Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Raptors get Bosh TPE back, should they use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Raptors get Bosh TPE back, should they use it?

https://twitter.com/#!/WindhorstESPN...03499591028736

Not finalized,but NBA execs expecting to get lost time back on trade exceptions that expired in lockout.Biggest is Cavs $14.5M (9 days left)
    I'm not sure there's a trade out there to make, and if there was one, using the TPE would put the Raptors either over or very close to the cap. Unless BC sees a chance to acquire a perennial All-Star, he's not going to do that. Rudy Gay is intriguing but with close to $70m owing, don't think that'll happen.

Arsenalist wrote: View Post

I'm not sure there's a trade out there to make, and if there was one, using the TPE would put the Raptors either over or very close to the cap. Unless BC sees a chance to acquire a perennial All-Star, he's not going to do that. Rudy Gay is intriguing but with close to $70m owing, don't think that'll happen.
    The Raptors used about $5M of their TPE. I believe they have about $9.1M remaining. I don't think they are going to use it unless it is from the waiver wire.

Comment

Think you could use the TPE and then use the Amnesty clause on that same player? So even if we pick up someone like Rudy Gay with our TPE, we could use the amnesty clause so that it wouldnt count against our salary cap

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
        Think you could use the TPE and then use the Amnesty clause on that same player? So even if we pick up someone like Rudy Gay with our TPE, we could use the amnesty clause so that it wouldnt count against our salary cap
        You cannot use an amnesty on a traded player.. only a player that was signed before the new CBA (so Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, etc).

Also you cannot combine the TPE with more salary... Gay is worth more than 9M so he cannot be used by the TPE.. You can only get a player (or players) that have a value less than or equal to the TPE's worth (so 9M).

The only way I would use the TPE is if you could get back a draft pick with it for 2012... just not sure any team would want a TPE for a pick especially when teams have the ability to use an amnesty clause now.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
          The amnesty clause implies you are releasing that player from your team. Not that you are just taking his contract off your cap hit, while still maintaining his services.
          And as also stated above, its only on players that were signed before new CBA.

So what you are suggesting, though perhaps not intentionally, is acquire Rudy Gay using the TPE, and then release him from the team to sign with another team, while still paying him the contract we just acquired.

I'm sure he would appreciate the extra cash, but not sure MLSE would see the strategy in it. haha

Comment

There's no way Colangelo uses it. This is a tanking season. LOL.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post

Only scenario I like is one where we take on a big salary for a year (*maybe* two) for a player someone is desperate to shed (to make room for a better asset) IF it includes a first round pick. I don't see many options in this scenario, but perhaps it would enable a three way trade for a team looking to get Howard or Paul.
              http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

I don't think they will use it. They have cap space and they may not even use much of that.

Comment

We can absorb another team's plater salary to an extent - as it stand now, with cap space ... chances we use our cap space AND then bring in an additional $9M player ... not likely, unless an impact player would take a 2 year deal for some reason.
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

If they use it in order to procure a draft pick, then I'm all for it. Unfortunately with the ability to amnesty a player, I don't see that being very likely.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X