Pietrus will NOT be a Raptor afterall: UPDATE: Pietrus bought out by Suns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbihis wrote: View Post
    Now with Magloire and Pietrus, wouldnt that ruin their chances for a higher pick in the draft? im guessing adding two defensive guys could probably add more wins.

Also, might BC give Pietrus an extension since he fits a need for the Raptors?
    Magloire is basically a scrub - a 4th or 5th big who will probably be sharing minutes with Alabi. Pietrus is more like a 7th/8th guy who will be starting - similar to Barbosa. I don't think either will create enough wins to cause a lower pick. I'm still betting on 16 wins.

Comment

Fantastic acquisition if it goes through. He only has 1 year left on his contract so no risk here. Raptors have free cap space so might as well use it. I hope we are not giving up anything good in return here though. Another solid defender to add to the mix. I dont really see anything wrong with this.
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        There's only 1 year left on the deal, so the $5.3 million should be of no concern to us. Pietrus provides defense, leadership, outside shooting, playoff experience, and doesn't affect our cap space next summer. You can guarantee he'll make J.Johnson earn the starting SF spot. Great move in my opinion.

Magloire and Pietrus are exactly that type of players that are needed to perform the "culture change" Casey and Colangelo spoke about. I can already see us committing more hard fouls this year (instead of giving up uncontested layups)

Looking forward to seeing who else Colangelo has in mind.
        lol.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Now the question is, who will be the 3rd PG management gets? Not really important in the grand scheme of things, but what else is there to speculate on?
          PGs with 1 year left on their current deals:

K.Hinrich - $8 mil
          A.Miller - $ 7.8 mil
          R.Stuckey - $3.8 mill (qualifying offer)
          G.Dragic - $2.1 mil
          E.House $1.4 mil
          M.Chalmers - $1.1 mil (qualifying offer)
          K.Dooling - $2.1 mil
          S.Gaines - $0.9 mil
          C.Billups - $14.2 mil
          N.Robinson - $4.5 mil
          R.Ivey - $1.2 mil
          S.Nash - $11.7 mil
          A.Brooks - $3.0 mil (qualifying offer)
          R.Felton - $7.5 mil

I'd make a few calls about House, Dragic, Dooling or Ivey.
          Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Dec 9, 2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Again, at $5.3 Mil (if the figures are correct), makes little sense. Is he a 3 or a 2? We have him while we still have Barbosa on the roster? Unless Phoenix is sending us a pick as well, I'm poo-pooing this one. He's not going to play a full season that's for sure.
            He can play forward too, I think we are bringing him to add depth to the 3 here.

Comment

Nice pick up. I like him and he has often been on Colangelos radar. If we get a star sf in the draft he is a rental likely but if we get a Drummond or Davis more likely BC will look to re-up.

I seem to remember Pietrus saying previously that would like to play in toronto.

Comment

Raptors might be done here for the deals, this acquisition along with the Magloire signing puts us pretty close to salary cap, Colangelo might be thinking of using Barbosa as 3rd PG in case of injury, look for us to pick some scrub (Sundiata Gaines? LOL)

Comment

Now with Magloire and Pietrus, wouldnt that ruin their chances for a higher pick in the draft? im guessing adding two defensive guys could probably add more wins.
                  If it were a regular 82 game season with a proper training camp and plenty of practice days then I might be inclined to agreeagree. However, Coangelo and Casey have admitted that they will be uses some "games" as "practices" clearly they aren't interested in winning as much as they are interested in getting the players to play the right way. If anything, I think the lack of practices and this new "games are practices" philosophy will lead to as bad a season as last year. I think they win around 17 games.
                  Last edited by ezz_bee; Fri Dec 9, 2011, 11:09 AM.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    PGs with 1 year left on their current deals:

K.Hinrich - $8 mil
                    A.Miller - $ 7.8 mil
                    R.Stuckey - $3.8 mill (qualifying offer)
                    G.Dragic - $2.1 mil
                    E.House $1.4 mil
                    M.Chalmers - $1.1 mil (qualifying offer)
                    K.Dooling - $2.1 mil
                    S.Gaines - $0.9 mil
                    C.Billups - $14.2 mil
                    N.Robinson - $4.5 mil
                    R.Ivey - $1.2 mil
                    S.Nash - $11.7 mil
                    A.Brooks - $3.0 mil (qualifying offer)
                    R.Felton - $7.5 mil

I'd make a few calls about House, Dragic, Dooling or Ivey.
                    Bring back Marcus Banks. Short 1 year deal - knows the team, and would not be a cancer on the team. Can probably get him for $1M as a FA.

Comment

Also, might BC give Pietrus an extension since he fits a need for the Raptors?
                      Maybe, but not dramatically. I think it serves the current players well to have veteran players around them that are defensive minded.

Besides, being the worst team in the league doesn't guarantee you the #1 pick in the draft. The Raps should still lose enough games to ensure them a high lottery pick while still trying to play the right way emphasizing defence.

Depending on the roster next year and how he performs this year, Pietrus might indeed get an extension. It's a contract year for him so I don't think you'll see a lack of effort from him.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Bring back Marcus Banks. Short 1 year deal - knows the team, and would not be a cancer on the team. Can probably get him for $1M as a FA.
                        Agree.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post
                          nice, we need a shooter to spread the floor. 5.3 million 1 year deal for 2nd round draft pick not bad...
                          Probably 2nd round pick and some TPE right?

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                            Maybe, but not dramatically. I think it serves the current players well to have veteran players around them that are defensive minded.

Besides, being the worst team in the league doesn't guarantee you the #1 pick in the draft. The Raps should still lose enough games to ensure them a high lottery pick while still trying to play the right way emphasizing defence.

Depending on the roster next year and how he performs this year, Pietrus might indeed get an extension. It's a contract year for him so I don't think you'll see a lack of effort from him.
                            I hope they give him an extension too

How come this hasnt been reported on ESPN yet?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              I'd like to see us go after like a Delonte West, but I dont see him agreeing to as limited of a role as he will probably have here, I would be fine with Marcus Banks lol.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                                I'd like to see us go after like a Delonte West, but I dont see him agreeing to as limited of a role as he will probably have here, I would be fine with Marcus Banks lol.
                                Yeah, they would have to get somebody who really isnt an ego maniac coz being 3rd stringer means practically no playing time and is just in it for the money and practice time. Marcus would be awesome, and maybe Sundiata again.

Comment

Working...
                                X