Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    And if he does show and becomes a cancer in the locker room? I think Denver might put in a bid and he'll be happy to go back there.
    Apollo I am officially with you now:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."
    Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think Iíll be OK with (getting claimed). I wonít be OK with this."
    Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy." Story soon on Y!

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The chutzpah is amazing.I mean why say anything at all. He gets paid anyway...right? Or does he have to play if claimed (loses the claiming bid amount if he doesnt).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    The chutzpah is amazing.I mean why say anything at all. He gets paid anyway...right? Or does he have to play if claimed (loses the claiming bid amount if he doesnt).
    If he is not claimed, he gets to choose who he signs with (becomes UFA) and he gets to double dip (original 2011-12 contract and whatever he signs for with new team).

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel for Chauncey, a bit. I hate players extorting the system like this, but you have to remember, Billups has been screwed royally TWICE now in the past 12 months. First getting jettisoned from his hometown team because of Carmelo's ego, and now from New York because they wanted Chandler.

Chauncey's a pretty good example of the other side of elite players holding too much control over where they play. Not only do the small market teams get boned, so do some of the lesser players who become nothing more than assets to make a deal. Guys really are becoming nothing more than commodities now, and its not just the owners and the bad deals they sign that are making it that way. Turiaf and Rautins got moved for the same reason; it had nothing to do with their "talent" or the team that they're going to actually 'wanting' them. Sucks. But as both sides always say, "it's a business"...
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if Billups follows through with his threats if a suspension without pay means he forfeits a portion of his full salary, not just the portion of the salary his new team is responsible for.

Post Thanks / Like

Part of me is very curious to see what would happen if someone did claim him off waivers and then made him their starting PG. Would he just do a pull up 3 (his fondest move) every time down the court?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Part of me is very curious to see what would happen if someone did claim him off waivers and then made him their starting PG. Would he just do a pull up 3 (his fondest move) every time down the court?
    I just don't think he'd report. Same thing that Alonzo Mourning did.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree...which wouldn't be as entertaining. I'll stop with the pointless posts now ha.

Post Thanks / Like

If Gary Forbes is matched by Denver, the Golden State Warriors just rescinded rights to Reggie Williams. I would be interested in him.

Also, on the ESPN trade machine Butler is only given a salary of $211K - to me that would imply his contract is not guaranteed.

Also:

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
    Raptors free agent forward Reggie Evans getting interest from Toronto, Portland, Boston and New Jersey, but nothing close.

I can't see the Raptors still being interested in Evans with Bargnani, Amir, and Davis at PF and Gray, Magloire, and Alabi at C - not to mention his injury history. I really hope Alabi is given a shot this year too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I can't see the Raptors still being interested in Evans with Bargnani, Amir, and Davis at PF and Gray, Magloire, and Alabi at C - not to mention his injury history.
    But see, if he's injured, then he won't add to the logjam at forward. Geez, Matt! Think about it!
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with any insight in to why Minnesota is signing JJ Barea?

Post Thanks / Like

Because they only have two PGs. They need four or five, so expect them to make a couple of more signings.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can never know with Khan, but I'm guessing it's because they need someone to help mentor Rubio. I guess the Calderon to Minnesota chatter needs to be put on hold. I would also expect that Ridnour will be put on the block.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha oh, Matt
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thabeet to be cut via Amnesty Clause?

Rockets close to using amnesty clause on Thabeet . . .how stupid is that?? What did they expect from him? They knew he sucked.
    Source: Twitter @TheRocketGuy

In case you don't remember the Rockets wasted Shane Battier on this guy. I think dropping Alabi or Magloire and claiming Thabeet could be a keen move. I mean, sure, he's probably not going to stick with the team but neither are the other two and the guy is 7'3". I actually think the other two might be better than him but damn, you can't teach 7'3" and they're all in the "might not be in the league in two years club" as it stands right now. I heard praise all summer about Alabi but where is it now that he's playing against a bunch of good pros likes Ed Davis and Amir Johnson? I wish someone would give an update.

Post Thanks / Like

In case you don't remember the Rockets wasted Shane Battier on this guy. I think dropping Alabi or Magloire and claiming Thabeet could be a keen move. I mean, sure, he's probably not going to stick with the team but neither are the other two and the guy is 7'3". I actually think the other two might be better than him but damn, you can't teach 7'3" and they're all in the "might not be in the league in two years club" as it stands right now. I heard praise all summer about Alabi but where is it now that he's playing against a bunch of good pros likes Ed Davis and Amir Johnson? I wish someone would give an update.

I'd agree. Surely they must know their intentions with Alabi by now. If he isn't in the plans, why not look at Thabeet.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe to have a Spanish speaking veteran point guard to mentor Rubio?

I think I eard that one before.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you on the height issue but 2 orgs now have let him go. That height quality seduced them too. I am afraid I cant add too much on his deficiencies because I havent seen him in a NBA game but clearly something isnt working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Maybe to have a Spanish speaking veteran point guard to mentor Rubio?

I think I eard that one before.
    Good point and with a north American sensibility as well nevermind the 4 yrs. as opposed to 2 for the same money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I hear you on the height issue but 2 orgs now have let him go. That height quality seduced them too. I am afraid I cant add too much on his deficiencies because I havent seen him in a NBA game but clearly something isnt working.
    I think you need to dig deeper than that. Two organizations let him go because of his contract. It's not like he was making vet minimum and getting tossed around. He's making almost as much as Amir Johnson while impacting the game on the level of Solomon Alabi. Memphis moved him to get an expiring contract so that they could keep the band together. Houston is probably getting rid of him to free up even more space to make a move soon. They already were in the middle of a blockbuster that got vetoed by the league. They're dumping him for flexibility right now. The Raptors would only spend probably $1M to claim him.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information