Brandon Roy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    As someone whose knees are not all that different from Roy's, you'll forgive me for being a little overly optimistic about that. But you're probably right. It's just a damn shame.
    You probably have better knees than Roy, like for example...having a semblance of cartilage left. Forget playing basketball, if Roy keeps playing he should be worried about being able to walk properly when he retire. But yeah, it's really depressing to watch him play after the surgery...really freaking depressing.

Comment

I understand the medical world is getting pretty close to being successful in addressing cartilage replacement using stem cells. Hope it comes soon for him. Actually the whole stem cell treatment area is much more progressed in Korea and China than in N. America.

I could get him for 3 mill./season I would. His talent is just too good to pass up. Is he allowed to be traded later in the year or next (if acquired) under the amnesty provision?

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
        You probably have better knees than Roy, like for example...having a semblance of cartilage left. Forget playing basketball, if Roy keeps playing he should be worried about being able to walk properly when he retire. But yeah, it's really depressing to watch him play after the surgery...really freaking depressing.
        Knee replacement surgery has already been brought up by my doctor, so I don't know if he's all that better off from me. That's why I read intently whenever someone like Roy talks about some experimental therapy.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

whoops.
          Last edited by Fully; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            There was some rumblings out of Portland last year that Roy was unhappy with his diminished role when he returned during the season. I'm not saying Roy isn't a high character guy, because I believe he is, but he seemed to have a hard time accepting that his game had been seriously hindered from the injuries and that he wasn't going to be the all star calibre player that he had been in the past.

Given those factors, I don't see him signing with a rebuilding Toronto team unless we:

a) throw so much money at him that he basically can't refuse.
            b) promise him a ton of minutes and a chance to reclaim his elite player status.

Either scenario would be a step in the wrong direction for Toronto. There's no sense gambling the cap room for a guy who may only have 45 games left in his career for all we know, especially if he's going to squeeze DD/Bayless for minutes when he's here and may arrive with his own agenda (re-establishing himself personally).

I envision Roy having to settle for a sixth man role, but probably with a contender. If he's not going to be promised a starting spot, which he shouldn't be given his injuries, then I think he'll be chasing a ring somewhere.
            I would typically never say this in a matter re pro sports but "money has got nothing to do with it".

As a matter of fact he has no control over where he goes given the circumstances. He is/would be an amnesty case. Portland is responsible for the entire remainder of his contract. However, if any team (only non tax paying teams) bids on him with the highest bid (assume closed bid process), that team gets him and Portland is then only responsible for the balance. The bid is salary per year the new team is willing to be responsible for.

He has no choice but I do understand that he would of course prefer to get lots of play time and/or go to a winning team.

Comment

I agree completely with you. Just because a player is different doesn't mean you can't learn from him. In fact that's who you can learn the most from.
              Glad someone is on the same page.

I'm not saying sign him for a ton of cash as the risk is high but if you can get him on a cheap contract the upside is too high to pass up IMO.

Comment

considering we'd have to play him and hope he does well to get his trade value back up.

it just kind of slow's down the rebuilding process.

I don't think you can go and say you don't want a brandon roy caliber of player. but, he'd be about as useful here as joey dorsey.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Actually the whole stem cell treatment area is much more progressed in Korea and China than in N. America.
                  You can blame good ol' George Dubya for that

As Bill Maher would say, "stem cells are a spec a microscopic goo, that the conservatives think are babies. You know what you do with stem cells? You put them in the freezer. You can't do that with babies".

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    You put them in the freezer. You can't do that with babies".
                    Well, no. Not after child protection services got on me for doing it the first time.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Well, no. Not after child protection services got on me for doing it the first time.
                      Those guys always have their collars on too tight. Beer is for adults? Oh please...

Comment

So if Chandler was added in addition to Roy if that somehow was a possibility you guys are telling me you wouldnt be the slightest interested in a Chandler-Bargnani-Derozan-Roy-bayless combination Heard Roy is pissed for not being considered a star anymore thats alot of motivation for an athlete. injury prone ok well hes going to be playing somewhere anyways so he aint going anywhere and the season is 66 games usually avg 45 games the last few years, looks like that's pretty much the whole season to me manage him well and with a good medical staff things could turn around. Frankly I'm sick of losing and waiting for this "CHOSEN ONE" to come rescue this team from the basement, Go for it now demar is going to be a revelation this year and with second year pro davis putting in work wooow alot of if 's but if we constantly go for it, and stop waiting for the future to come to us you never know short season a young team get's a few hot streaks????..............................P.S. we got burned for passing on roy before, if hes available and we pass on him again dont be surprised if the Raps regret touching that Stove.

Comment

SCP0389 wrote: View Post
                          So if Chandler was added in addition to Roy if that somehow was a possibility you guys are telling me you wouldnt be the slightest interested in a Chandler-Bargnani-Derozan-Roy-bayless combination Heard Roy is pissed for not being considered a star anymore thats alot of motivation for an athlete. injury prone ok well hes going to be playing somewhere anyways so he aint going anywhere and the season is 66 games usually avg 45 games the last few years, looks like that's pretty much the whole season to me manage him well and with a good medical staff things could turn around. Frankly I'm sick of losing and waiting for this "CHOSEN ONE" to come rescue this team from the basement, Go for it now demar is going to be a revelation this year and with second year pro davis putting in work wooow alot of if 's but if we constantly go for it, and stop waiting for the future to come to us you never know short season a young team get's a few hot streaks????..............................P.S. we got burned for passing on roy before, if hes available and we pass on him again dont be surprised if the Raps regret touching that Stove.
                          Personally, I don't think any team that starts Bargnani is going anywhere in the playoffs, so let's switch that to Davis, for the sake of argument. What are the prospects for a team like this? Well, a lot is dependent on the health of Roy. Motivation is not the issue with him. Never has been. If his knees don't hold up then they don't hold up and no amount of motivation is going to change that. And if the odds weren't as slim as they are that he'd still be able to be consistently effective, Portland wouldn't be cutting him. Cartilage doesn't grow back and can't be replaced, at least not with the technology we have.

