No announcement yet.

Forget ESPN rumours, Grange at SportsNet telling it like it is for the Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually if anyone reminded me of Deng it was Barnes.

K-G reminds me of a bigger Westbrook.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Actually if anyone reminded me of Deng it was Barnes.

K-G reminds me of a bigger Westbrook.
      I rate Barnes ahead at this time because of his outside shooting and big game experience (year older). But this could be different at draft time if K-G keeps upping his game.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        I saw my first ncaa game this year this aft. ...the UK-NC game....impressive for this early in the season and no doubt because of the talent on the floor. I thought Gilchrist was one of the players who stood out for myself....quick and athletic on both sides of the ball. Never saw Deng at his age but Gilchrist definitely seems like a mid lottery area pick and probably the second best (close) SF after Barnes. imHo.

No doubt K-G is a mid-lottery pick - at minimum! I've seen 4 Kentucky games now and I really agree with this tweet by Chad Ford:

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
        Who helped their NBA Draft stock the most off this game? Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. But don't go overboard.

That is not meant as a dig. I've been high on Miller, Barnes, and Kidd-Gilchrist - in that order - for some time now. Terrence Ross too.

You need to catch some Baylor games this year too. Quincy Miller is so talented. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Perry Jones III now that he is back (Miller sat out PJ3 first game back due to mild ankle sprain versus weak competition).

Comment

Haven't seen Baylor at all. Players with serious/reccuring injuries always scare me off
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Haven't seen Baylor at all. Players with serious/reccuring injuries always scare me off
            Good point. I usually put my disclaimer in of 'if healthy' or 'if passes medical'.

He is still an impressive talent.

Comment

Slow but steady seems like the best route and if they don't land a superstar they're still on the right track.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I endorse this post.

Personally I'd put Miller ahead of Barnes. I think Barnes will be a great pro and have a fabulous career but Miller, in my opinion, will be a star.

The team to target, in my opinion, is Utah. They already have two rookies this year (Kanter/Burks) along with two second years (Haywood/Favors) and they have 2 draft picks in 2012 (their own and top 7 protected GSW). I'm not sure what the Raptors could offer besides financial relief. However I'm not sure that is a huge concern with $65M guaranteed to 11 players with the only need being a back up PG and Okur coming off the books next year with Harris/Jefferson/Millsap the year after. The Jazz really are positioned well to not only compete now but get better fast.
                I think Utah will be difficult to work with because of the reasons you mentioned above. I think the best trade asset we have that could realistically get a lottery pick back is Bargnani (assuming his trade value is high by other GM's). Of all the potential lottery teams next season (Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Sacramento, Washington, etc), I think Sacramento might be the best team to work with.

They have a payroll of 29M. The cap floor is going to be around 49M next season. Even after they sign Fredette and Honeycutt, they need a lot of salary. We can use high salary assets like Bargnani/Barbosa/Amir for their first round pick (plus fillers - maybe Thompson). But due to the amnesty cuts by other teams, I guess they could just spend $$$ on players like Roy or Davis instead.

Like I said - wishfull thinking

Comment

Getting lottery picks in such a deep draft will be tough. Is Bargs and another player enough to get a trade with a first round pick this year?

Comment

I've stated a number of times (as have others) the the time to trade bargani would be before the season starts. I think there is a real possibility that whatever value he has will drop significantly. That said, I doubt that is a likely situation based media comments by coangelo and Casey.

Bargani is a bust as a number one pick. He is also not on a good value contract. However had he been picked 4th-10th instead of first overall he wouldn't get as much heat. I do think that he is worth a lotto pick in a regular draft. However with a new CBA and a highly anticipated draft there probably aren't a lot of teams willing to part with a pick. But I think he might be able to get it done. If a team was willing to take him for a draft pick I'd do it.

PS here's a positive sign. My iPod wants to autocorrect "bargnani" into "bargain"
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Bargnani is a number one bust? Damn guys, dude is the first bust to ever get the label and drop over 20PPG before even hitting his prime years. Sorry but calling the guy a bust now is a little out there, isn't it? He has no doubt disappointed in areas but please see the Kandiman and Kwame Brown if you want examples of busts.

Comment

Bargs is far from a bust. He is not the first offensive player with holes in his defensive capability. The list is too long to run down. He was the number one pick in a relatively weak draft, and his performance has been disappointing, but hardly a bust. He might be the 3rd best guy on an average team. What is he ranked by ESPN, 80 or so? In a league with 450 players, hardly a bust. But certainly disappointing.

Comment

Ya, I'm as big a critic of Bargnani as anyone, but there's no way I'd label him as a bust. He had the misfortune of coming out in a weak draft and thus probably had higher expectations by some than was warranted. If you want to talk about busts, you need to talk about Kwame Brown, Michael Olowakandi and the grandaddy of #1 busts, Kent Benson. Guys like Greg Oden, Pervis Ellison, and Ralph Sampson I think you'd put an asterisk beside, because they simply were never healthy enough to be able to live up to their draft status. I'd put Bargnani in the Kenyon Martin and Joe Smith category. Decent players drafted in a weak draft.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I endorse this post.

Personally I'd put Miller ahead of Barnes. I think Barnes will be a great pro and have a fabulous career but Miller, in my opinion, will be a star.

The team to target, in my opinion, is Utah. They already have two rookies this year (Kanter/Burks) along with two second years (Haywood/Favors) and they have 2 draft picks in 2012 (their own and top 7 protected GSW). I'm not sure what the Raptors could offer besides financial relief. However I'm not sure that is a huge concern with $65M guaranteed to 11 players with the only need being a back up PG and Okur coming off the books next year with Harris/Jefferson/Millsap the year after. The Jazz really are positioned well to not only compete now but get better fast.
                            Nice to see more posters on this forum that are folllowing the college game.

I would agree with you on Miller vs. Barnes. Barnes is a talent and a stone cold shooter but his handles are decent, not great. Miller while not as good a shooter has serious handles for a 3 and has court vision that Harrison doesn't have at this point, imo.

I also saw you mention T. Ross who is a slept on prospect. Once him and Wroten find some chemistry his stock should soar.

That Baylor team though, with Perry back is an interesting team to watch.

This year's draft should definitely have some potential 'game changers' at the swing position and at the 4 and 5.

Comment

trade bargs for a high draft pick
                              ya dun noe

Comment

This draft will be good for all positions except pg. I think what the Raptors should draft (besides best available). Is a pure shooter to back-up push DD. So I'd look at quincy miller, Bealey, and combo 2/3's like gilchrist and Barnes.

There's also a lot of good players you guys haven't even mentioned like lamb and terrence jones at UK. Perry Jones at Baylor, and lamb(?) at UCONN. And that player at OK state. Next years draft should be deep.
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X