Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisholm: What to do about the C position? Forget Tyson Chandler (212)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Why would someone want Amir and Bargs over Davis :-)
    I don't think they would, but I don't think you should trade you more valuable asset. Especially when it's a guy I feel is a building block for a Championship team. I'd rather get something less for Bargnani than get more for Davis.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I guess the question would be does he have a higher ceiling than the players available with either of Detroit's, Philly's, Cleveland's or Charlotte's unprotected 2012 picks. If Toronto could get Cleveland's pick and have two chances at first pick out of eight, and the high likelihood of picking twice in the first five???
    You nailed it, Puffer.

8 of the top 10 projected draft picks at this time in a strong draft are power forwards.

Ed Davis looks to be a good player in the making but I think Raps fans have overvalued his worth.

Post Thanks / Like

The Warriors are also believed to be willing to Amnesty cut Andris Biedrins to create room to sign free agent Tyson Chandler, which might improve their odds of getting Paul to agree to something more than a rental.
    If this happens, I would put a bid in on Biedrins. $3M per season? I think that would be reasonable.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If this happens, I would put a bid in on Biedrins. $3M per season? I think that would be reasonable.
    Obtaining Biedrins in isolation, seems to complicate things. With 3 years left on his deal, he simply creates more confusion in our already crowded front court. How do we split 96 minutes over 6 players (Davis, Amir, Bargnani, Alabi, Valanciunas and Beidrins)?

But I assume you're thinking such a move would trigger another move (or two) involving either Davis, Amir, and/or Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a time when the Raptors were so desperate for big men that they were starting the likes of Loren Woods. Having too many good big men is a good problem to have. It can easily be sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Obtaining Biedrins in isolation, seems to complicate things. With 3 years left on his deal, he simply creates more confusion in our already crowded front court. How do we split 96 minutes over 6 players (Davis, Amir, Bargnani, Alabi, Valanciunas and Beidrins)?

But I assume you're thinking such a move would trigger another move (or two) involving either Davis, Amir, and/or Bargnani.
    Yes, to either acquire a position of need or another draft pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahhh shucks... Nene isn't coming

WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
    Leandro Barbosa walked in to the ACC. I asked him if his Brazilian buddy Nene was signing with Toronto. "No man, it's too cold." #raptors
    I wonder if Wolstat bothered to mention he has played in DENVER for the last 8 years..... DENVER.... you know the ROCKY MOUNTAINS.... it certainly isn't cold there yet that didn't stop him from raking in over $60M, meeting his wife, and settling there.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Chandler is nothing but fool's gold. If we overspend to acquire this guy, the only thing it'll prove is that Colangelo doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Finding a defensive centre for one inconsequential season is not a high priority if we have our defensive centre arriving next year. I'd rather have Calderon play the 5 this year than overspend on Chandler.
    I agree partly, I was all for Chandler last year, but now it doesn't make sense, especially when rumours are he is looking for $13-15M a year. However, I would definitely look at actually taking the 66 games to look/develop/give up on Alabi who has supposedly improved. At the least he gains experience to become a solid long-term backup.

I wanted to add some more thoughts to the above:

- This whole scenario, for me, depends on Bargnani. If he doesn't become the player we all wish he would, then it fails. If he does become the player we all wish he would be then, in my opinion, he would be an All-Star. History is not on my side here but, for the reasons listed above in #2, I'm putting my faith in him.

- A wing to go after, in case the Raptors cannot get one in the draft, would be Wilson Chandler. He is starter material in the NBA. When he becomes available in March, the Raptors should keep the new $2.5M exception and give it all to him for one year. Why? Hopefully no one else will be able to offer as much money for the last 15-20 games for the season (that would be the equivalent of $7.5-10M for a pro-rated contract). Also the Raptors would then have Birds Rights* in re-signing him meaning they could offer an extra year and 7.5% raises versus 4.5%. (*I am assuming this to be the case, I could be wrong but I don't think so).
    Actually I think you are incorrect here Matt, I believe you must have a 2yr+ contract before Bird rights exist. I seem to remember this from Matt Barnes' Laker contract. I think this is the case specifically to prevent the 1yr contract to create the Bird rights. Now I could be wrong but I think this is the case. At least in the old CBA...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Wolstat bothered to mention he has played in DENVER for the last 8 years..... DENVER.... you know the ROCKY MOUNTAINS.... it certainly isn't cold there yet that didn't stop him from raking in over $60M, meeting his wife, and settling there.
    I know, it pisses me off when they talk about the weather, that is the same as New York, Chicago, NJ, Milwaukee, Minny...with less snow than the last 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    I agree partly, I was all for Chandler last year, but now it doesn't make sense, especially when rumours are he is looking for $13-15M a year. However, I would definitely look at actually taking the 66 games to look/develop/give up on Alabi who has supposedly improved. At the least he gains experience to become a solid long-term backup.

