SF position and free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF position and free agency

Just wondering what people think about the SF position. Should we just sign a vet to backup JJ and Derozan, and wait for Kleiza to get back? Should we try to sign a starter?

There are definitely options going both ways, but I'll really just talk about starters. Caron Butler anybody? Would he be worth say a 4 year contract (I'm not even going to guess values given how little we know about numbers in the new CBA) at likely a high price, but maybe not too high..? We really have a pretty sad situation at the wing beyond Demar. Kleiza is a big unknown given the injury, and we've barely seen much of JJ to say he can be a starter for years to come. People might say draft one, but there's no guarantee we'll get a guy like Barnes or Gilchrist, or even a big combo guard like Rivers. We may even decide to draft PG if a guy like Kabongo has a great season and he falls into our lap. Much harder to find great starting PGs than SFs in free agency. Anyway, I'm not saying we should sign Caron Butler, but maybe we should be looking at a more talented player than Matt Barnes. Or maybe we should target a great vet like Grant Hill if he's at all interested(I know he's old, but he still looked good last year), and get a guy we know can play a smart game, be a leader, and is extremely versatile on the floor.

Anyway...thoughts?

I think we will sign a vet to a short term deal to fill the gap between this season and next. Johnson, Vet, DeRozan, and Linas when he gets back will be good enough for this year. Maybe a guy like Al Thorton would sign a 1 year deal to be a starter and audition for a decent deal somewhere in 2012
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

maybe al thorton. Probably a C too like Jason collins

Comment

It'll either be someone really cheap or Rudy Gay. Where there's smoke there's usually fire and I have a feeling BC is going to at least make a couple pitches for him. I'm not saying Memphis (and whatever other teams are involved) will accept, though.

But I'm pretty sure Memphis is going to try to deal Gay and/or Mayo and BC is probably the first person they'd call given his open fondness for him.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd try to get Mayo. Move Demar to the 3.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            I'd try to get Mayo. Move Demar to the 3.
            I don't think Demar has the size to play the 3.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I agree.

Edit: with getting Mayo. There's no smoke to that, though.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                It'll either be someone really cheap or Rudy Gay. Where there's smoke there's usually fire and I have a feeling BC is going to at least make a couple pitches for him. I'm not saying Memphis (and whatever other teams are involved) will accept, though.

But I'm pretty sure Memphis is going to try to deal Gay
                and/or Mayo and BC is probably the first person they'd call given his open fondness for him.
                It will be interesting to see what happens when Gay and Z-Bo start playing. It is very rare to see two alpha-dogs co-exist. Also, what happens if Gay defers to Randolph and his production declines? It is going to be very hard to justify less than 20 points a game from a max deal player who's best attribute is scoring.

I would love to see him in Toronto. If they could get him without giving up 2012 draft pick, the Raptors just shaved one year off the rebuild.

Comment

Amnesty Kleiza, sign Shane Battier for 4-5 million a year for 3 years. Raptors are stacked!
                  "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    It will be interesting to see what happens when Gay and Z-Bo start playing. It is very rare to see two alpha-dogs co-exist. Also, what happens if Gay defers to Randolph and his production declines? It is going to be very hard to justify less than 20 points a game from a max deal player who's best attribute is scoring.

I would love to see him in Toronto. If they could get him without giving up 2012 draft pick, the Raptors just shaved one year off the rebuild.
                    I would love to get Gay too.

Have a depth chart of:

SG- Derozan, some SG
                    PG- Bayless, Calderon
                    SF- Gay, James Johnson
                    PF- Bargnani, Amir Johnson
                    C- Jonas Valanciunas, Ed Davis

Amnesty Kleiza, trade barbosa. To free up cap space/trade to fill spots in SG and create room cap space for Gay.
                    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I don't think Thaddeus Young has signed his qualifying offer yet. He's a nice athletic SF.
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

If they dont make a move at Gay, id say keep at it wit JJ. He certainly looked capable when he played in the Raps, and i remember reading that he'd already started working hard and shedding some extra poundage almost directly after the season had finished. His effort on court is what we need, maybe not always beneficial due to his turnover ratio but he should certainly improve over time.
                        Give him the start going into the season I say, then decide. After all, we did get him cheaply so why not try make a bargain out of him?

*Itd be a tough decision between him and a healthy Kleiza if and when he returns this season.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see TYoung here..or not here. Stefanksi has some intel on the kid that will help.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            I wouldn't be surprised to see TYoung here..or not here. Stefanksi has some intel on the kid that will help.
                            Good call Mango, that would be fantastic actually.
                            I've been saying for quite some time that bringing him in to Fill out the 3 spot would not be a bad thing.
                            Still VERY young and his ceiling is still VERY high, in my opinion.

Comment

Doug Smith's take

I read Doug Smith's blog this morning, and he had a few suggestions for SF free agents that can help the Raptors out this season:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...-a-change.html

Shane Battier
                              Maybe he wants to mentor some kids, maybe he likes the idea of a lot of playing time, maybe he wants to live close to home.

Andrei Kirilenko
                              Yes, he’s in Russia but as the one and only Chris Bernucca said on Sheridan’s site, his deal’s got more outs than the Red Sox in September. Maybe he wants a new challenge, maybe he likes the international feel of the roster and the city.

Mike Dunleavy
                              Could probably get him on the cheap coming off all those injuiries and I know he’s got some fans in the Toronto front office.

Tayshawn Prince
                              A better place to try and re-establish yourself as a key NBA player? Lots of chances to play, and score, and get your name out there on a short-term deal.

... I'm all over Battier (but I think I'm in the minority). For the other three guys he mentioned, I think Dunleavy might be a good choice. He can shoot the 3, and I'm sure would be willing to take a cheap contract. I think Prince is almost done, and I think Kirilenko is probably going to command a lot of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X