Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No centre playing time for Davis?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No centre playing time for Davis?

Via Twitter.com:

WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
    Dwane Casey told me today he plans to play Ed Davis only at his natural power forward spot this season Amir will play both the four and five

So if Bargnani starts at PF.

ED is the backup PF.

Amir will play both the 4 and 5.

Not quite clear who starts at C.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Would not be suprised if they start Amir at the 5.

Essentially it is the same as last years line, but they switched the names of the positions.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Bargnani starts at C like he did last season, with Ed or Amir at 4

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamal Magloire will probably start like they did with rasho. Start every half play, the first 8 minutes. To set the defensive tone.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On Raptors Today Dwayn Casey said Amir will come in slowly right now until his ankle is 100%. so Pf mins iwll be davis bargnani im guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Jamal Magloire will probably start like they did with rasho. Start every half play, the first 8 minutes. To set the defensive tone.
    Aaron Gray is a much, much, much, MUCH better than Magloire. Magloire this year, in my opinion, is Solomon Alabi last year.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Aaron Gray is a much, much, much, MUCH better than Magloire. Magloire this year, in my opinion, is Solomon Alabi last year.
    He might be better but, Jamal is way a head of since he has played this defense before and has been at every practice.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

He might be better but, Jamal is way a head of since he has played this defense before and has been at every practice.
    How has he played this defense before?

By every practice, do you mean the first two?

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see this happening too.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know too much about Aaron Gray ... but I think Magloire will start to set the tone defensively I could be wrong, but this is what my gut is telling me.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Magloire will start. I'm sure it will be some Bargs with either Davis or Amir. There's too much emphasis on position. Those 3 guys are the only guys who should see major minutes and start. Gray, Magloire and Alabi should never start a game if the other 3 guys stay healthy and play well enough. And before another reply about how they aren't true Cs...well they're definitely the best shotblockers on the team still so if they all step up on D....or at least Davis and Amir, we should be fine. Yeah we'll struggle with guys like Howard and Marc Gasol...but so do like 20 other teams in the league. And against guys like that I'm sure Gray and/or Magloire will get minutes, though still not convinced they'd start.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

How has he played this defense before?

By every practice, do you mean the first two?
    They ran the same defense in Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ryanc123 wrote: View Post
    They ran the same defense in Miami.
    Do you have an article/link/interview/video for this?

I read a lot of Raptors and NBA stuff and I do not recall seeing anything comparing the defense Dwayne Casey runs to that of Miami and/or Erik Spolestra.

It is not that I am trying to be a d!ck, I would just find it interesting.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have an article/link/interview/video for this?

I read a lot of Raptors and NBA stuff and I do not recall seeing anything comparing the defense Dwayne Casey runs to that of Miami and/or Erik Spolestra.

It is not that I am trying to be a d!ck, I would just find it interesting.
    Jamal said it in his post practice interview on Friday. He said they ran the same defensive stuff in Miami so he understands it already.

Post Thanks / Like

I think any good defensive team runs pretty much the same stuff. The principles of good defense aren't really that unique.

Post Thanks / Like

Gray/alabi/magloire

Gray and Alabi split minutes (whoever is playing best) with magloire playing for the last minute in the second and first minute in the third.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gray will start

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Jamal said it in his post practice interview on Friday. He said they ran the same defensive stuff in Miami so he understands it already.
    Cool. Thanks. I must have missed that part.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd very surprised if either Magloire, Alabi or Gray start. They weren't brought here to take minutes away from Davis, Amir and Bargs. They'll provide spot minutes, nothing more.

As for Casey running the "same" defense as Miami, it was said so in very loose terms, referring to the pack it in/zone it up philosophy. It's no different than saying two teams using a PNR run the same offense. Obviously there's a lot of variability within a scheme. Magloire still has to learn Casey's system.

And I can't say I like the idea of Davis not starting. He needs 30+ mpg. Whether at C or PF, he needs to be on the floor the majority of the game.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'd very surprised if either Magloire, Alabi or Gray start. They weren't brought here to take minutes away from Davis, Amir and Bargs. They'll provide spot minutes, nothing more.

As for Casey running the "same" defense as Miami, it was said so in very loose terms, referring to the pack it in/zone it up philosophy. It's no different than saying two teams using a PNR run the same offense. Obviously there's a lot of variability within a scheme. Magloire still has to learn Casey's system.

And I can't say I like the idea of Davis not starting. He needs 30+ mpg. Whether at C or PF, he needs to be on the floor the majority of the game.
    Running the same defensive stuff was probably in relation to the PNR defense they focused on, not the complete system.

About Davis not starting and needing minutes: it's a stuffed schedule, playing 30 minutes a game every game might not be that good. Casey alluded to the idea that he would be distributing minutes more because of that schedule and that doesn't seem a bad thing for e.g. Amir and Davis to keep their bodies together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information