Actually I think you are incorrect here Matt, I believe you must have a 2yr+ contract before Bird rights exist. I seem to remember this from Matt Barnes' Laker contract. I think this is the case specifically to prevent the 1yr contract to create the Bird rights. Now I could be wrong but I think this is the case. At least in the old CBA...
    You may not be exactly right but I think there is something about time which makes you much more right than me!

Post Thanks / Like

A quick google search shows not much love for Speights in Philadelphia. I wonder if he is available. He is certainly a big body and he has only one year remaining on his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warri...84&feedID=5882

The ball is in Tyson Chandler’s court.

With NBA free agents allowed to officially sign contracts on Friday, Chandler has a deal from the Warriors in front of him worth more than $60 million over four years, according to two league sources.

The Warriors have made Chandler Priority No. 1 this offseason, and they hope to get an answer from Chandler on Day 1 of free agency. The hope is by Friday the Warriors will know if they have a defensive anchor at center or whether they’ll have to go in another direction.

Read more: Chandler has offer from Warriors
    Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Post Thanks / Like

im guessing its going to be ed/alabi/magloire
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Good guess ceez. I'm thinking the same thing. Magloire and Alabi will get minutes occasionally depending on the match ups and foul count. That's my guess right now. I'm hoping that some of the buzz about Alabi in the off-season is true though... I'm just not counting on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    im guessing its going to be ed/alabi/magloire
    I'm with Apollo thinking you are correct.

Ed beefed up.
    Bargnani trimmed down.
    They switched 'positions'.

All is well.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With such a short season, I would imagine we will see many different combinations. I could see Bargnani playing a lot of the 5 just because he's a body. Bargnani/Amir, Bargnani/Davis, Davis/Amir, Magloire/Davis, etc.

But I think the 'pair' with the heaviest # of minutes will be Davis and Bargnani with Davis at the 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knicks in lead for Chandler, next step is to make play for Paul?

Multiple league executives say the Knicks are now in the lead to land Tyson Chandler, jumping in front of the Warriors.
    If the deal goes through, the Knicks use amnesty on Chauncey Billups and move Ronny Turiaf to make room for Chandler, sources say.
    Can confirm @WojYahooNBA detail that one scenario in Chandler deal has Billups being traded. Amnesty also a possibiity.
    If the Knicks' next move is to engage NOR in CP3 talks for Stoudemire, this is not something that Amar'e would be happy with, at all.
    Source: Twitter @KBergCBS

Post Thanks / Like

Default $58M over four years for Chandler

The New York Knicks are nearing a four-year, $58 million contract with Tyson Chandler(notes) after the Golden State Warriors conceded they’re no longer in the running to sign the free-agent center, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

To add Chandler, the Knicks will either use their amnesty clause to waive Chauncey Billups(notes) and his $14.2 million salary or they will trade him, sources said. The Knicks have privately told people that if they trade Billups – who has said he doesn’t want to leave New York – it will be to a “good” team. If the Dallas Mavericks do a sign-and-trade with Chandler, they could conceivably get Billups in return.

The Knicks’ pursuit of Chandler intensified after efforts to trade for New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul(notes) stalled, sources said.
    Source: Yahoo Sports

Almost $14M per year but these deals are usually loaded more in the back so the final years are going to be tough to swallow.

With Billups moved or cut the most Chandlers's first season can be is around $11M.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: Yahoo Sports

Almost $14M per year but these deals are usually loaded more in the back so the final years are going to be tough to swallow.

With Billups moved or cut the most Chandlers's first season can be is around $11M.
    They can have him. JV will dominate him for the final 3 years!

Seriously though, I wish he wasn't coming to the Atlantic.

Rumor has it that if the deal goes through the Knicks may offer Amar'e for CP3. That'd be a real kick in the pants for Amar'e!

Post Thanks / Like

You better draft JV on the 18th and sit on him for a year Mack because you aren't getting him next year if you wait haha.

I'm hoping they screw Amare over. If all that stuff plays out I think it's a lateral move for the Knicks and a kick in the ass for Amare. It will discredit the Knicks rep with future free agents. Perfect.

Thread Information