With a heathy Roy, I think this team is good, but I don't know whether it's a true contender. With half-a-Roy, which is the most likely scenario, this is, at best, a borderline playoff team with little hope of going to the second round. So basically, exactly what the Raptors have been for most of their existence. You'll excuse me if I don't get in line for this one.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Personally, I don't think any team that starts Bargnani is going anywhere in the playoffs, so let's switch that to Davis, for the sake of argument. What are the prospects for a team like this? Well, a lot is dependent on the health of Roy. Motivation is not the issue with him. Never has been. If his knees don't hold up then they don't hold up and no amount of motivation is going to change that. And if the odds weren't as slim as they are that he'd still be able to be consistently effective, Portland wouldn't be cutting him. Cartilage doesn't grow back and can't be replaced, at least not with the technology we have.

With a heathy Roy, I think this team is good, but I don't know whether it's a true contender. With half-a-Roy, which is the most likely scenario, this is, at best, a borderline playoff team with little hope of going to the second round. So basically, exactly what the Raptors have been for most of their existence. You'll excuse me if I don't get in line for this one.
                            I understand where your coming from, but portland releasing him would probably be more along the lines that they tried to focus there team around him for soo long that when he got injured it was always on the teams mind is he or isnt he going to play thats alot for the other players to have on their minds (is roy taking my minutes away this week?) coupled with the fact that he is making alot of change, so if a player is unwilling to accept a lesser role with lesser money, why keep him around to hurt that teams chemistry. If portland was able to restructure that contract and roy was willing to play in a sixth man role there is no way we are even discussing this possibility. It is common knowledge that roy has been in this condition for a while therefore I dont anticipate a huge bid from another team, having roy at a discount price would soften the blow in any Big Risk/Big Reward scenario. I believe when a franchise or person especially in the raptors case are competing against the odds already, they have to strive to deviate from cause and effect thinking while taking more risks because at the end of the day a franchise like Toronto cant play it safe all the time and pass off on talent like Roy just because he has a history and that they "Think" he will never recover. I believe I heard this today that chris paul demanded a trade to New york if Im not mistaken, so we are obviously seeing that this current modern NBA is shifting its view on what mold a successful franchise needs to follow in order to win a championship and that is to lure multiple allstars and start from there. Unfortunately Raptors are not in a position to do that because we have to face the fact that even though our city is one of the best in the entire league we just are not the hot destination among the general consensus of young americans. Then there is the other argument of building through a draft ala OK Thunder now I have a huge problem with that because of several issues Note: (I believe Raps have enough talent especially if derozan improves to stay out of the bottom 5) but back to my complaints you are constantly at the mercy of a bunch of BALLS! RUBBER BALLS! even if you do get a top pick and get that "Chosen One" your still running a risk of getting further behind because there is no guarantee that for 1. that pick will turn into anything...really at the next level 2. hoping that said player loves the city and claims this franchise like Durant does for the thunder, and not leave for (rolling my eyes as I write this) "Greener pastures". and 3. that the former will develop fast enough before other important pieces like Derozan/ED get fed up and leave (Vince Carter-Chris Bosh Paradigm lol) Experts have been saying for years that dallas is too old and needed to rebuild and I agreed. (This keeping in mind that they did have a former MVP) If Mark Cuban caused and effected it they never would've won that championship because they are old, need to rebuild or they "MIGHT" be trouble for the next decade. Honestly either way you slice it raptors are taking risks and I rather watch a compelling interesting risk then sitting and waiting for this Lui Kang (Mortal Kombat) of sorts to come and save us. You cant really be a "True Contender" Unless your team, organization or players in it have already demonstrated it can compete towards the end so what do the raps have to lose. Whats wrong in putting just a contender on the court and see if the coaches can mold it into a true contender with time. I want to see this team win a championship in my lifetime and if they dont be proactive which I believe colangelo is trying to do, ot probably wont ever happen. This goes beyond Roy in that we cant be so skeptical and scared of taking risks because we just are never going to be able to follow what the rest of the NBA is trying to do. We need to find another way! (Guess im cheering for a roy comeback because I too battled to continue to play football after having 3 major reconstructive knee surgeries) biased in that. Ill stop talking now lol
                            Last edited by SCP0389; Thu Dec 1, 2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Change of Scenario can do magical things.

Comment

If Roy is unable to play the role he had been in Portland, then he's simply not good enough to get the Raptors to anywhere but mediocrity. And if he were able to perform anywhere near where he did, then Portland wouldn't want to reduce his role and wouldn't need to reduce his pay. It's as simple as that.

I do notice that you're arguing FOR taking a risk on getting Roy and against taking a risk to get a HEALTHY franchise player. Doesn't make much sense to me. Both are gambles, but the chance of Roy staying healthy enough and playing enough games to make a real impact are far too small. And the effect of getting a real franchise player FINALLY is too much to pass up.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X