Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Free-agent fits - Tyson Chandler/Toronto

Tyson Chandler -- Toronto Raptors

Chandler could decide to return to the Mavericks, but he could also choose to follow Dwane Casey from the Dallas Mavericks' bench to Toronto. Casey, the newly hired Raptors head coach, was the defensive guru behind the Mavericks' wall that stifled the Los Angeles Lakers and the Miami Heat en route to a title.

Chandler flourished as the anchor to Casey's system, and the Raptors have the cash to offer the center big money. Of course, Dallas owner Mark Cuban notoriously breaks the bank for his centers, so there's a good chance Chandler will defend the title. However, a Casey and Chandler connection would be ideal for Toronto.

I would welcome Chandler to Toronto. Not sure how that works with Jonas coming in next year, but Chandler would be a great anchor down there...
    Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

JV will be here in seven months. I think they should wait for him.

Comment

What a different NBA season it would have been if Chandler was a Raptor last season as we thought it was to be with the nixed trade with the bobcats. Hmmm.... Raptors made the playoffs, albeit first round loss, the Heat secure LeBron's first championship against the Thunder. Sorry, just daydreaming.

+1 on Chandler as Raptor center. JV is years from being a force in the NBA though I still like the pick even if the Raptors fill that hole in the middle in the mean time.

Comment

It is a non issue. The Raptors only have $8M to offer Chandler unless they amnesty a player.

Even if they do make a run at him, then they have 5 bigs who all need minutes (Bargnani, ED, Amir, Alabi, Chandler) and 6 next year (+JV) - clearly trades would be needed to accommodate this signing.

If the goal is to rebuild through the draft, this signing would hurt those chances barring unforeseen luck in the draft - assuming Chandler was healthy and productive like last year. At best we go back to a 35-40 win roster in a regular 82 game season.

Given the harsher luxury tax does not kick in for two years, I don't see Dallas letting Chandler go with a chance to defend the title on the line.

He might be a good addition to try and lure Chris Paul though - haha.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            It is a non issue. The Raptors only have $8M to offer Chandler unless they amnesty a player.

Even if they do make a run at him, then they have 5 bigs who all need minutes (Bargnani, ED, Amir, Alabi, Chandler) and 6 next year (+JV) - clearly trades would be needed to accommodate this signing.

If the goal is to rebuild through the draft, this signing would hurt those chances barring unforeseen luck in the draft - assuming Chandler was healthy and productive like last year. At best we go back to a 35-40 win roster in a regular 82 game season.

Given the harsher luxury tax does not kick in for two years, I don't see Dallas letting Chandler go with a chance to defend the title on the line.

He might be a good addition to try and lure Chris Paul though - haha.
            OK, then amnesty Kleiza. That frees up another $4M. That should do it.

BC could trade a PF for a SF that can shoot the 3 and is not a defensive liability.
            Last edited by stretch; Mon Nov 28, 2011, 02:41 PM.

Comment

If the Raptors were only missing one piece, sure Chandler would be a nice player to have, but we are not one player away from being the Dallas Mavericks. Chandler was great on a team that featured 2 future first ballot hall of fame players, a defensive stopper on the wing, a past all star rebounding/scoring combo forward, and a number of bench players that would be starter on our team.....this is not where we are at.

Right now for this season I think we need to get a 3 PG and another wing player so that we can even stay in games with little rest between.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I really don't see what the point of signing him would be. To get a worse draft pick and create a logjam at the center position, while wasting money on a position that the Raptors don't really need to spend money on?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  I really don't see what the point of signing him would be. To get a worse draft pick and create a logjam at the center position, while wasting money on a position that the Raptors don't really need to spend money on?
                  Agreed, bringing in Chandler this season does nothing to help us in the long-term.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    OK, then amnesty Kleiza. That frees up another $4M. That should do it.

BC could trade a PF for a SF that can shoot the 3 and is not a defensive liability.
                    I don't know if you can do a thing with injured players. i'm pretty sure they're off limits.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Only worth it if it's for 3 years tops. JV may be a few years away, but you don't want to develop him too slowly. He could backup Chandler for one year, fight for the starting spot the next and then Chandler would be gone. Somehow I highly doubt this is an option for Chandler though. We'd have to offer max years (this is his last big contract) at a high price....so probably not worth it.

Comment

if we're going to sign a temporary center sign someone like Arron gray or Jason collins. Tyson chandler would be a huge waste of money

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          because it's the raptor way?
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            I don't know if you can do a thing with injured players. i'm pretty sure they're off limits.
                            haven't read anything about injured players being excluded, or getting amnesty 'protection.' remember...they're still getting paid, plus becoming FAs (well, sort of).

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              haven't read anything about injured players being excluded, or getting amnesty 'protection.' remember...they're still getting paid, plus becoming FAs (well, sort of). oh...and last i read, russian tank commander is likely due back shortly. yay?

Comment

Working...
                              X