No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are lots of guys in the league who are arguably good enough to make the all-star game in any particular year given the right situation (Rashard Lewis). They're not perinatal all-stars but they're better than your average starter. Bargnani is below average on defense but what he brings on offense is certainly above average. He could arguably become an all-star at some point based on his stat line no matter what his impact to this club is. He's not an average player. He's a very unique player who hasn't found his way yet but he's young and there is still hope. He has more value than an average starter. We as Raptors fans tend to underrated his market value because of our frustrations with him. That's my take on it anyway.

A 25 year old legit seven footer who can score from anywhere on the floor and who just posted excellent offensive numbers is going to draw more attention than your average starter. I think that's a fair statement. Who's with me?

Comment

• If David West can make the all star team in the west Bargs could certainly make it in the right situation
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        There are lots of guys in the league who are arguably good enough to make the all-star game in any particular year given the right situation (Rashard Lewis). They're not perinatal all-stars but they're better than your average starter. Bargnani is below average on defense but what he brings on offense is certainly above average. He could arguably become an all-star at some point based on his stat line no matter what his impact to this club is. He's not an average player. He's a very unique player who hasn't found his way yet but he's young and there is still hope. He has more value than an average starter. We as Raptors fans tend to underrated his market value because of our frustrations with him. That's my take on it anyway.

A 25 year old legit seven footer who can score from anywhere on the floor and who just posted excellent offensive numbers is going to draw more attention than your average starter. I think that's a fair statement. Who's with me?
        This is turning into a Bargnani thread

He's a gifted offensive player, but doesn't shoot at a high percentage, and is better as a 2nd or 3rd option. But yes, he can be seen as a good player by other GM's.

Being as objective as you can, can you list 5 guys in the NBA that you think Bargnani can be traded for 1 for 1 if salary was not an issue? Who in your opinion can he be compared to? In my opinion Bargnani is a very good role player.

He therefore in my definition is a prototypical type C player - very similar to Hedo, Odom, Crawford, Millsap, Terry, West. Guys that may make one all-star team in their lifetime, but are either going to win you a 6th man or will play significant starter minutes. Bargnani is going to be paid $42M in 4 years.. not really worth his value. Will another team take him, and if so, what do they give back? Another type C player?

Some GM will take him - heck Bryan unloaded Turk. However, who is he going to get back? There is only one Barbosa's flying around in the league, and we already have him.

We could trade him for Odom who has a team option next year, so is a free agent after this year. That would work for me.. but LA may want the cap space to avoid luxury tax. It doesn't really do anything for LA but get rid one of the Kardashian idiots from LA for a season, and LA has enough size down low already.

If you are okay with a bench player/veteran and possibly a draft pick, then we need to find a suitor who has cap space.

It won't be easy to move Bargnani, and it would be 10X harder if he doesn't improve much after this season because his stock would have dropped much further, and his salary is only going up.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          This is turning into a Bargnani thread
          It has something to do with the topic though. We're talking about additions via free agency and the potential ramifications. A lot of people are saying "if we don't get this guy then Bargnani needs to be traded" or "if we do get that guy Bargnani needs to be traded". If Bargnani is going to be traded then let's get his market value correct and I assure you if you want to know what Bargnani's market value really is the last people you want to talk to are Raptors fans.

Comment

• Casey defines what Raptors are targeting

JS: OK, so no specific names, but what would you like to add to this roster right now? A centre and a veteran presence seem like obvious needs.

DC: I would say those two things. Leadership and rim protection is huge. Veteran leadership that's going to set the tone defensively and in the locker room. That player will bring a degree of professionalism, because again, we're a young team. The one thing I want to do is change the culture to a defensive mentality and that's uncomfortable sometimes, so we probably will need a veteran to come in and help change that culture to that defensive mentality. You do need that leadership, but we need someone who still can play. You don't want someone to come in and just be a veteran. We want someone to contribute on the court and in the locker room and give us that type of presence within our organization.
            Source: NBA.com

Comment

• Marc Stein was tweeting this morning with regards to the Raptors Free Agent Center decisions. Here is what he had to say:

Toronto was one of those teams that woulda loved to get in Marc Gasol mix. But hearing now Raps prefer to roll cap space into next summer
              Tyson Chandler another C that Raps initially planned to chase, given Dwane Casey's defensive bent and how he'd fit next to Bargnani. BUT ...
              TOR would need to amnesty someone to have enough cap space to get into race for top Cs. Teams told now they have no shot at RFA Gasol anyway
              http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

There is so many contradictory statements being shared currently with regards to the Raptors decision making, particularly in connection with our starting Center. Some are saying Tyson...others Hayes...then no one...then hard after Gasol.

I can't help but feel that Toronto's current cap situation ($7-10 mil depending on cap hold...more if we use amnesty) is being used by different agents and representatives as a form of leverage. It seems much more likely that if Toronto is to make a splash in Free Agency, it will be of the more minor moves with the hopes of working towards 2012-2013 (as Marc Stein mentions here).

