Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adam Morrison: Don't call it a comeback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Morrison: Don't call it a comeback.

Just found this FANTASTIC article on SI.com, by Sam Amick (one of the greats in sports writing in my opinion).

I won't post the whole thing (it's 3 pages long), but I highly recommend you hyperlink over and check it out.

Better late than never, the Adam Morrison story was about to begin.

This interview was supposed to have occurred the day before, and the delay was not only symbolic but also understandable considering the logistics. As if managing the eight-hour time difference and making a video phone call from Serbia to the United States wasn't tricky enough, there was the unforeseen drama on the roads that had pushed back the original plan.

Morrison and his father, John, ran into construction while returning from his Red Star Belgrade practice the night before, and a 20-minute drive turned into a two-hour trek when the language barrier also got in the way. But Morrison has finally found someone to speak his native tongue now, and he will spend some 40 minutes discussing the many roadblocks and reroutes he endured in these last four frustrating years.

The 27-year-old who went from cult hero in college to purported NBA bust describes the inauspicious start in Charlotte, from the pressure of being the No. 3 pick in 2006 to the devastating knee injury that cost him a season, and how the hopeful return went awry with his unproductive pairing with coach Larry Brown. He talks about the two lost years with the Lakers in Los Angeles, a professional hell of individual failure and collective success where he might have been the most mocked champion in the history of the game. He details the disappearing act thereafter, how his release from the Washington Wizards in October 2010 led to such a low that he fell out of love with the game that once inspired him.

Photo Gallery: Adam Morrison through the years

But he wouldn't have agreed to chat if his story stopped there, his many failures leading to so much embarrassment and a quiet exit from the basketball world. Nor was he looking to recount the Gonzaga glory days, those halcyon times when the long-haired forward was deemed "a poor man's Larry Bird" and captivated the country in a season-long shootout with Duke's J.J. Redick.

No, as Morrison twirls those unleashed locks in his fingers and agrees to share some of his soul for once, this conversation is happening because he is in the midst of a revival that simply must be explained.

A pair of online videos featuring Morrison in all his unique glory emerged like digital diamonds in this NBA lockout rough last month. One of them showed him burying deep jumpers and risky runners like before*, his play begging the question of where that fire and flare had been all this time. The other featured the feisty side that used to define him**, with Morrison involved in a scuffle and ejection so full of fury and raw passion that it gained notice half a world away. They were reminders of what he once was and clues of what he might become again, hints at a long-overdue revolution from the man who had seemed to surrender in recent years.

Is Adam Morrison back? He certainly is, but not in the way you might think.

...Continued at SI.com

(Dear god ... I think I'm an Adam Morrison fan... this can't be good. Love that passion though.)
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Nov 29, 2011, 01:37 PM.

I would not be upset to see Toronto sign him for the year, he may not fit Casey's defensive philosophy, but in a shortened season with little rest between games he could be a nice player to have.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I did not realize Morrison and Scola were related.

I also don't recall Morrison being in that good of shape. He is cut.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I did not realize Morrison and Scola were related.
        Hahaha I'm loving the hair! Considering that stupid moustache he was wearing for so long, he doesn't look half bad! haha

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I also don't recall Morrison being in that good of shape. He is cut.
        That's what I'm saying man. He went over there ready to play, and I respect the guy alot for it.
        And I'm pleased to see he brought that intensity along with him.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          I would not be upset to see Toronto sign him for the year, he may not fit Casey's defensive philosophy, but in a shortened season with little rest between games he could be a nice player to have.
          He's signed for the year with his current team.

Great story joey. Thanks for the link

Puffer

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

Puffer
            Ya. If he wasn't signed through the year, I wouldn't be completely against having a look at him at least. Minimum Contract maybe.
            Put him through some workouts and see if he can play at the NBA level. But he's shown to have his confidence back, which is likely the hardest part for a player like him.

And my pleasure.
            Journalism of this calibre should be shared.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Hahaha I'm loving the hair! Considering that stupid moustache he was wearing for so long, he doesn't look half bad! haha

Attached Files

Comment

I love European crowds, they get into the game so much

Comment

we'd be the laughing stock of the nba if we signed this guy. We already suck as it is, signing this guy won't help the cause

Comment

Well in a rather timely turn of events, Adam Morrison was allowed to leave his Serbian Team and attempt to find work in the NBA. This all happened yesterday ... weird. haha Did he read WJFs comment, and figure he was in?

The revival of Adam Morrison took another turn on Tuesday, when he was allowed out of his contract with Red Star Belgrade in Serbia to pursue the sort of promotion that seemed so unlikely just months ago.

According to a source close to Morrison -- who had no opt-out clause and was being paid approximately $350,000 on a one-year deal that began in October -- was let out as a "good faith" gesture. After averaging 15.5 points per game and showing some of the fiery style for which he was known in college, Morrison received significant interest from some Euroleague teams and is even confident he could return to the NBA.

With the NBA players and owners reaching a tentative agreement to end the lockout, Morrison, the former Gonzaga star and No. 3 pick of the 2006 draft, could become part of the free agency class that is expected to be available starting Dec. 9. Morrison's Euroleague opportunities, the source said, include "a couple teams in Spain and one in Italy."

Unless a Euroleague team gives Morrison an offer he simply can't refuse, he plans on returning to the United States on Wednesday. Morrison indicated via e-mail that it would be his preference to play closer to his homeland, saying his preference was to play "hopefully somewhere in the Western Hemisphere."

Morrison's last NBA stop came with Washington in the early part of the 2010-11 campaign, but he was cut in November and considered retirement before resurfacing in Serbia the following summer.
                    SI.com
                    Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 30, 2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      I second this. Been saying for a few years now as I watched him waste away on the end of the Lakers bench that he needs to come to Toronto. He might not make anything of it but he's worth the small risk it would take to bring him in. The Raptors don't have a whole lot of shooters now so he might come in handy down the road. I'd imagine he would come cheap.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

Puffer
                        HIs team has granted him a release so that he can either hook up with a Euro League or NBA team, they let him go as a good faith gesture, he is available.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Well Morrison lights it up in his finale in Summer League. Looked really strong. Really hope this guy gets another shot with somebody. He can still flat out shoot. And has better size than Jimmer.

Nice interview with him after the game.
                          http://www.nba.com/video/games/clipp...n_postgame.nba

Highlights:
                          http://www.nba.com/video/games/clipp..._lac_recap.nba

Comment

you know... morrison gets shit on so much.... i kinda want to see him make it work somewhere..

i'll be quietly rooting for him this season... hopefully he lands somewhere in the league

Comment

Working...
                            X