    S&T's are not outlawed... the benefits of Bird Rights are no longer with them though.

    The TPE cannot be combined and with only around $9.1M remaining on it, I don't see that being enough for Tyson. However, Amir's contract plus Raptor cap space should do it so no need for TPE.
    Ugh, it's going to take me a while to get up to speed again. I could have sworn I read S&T was banned but E&T was staying. So we're certain you can't pair the TPE with a player in the new system?

  18. #78
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i actually like the idea of stuckey but only if he's going to play SG or be 6th man. as duly noted he's not a facilitator by any means but he's a fantastic scorer and can defend. has demar put on any muscle this summer? play him at the 3 (for a year at least) and stuckey at SG and lets do this.
    @jerboat

  19. #79
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    gary forbes is another FA i really like. nice success story and hard worker. i assume the nugs are going to resign him though since their retarded 3 players are stuck in china for the year.
    @jerboat

  20. #80
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ugh, it's going to take me a while to get up to speed again. I could have sworn I read S&T was banned but E&T was staying. So we're certain you can't pair the TPE with a player in the new system?
    I do not believe you can combine TPE with players salary.... I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

    Teams that are in the tax are governed by the old 125% + 100K rule.
    Non tax teams can do 150% + 100K or 100% + $5M whichever is less.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •