No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to add something quickly. Below are some of the players that will be free agents in 2012 aside from the big names like Howard, Paul, etc. Now obviously none of these names are going to jump out at you as must-haves. But they're all players that will be second thoughts for the teams with big money to spend because there's so much top-level talent available next summer. The Raps are going to be one of those teams with a lot of money to spend, but without much hope of landing a big free agent, that money could very well be used to pick up a couple of the players mentioned below on the cheap and fill out the roster around the existing players and 2012 pick. This is especially true on the wings.

PG
    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted*

SG
    Landry Fields, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
    Mickael Pietrus, Phoenix Suns – $5.3 million – Unrestricted
    Courtney Lee, Houston Rockets – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
    Rudy Fernandez, Dallas Mavericks – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)

SF
    Danilo Gallinari, Denver Nuggets – $4.2 million – Restricted ($5.6 million Qualifying Offer)
    Nic Batum, Portland Trail Blazers – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
    Chase Budinger, Houston Rockets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
    Sam Young, Memphis Grizzlies – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Ignoring PFs since we're loaded there

C
    Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers – $2.6 million – Restricted ($3.7 million Qualifying Offer)
    JaVale McGee, Washington Wizards – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
    Omer Asik, Chicago Bulls – $1.9 million – Unrestricted*

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Down the road that could be the case but initially you are looking at around $50M for 3 players.

Randolph's contract was an average of $17.75M per season (4 years/$71M)
      Gay's is an average of $17M.
      Gasol would be an average of $16M.

Add in Conley's contract and Toney Allen of around $10M we are at $60M and that is their starting lineup.

Henry and Arthur still on rookie deals, Smith on a minimum contract, and Selby on a 2nd round pick.
      They have $10M to round out the roster without worrying about the luxury tax with

blah blah blah. Here is their salary situation http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

Bottom line: they should be fine in 2011-12 without worrying about the luxury tax. The time Gay might be traded would be if:

1) they struggle during the regular season, then trade deadline,

2) they fizzle in the playoffs, then next summer

3) they think they can become more competitive with the pieces Gay would fetch, then again next summer.
      Apparently I can't do math. For some reason I came up with $58 million.

I can see them trying to go with it for now, but I don't see that team being any more than an Atlanta of the West the way it's presently constructed. They overpaid Gay, and unless he turns into a superstar, they're going to regret it. Then they overpaid Randolph who, while an excellent offensive player and rebounder, is a poor defender. And while I like Gasol, $15 million is a lot to pay a center who's not elite defensively and only averaged 11 and 7 last year.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Apparently I can't do math. For some reason I came up with $58 million.

I can see them trying to go with it for now, but I don't see that team being any more than an Atlanta of the West the way it's presently constructed. They overpaid Gay, and unless he turns into a superstar, they're going to regret it. Then they overpaid Randolph who, while an excellent offensive player and rebounder, is a poor defender. And while I like Gasol, $15 million is a lot to pay a center who's not elite defensively and only averaged 11 and 7 last year.
        I'd agree with this and you didn't even mention what if Randolph rests on his laurels now that he 'got paid' - again.

Either way, I still think they go with it for this season. It will be interesting to see what happens at the trade deadline and draft - well, it always is but specifically for Gay.

Comment

I'd agree with this and you didn't even mention what if Randolph rests on his laurels now that he 'got paid' - again.

Either way, I still think they go with it for this season. It will be interesting to see what happens at the trade deadline and draft - well, it always is but specifically for Gay.
          I'd like to see them wait until the end of the season and then if the Raptors need to, they could take him off Memphis' hands.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
            Just wanted to add something quickly. Below are some of the players that will be free agents in 2012 aside from the big names like Howard, Paul, etc. Now obviously none of these names are going to jump out at you as must-haves. But they're all players that will be second thoughts for the teams with big money to spend because there's so much top-level talent available next summer. The Raps are going to be one of those teams with a lot of money to spend, but without much hope of landing a big free agent, that money could very well be used to pick up a couple of the players mentioned below on the cheap and fill out the roster around the existing players and 2012 pick. This is especially true on the wings.

PG
            Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
            George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)
            Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted*

SG
            Landry Fields, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
            Mickael Pietrus, Phoenix Suns – $5.3 million – Unrestricted
            Courtney Lee, Houston Rockets – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
            Rudy Fernandez, Dallas Mavericks – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)

SF
            Danilo Gallinari, Denver Nuggets – $4.2 million – Restricted ($5.6 million Qualifying Offer)
            Nic Batum, Portland Trail Blazers – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
            Chase Budinger, Houston Rockets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
            Sam Young, Memphis Grizzlies – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Ignoring PFs since we're loaded there

C
            Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers – $2.6 million – Restricted ($3.7 million Qualifying Offer)
            JaVale McGee, Washington Wizards – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
            Omer Asik, Chicago Bulls – $1.9 million – Unrestricted*
            Ray Felton would be a perfect fit. I think/hope the Raptors will be in the running for his services.

No way the Knicks don't match any offer for Fields.

I think the same can be said for Batum and the Blazers.

Beyond those three I'm not all that excited about this list...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

No way the Knicks don't match any offer for Fields.

I think the same can be said for Batum and the Blazers.
              They might not have any choice, that's the point.

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with what some of those players are apparently asking for now:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/0...evel.contracts

Marc Gasol - 15 mil
                Nene - 18 mil
                Chandler - 20 mil
                If these guys get this kind of money, that's good news. Obviously it's going to move teams out of the free agent market next year.

Comment

• of all the players listed the only one that jumps out at me is asik
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    of all the players listed the only one that jumps out at me is asik
                    I think you guys are looking at the list as all potential starters, which wasn't my intention at all. It's more to show that there will be a lot of quality players that you can use to fill in the holes around whoever the club deems to be it's foundation after this season.

For example, let's say for argument's sake that the Raps land Barnes in the draft. Then you've basically got the 2,3,4, and 5 spots filled up with starters, so you could spend the cap space on something like Felton to upgrade the point and a guy like Pietrus or Fields as a backup wing that can slot in at both the 2 and 3 to give you some depth. Maybe throw some money at Asik to tandem with Val at the 5. Suddenly you've got a deep young team and a lot of roster flexibility instead of having a lot of your money invested in one new signing with a lot of contract extensions to be negotiated as your draftees reach the ends of their contracts.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I'd like to see them wait until the end of the season and then if the Raptors need to, they could take him off Memphis' hands.
                      I'd agree. Further to the post earlier about MEM sticking with the group through 2011-12:

Wallace on rumors that he's discussed trading Rudy Gay to Golden State for Monta Ellis: "We're committed to this core. It's obvious. We've stepped up and extended three of them so far. What could we have done if Rudy was healthy (last season)? You're going to see Rudy Gay. We have no interest in trading Rudy Gay. We see Rudy as a cornerstone for this franchise."

Source: Memphis newspaper

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                        I think you guys are looking at the list as all potential starters, which wasn't my intention at all. It's more to show that there will be a lot of quality players that you can use to fill in the holes around whoever the club deems to be it's foundation after this season.

For example, let's say for argument's sake that the Raps land Barnes in the draft. Then you've basically got the 2,3,4, and 5 spots filled up with starters, so you could spend the cap space on something like Felton to upgrade the point and a guy like Pietrus or Fields as a backup wing that can slot in at both the 2 and 3 to give you some depth. Maybe throw some money at Asik to tandem with Val at the 5. Suddenly you've got a deep young team and a lot of roster flexibility instead of having a lot of your money invested in one new signing with a lot of contract extensions to be negotiated as your draftees reach the ends of their contracts.
                        Courtney Lee is a guy I would like to see coming off the bench for Toronto... 3 and D.

Comment

• Toronto could lose Ajinca!

The Knicks continue beating the bushes for a big man and have placed Toronto’s young 7-2 French center Alexis Ajinca among their targets.

Ajinca — who began last season with Dallas, even starting two games — is strictly a reserve and still needs to work on his body with his skinny build. But if Toronto passes, the Knicks could take a flyer on Ajinca with a one-year deal for a minimum-range salary.

It isn’t surprising Mike D’Antoni’s Knicks have interest in Ajinca because of his European offensive style, as he can shoot the 3-pointer. But he also can rebound and can be an athletic shot-blocker. He’s only 23 and the Knicks need to stockpile size.

The Knicks’ interest in Ajinca appears to have given them pause to offering their second-rounder Jerome Jordan a contract. Jordan, a low-post center unlike Ajinca, is in Slovenia but wants a trade if he is not invited to training camp Friday and offered a deal.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...#ixzz1fZWwfPBV
                          I actually hope Ajinca comes back. I'm not willing to give up on that project yet - especially with a defense first coach hired.

Comment

• Ajinca scares me. If he put on a like 50 pounds i'd keep him Let the knicks sign him i don't really like the guy

Comment

• Here are his games last year when given over 15 minutes a game last season:

MIN/PTS/REB/BLK

16/11/9/2
                              24/7/8/2
                              23/9/7/2
                              16/5/3/1
                              19/8/4/0
                              17/7/6/0
                              15/8/0/1

Is he a star? No. But he could be a useful reserve who is still only 23 and over 7 feet tall. Minus the last game those are decent rebounding numbers in limited action.

Comment

I actually hope Ajinca comes back. I'm not willing to give up on that project yet - especially with a defense first coach hired.
                                I second this. An Alabi / Ajinca / spot minutes from Davis or Bargs combination could easilly take care of the minutes at the 5 this year without needing to sign a vet. Additionally, he's a guy whose trade value could increase a lot with meaningful, consistent playing time and could be the perfect type of player to package with Barbosa at the deadline to increase the value of what you could get in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X