Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Linsanity

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    You could fill in the space in front of that comment with a universe of words.
    A used pair of galoshes...
    Two half dead goldfish...
    That damp Kleenex...
    The crunchy kernels left in your popcorn bag...
    +1 - as long as barbosa doesnt get a free pass... makes a black hole look like oprah.

Post Thanks / Like

Default From ESPN Insider:

For one, Mike D'Antoni's system plays a huge role. D'Antoni was often referred to as an offensive genius
    D'Antoni is more like a one-trick pony, and his one trick is a terrific offense for a point guard.
    Remember Chris Duhon? Three years ago, he averaged 11.1 points and 7.2 assists on 42 percent shooting (all career highs by a mile) for D'Antoni's Knicks. Now he's a three-points-per-game scorer while backing up the struggling Jameer Nelson in Orlando.
    How about Raymond Felton? He actually garnered All-Star consideration while starting for the Knicks last season, and his career-high numbers (again, by a mile) of 17 points and nine assists per game warranted it. Since leaving D'Antoni, things haven't gone as smoothly. First, Felton found himself backing up Ty Lawson in Denver, and now he's averaging 10 points and fewer than seven assists while shooting just 37 percent with Portland.
    "If a point guard can't find success in D'Antoni's system, he's not a point guard," one league executive said, "At least not an NBA point guard."
    So what is it about D'Antoni's system that's so great for point guards? Golden State coach Mark Jackson, who played 17 seasons in the NBA and ranks third all time in career assists, broke it down.

"He gives his point guard a lot of freedom," Jackson said. "The ball is in the point guard's hands a lot. They run multiple pick-and-rolls and they spread the floor. The spreading of the court makes it tough to help on the point guard so he has more room to operate. That's key, so Mike's offense works to the advantage of a playmaking point guard."
    "When you think about all the backup point guards Phoenix tried behind Nash all those years, nobody really jumped out in terms of mastering the system or at least using the system to inflate their stats," Kerr said. "So I think this kid is legit. He's got great feel for the game. It is a good system for him but it's not like anybody can just jump in there and do what he's doing. People are going to adapt and try to cut off penetration and make him shoot, but he's a good player."
    "A player can only be as good as his coach thinks he is," one league executive said. "There are a bunch of guys who are one coach liking them away from being a decent player in this league. If your coach has you on a short leash and pulls you out every time you make a mistake, you're going to play like crap.

"Jeremy Lin is just like a whole bunch of guys," the executive continued. "I've seen three guys in the D-League recently who are like him. He's no better than he was two weeks ago. But he's been given an opportunity with a coach who believes in him."
    Source: ESPN.com

Post Thanks / Like

"A player can only be as good as his coach thinks he is,"

This quote just blew my mind ... So true though.

Apply that to this year and its quite interesting indeed.

Nice article Apollo.

ADD This too: "There are a bunch of guys who are one coach liking them away from being a decent player in this league."
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Feb 10th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. That’s nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey thinks demar has all star potential

Post Thanks / Like

it was when he got hired as the head coach after the press conference. Matt devlin talked to Casey about demar and he said that he has all star potential and that he'll work with him to reach that.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
    Sources w/knowledge of New York's thinking say Knicks were leaning strongly toward releasing Lin before his breakout game last SAT vs. Nets
    Tuesdy, remember, was deadline to release players w/unguaranteed contracts before those deals became guaranteed. Lin was in serious jeopardy

I'm told Knicks had begun lining up potential replacements for Lin, chief among them vet Mike James from their D-League affiliate in Erie

But then Lin uncorked 53 points against Nets and Jazz to render Tuesday 6 PM guarantee deadline immaterial and change course of his career

Crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    ADD This too: "There are a bunch of guys who are one coach liking them away from being a decent player in this league."
    Yeah, JaMario Moon, Sonny Weems, Rafer Alston, the Raptors have seen many of these while struggling and grasping for something positive.

Now the question is, what happens when Baron Davis returns? I didn't quote it but in the Insider Article they said Lin has been greatly outplaying Davis in practice. That's how he got the shot to start and they didn't go another direction.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh c'mon Puffer. Thats not very nice.
    Life is harsh, judgemental fans are harsher. :-)

Actually I like everything I see about Bayless, his demeanour, the way he speaks thoughtfully in interviews, how he supports his team mates, everything but the way he turns into "all on my shoulders, guys" when he is out there and the Raps fall behind. If he could get over thinking he has to take over to save the game, I would be a lot more appreciative.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If Lin were a UFA...