Personally, I think am hoping for a continued slow process. For many, a similar hope is routed in the hope that the 2012 draft could be franchise changing then (Davis, Drummond, Barnes, Miller, etc.). I too can't help but hope in the upcoming draft (as all fans of weak teams do). But in reality my hope for small moves is routed more in a desire to see a changed approach in our front office. I simply want to see BC and company remain true to what they have been preaching for the last 10 or so months...that they are committed to growing organically through a proper rebuild.

I for one hope that Marc Stein is correct.
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                Marc Stein was tweeting this morning with regards to the Raptors Free Agent Center decisions. Here is what he had to say:

http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

There is so many contradictory statements being shared currently with regards to the Raptors decision making, particularly in connection with our starting Center. Some are saying Tyson...others Hayes...then no one...then hard after Gasol.

I can't help but feel that Toronto's current cap situation ($7-10 mil depending on cap hold...more if we use amnesty) is being used by different agents and representatives as a form of leverage. It seems much more likely that if Toronto is to make a splash in Free Agency, it will be of the more minor moves with the hopes of working towards 2012-2013 (as Marc Stein mentions here).

Personally, I think am hoping for a continued slow process. For many, a similar hope is routed in the hope that the 2012 draft could be franchise changing then (Davis, Drummond, Barnes, Miller, etc.). I too can't help but hope in the upcoming draft (as all fans of weak teams do). But in reality my hope for small moves is routed more in a desire to see a changed approach in our front office. I simply want to see BC and company remain true to what they have been preaching for the last 10 or so months...that they are committed to growing organically through a proper rebuild.

I for one hope that Marc Stein is correct.

It appears this is the correct interpretation of the Raptors thinking.

Don't forget though it was Stein who 2 days ago said the Raptors were going to make a push to get Nene/Gasol/Chandler.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  It appears this is the correct interpretation of the Raptors thinking.

Don't forget though it was Stein who 2 days ago said the Raptors were going to make a push to get Nene/Gasol/Chandler.
                  I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with what some of those players are apparently asking for now:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/0...evel.contracts

Marc Gasol - 15 mil
                  Nene - 18 mil
                  Chandler - 20 mil

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with what some of those players are apparently asking for now:

Marc Gasol - 15 mil
                    Nene - 18 mil
                    Chandler - 20 mil
                    I think its the perfect time to be a free agent. With amensty cuts and a lot of teams with cap space, these guys could command a lot of coin and get it too. However if Gasol is Memphis' #1 choice, that should make Gay expendable.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I think its the perfect time to be a free agent. With amensty cuts and a lot of teams with cap space, these guys could command a lot of coin and get it too. However if Gasol is Memphis' #1 choice, that should make Gay expendable.
                      I hope it makes Gay expendable but I think Mayo is the one expendable now (even more than before).

Comment

Marc Gasol - 15 mil
                        Nene - 18 mil
                        Chandler - 20 mil
                        Yeah, I saw that earlier and nearly fell out of my chair.

I think the rumours about the Raptors might have been BC doing due diligence and talking to some agents to find out the asking price and then quickly ending the call.

Comment

Marc Gasol - 15 mil
                          Nene - 18 mil
                          Chandler - 20 mil
                          I like these guys, but I don't think any of them are worth the money they are apparently seeking. I can see Gasol getting that money, but not Nene or Chandler. Neither of those guys has even made an All-Star team and their asking for franchise player money? I thought Rudy Gay was overpaid, but at least he's young enough with enough potential that he might one day earn it. Neither Chandler or Nene are getting any better and both have a history of injuries.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I hope it makes Gay expendable but I think Mayo is the one expendable now (even more than before).
                            If they pay Gasol that, I think both might be. No way they can afford Gay, Gasol and Randolph. That would be almost $58 million for just three players. That's A LOT of money for a core of a 47 win team that hasn't gone beyond the second round.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              If they pay Gasol that, I think both might be. No way they can afford Gay, Gasol and Randolph. That would be almost $58 million for just three players. That's A LOT of money for a core of a 47 win team that hasn't gone beyond the second round.
                              Down the road that could be the case but initially you are looking at around $50M for 3 players.

Randolph's contract was an average of $17.75M per season (4 years/$71M)
                              Gay's is an average of $17M.
                              Gasol would be an average of $16M.

Add in Conley's contract and Toney Allen of around $10M we are at $60M and that is their starting lineup.

Henry and Arthur still on rookie deals, Smith on a minimum contract, and Selby on a 2nd round pick.
                              They have $10M to round out the roster without worrying about the luxury tax with

blah blah blah. Here is their salary situation http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

Bottom line: they should be fine in 2011-12 without worrying about the luxury tax. The time Gay might be traded would be if:

1) they struggle during the regular season, then trade deadline,

2) they fizzle in the playoffs, then next summer

3) they think they can become more competitive with the pieces Gay would fetch, then again next summer.

Comment

• Trade for Henry!
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X