...how much money would you throw at him to get him into a Toronto uniform? Jose is playing great, but he is on his way out (barring a Nash-like resurgence). New York can't possibly give Lin the kind of money he might deserve with Amare, Chandler and Melo on the roster which opens up the possibility of other teams swooping in and stealing an extremely promising young PG (which we desperately need).

So... 8 million, 5 years?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    ...how much money would you throw at him to get him into a Toronto uniform? Jose is playing great, but he is on his way out (barring a Nash-like resurgence). New York can't possibly give Lin the kind of money he might deserve with Amare, Chandler and Melo on the roster which opens up the possibility of other teams swooping in and stealing an extremely promising young PG (which we desperately need).

So... 8 million, 5 years?
    Most he can be paid per year is $5M but just wondering where the trade is here to be in the trade forum?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Most he can be paid per year is $5M but just wondering where the trade is here to be in the trade forum?
    If that's the case my guess is that the Knicks will find a way to pay the max and Lin will want to stay in New York. Who can argue with success?

Post Thanks / Like

He's not going to be nearly as successful on another team. Better for him to stay with the knicks

Post Thanks / Like

The most he can get paid is MLE - that is essentially the "Gilbert Arenas Rule" where he left GSW to sign a huge contract with Washington.

I think a large part of his success is due to D'Antoni's system (do not get me wrong, he more than deserves the credit for actually doing it though). Will he be this successful next year if D'Antoni is not back which appears to be a high probability.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know there's no way NY lets him walk at this stage hence the "what if he was UFA" - so to clarify - in the coming years when he is, would you break the bank for him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I know there's no way NY lets him walk at this stage hence the "what if he was UFA" - so to clarify - in the coming years when he is, would you break the bank for him?
    Let you know in coming years after we have seen more than three weeks of his play.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Miami Shut Down Jeremy Lin

Just make him use his left

Strategy 5: Keep Him on His Left
    Employed by: Minnesota and Sacramento

Lin's proven weakness over the last 11 games is his inability to go left: using his left hand, driving to the left, or finishing with his left hand. Both the Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings noticed. They would either force him away from the screen if it was set on his right, or into his screen if it was set on the left. Once the basketball went into his left hand, defenses didn't allow him to bring it back to his right. In the image above, before Chandler has even set the screen, Ricky Rubio begins pressuring Lin to the left, and Nikola Pekovic ranges over, ready to stop any penetration.

Why it works: The key to this defense is the point guard defender. Once he initially makes Lin go left, he stays with the play to try to create a turnover. If Lin tries to bring the ball back to his right, the defender is there to poke at it.

Until Lin can make the defense pay by creating with his left hand, this is the strategy defenses should use. He faced this type of defense 35 times, scoring just 15 points on 5-of-16 shooting, with more turnovers (10) than assists (nine). Lin's going to get better with his left hand as he gets more experience, but it won't be an instant improvement.
    Source

Post Thanks / Like

Was watching this game last night on NBATV. Was a great game, but Lin was just Brutal. His turnovers weren't even from trying to make difficult passes. Most of them were careless tip aways, strips and steals. Was ugly to watch. I'm still not sold on this guy.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. That’s nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was watching this game last night on NBATV. Was a great game, but Lin was just Brutal. His turnovers weren't even from trying to make difficult passes. Most of them were careless tip aways, strips and steals. Was ugly to watch. I'm still not sold on this guy.
    Part of the reason why so many teams passed on him is his suspect defence and his ability to take care of the ball. There's no way in hell that Casey would've allowed Lin to be in his team knowing this. He was on the summer league roster for Dallas and was cut because he didn't fit the defensive culture of the team. I'm not a hater, I just think that he's playing well right now but the league is making adjustments on him. I give it another month and his numbers will go back to normal.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

what is normal? all i can say is they are going to drop like flies. He signed all these stupid endorsements and Lin and his lawyer are trying to trademark the name "Linsanity". It will be hilarious when he comes back down to earth and starts playing like a bench player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    ... I just think that he's playing well right now but the league is making adjustments on him. I give it another month and his numbers will go back to normal.
    He seems to have a reasonable skill set. One thing that is hard to do, in my opinion, is find players with court vision. Lin seems to have it. Teams have made adjustments, now Lin will have to make adjustments. If he is a smart player (and he would appear to have the mental wheels to run in this league) then he will make adjustments as well - to his skills, his style and his favourite moves. I don't expect he will keep up the numbers he had in his first two weeks, but now that his coach and others have seen what he is capable of, I expect him to do well.

As the comment under the video says, Lin is goign to get better, with his left hand and everything else. He's had a taste. He will want more.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information