Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Thread: Linsanity

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    what is normal? all i can say is they are going to drop like flies. He signed all these stupid endorsements and Lin and his lawyer are trying to trademark the name "Linsanity". It will be hilarious when he comes back down to earth and starts playing like a bench player.
    I haven't seen or read anything to suggest he left earth and don't know why it would be hilarious to see him fail...

    Btw, he only is trying to trademark 'linsanity' because other people are trying to do so.

  2. #42
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sold on Lin either, and it's shocking, I'm asian. What does that have to do with anything? ALOT.

    Back to the topic... Im not sold, he is a very skilled player, and hell he can play, but his inability to use both hands, liability defensively, and inability to take care of the ball is actually key in a point guard. Those things can be hidden from a very good defensive team, and other ball handlers. Unfortunately, Lin doesn't have another guy like a Lebron or Wade who can take it up the court every second position, because when Carmelo does it, it leads to a horrific offensive position or quick shot. New York has improved defensively because of Chandler, but systematically they just aren't a good defensive team at all, ability to use two hands as a point guard in the NBA is just a need. Im a point guard in high school, and hell if you don't have both hands you're done, how about the NBA.

    I think his number will have a major drop, but not enough to put his ass back on the bench, because remember he is a high IQ player i.e he's from Harvard. He will probably average like 10 points, 5 assists, and 4 turnovers.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I haven't seen or read anything to suggest he left earth and don't know why it would be hilarious to see him fail...

    Btw, he only is trying to trademark 'linsanity' because other people are trying to do so.
    Because he's overhyped like raymond felton was. Do you seriously think he can maintain these numbers?

  4. #44
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Because he's overhyped like raymond felton was. Do you seriously think he can maintain these numbers?
    He could, if he just miraculously develops a left hand and becomes smarter with the ball.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    He could, if he just miraculously develops a left hand and becomes smarter with the ball.
    i doubt it. I like lin but he won't be able to maintain these numbers

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How does Lin play BADLY in the rising stars game? Is that even possible?

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To be a good player you need basketball ability (which Lin has shown he can play at this level) but you also need mental stability. We have only seen Jeremy Lin on his hot-streak. He was brewing with confidence and him, like many other players, played well with that confidence. We had yet to see him in a bit of a drought. My question is not "Can Lin keep up these numbers?" because he clearly can not (not to say he will not be a decent player), but "How will Lin react to a slump?"

    All those who were cheering for him are gonna doubt him, players are going to want to beat him, and he is going to lose his confidence if this mini slump continues. We have yet to see this and I think it makes the "Linsanity" conversation very interesting.

    Will he shake out of it or will he decline as an overall player? If he does decline, will he be able to bring that momentum back?

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Because he's overhyped like raymond felton was. Do you seriously think he can maintain these numbers?
    Completely missed the point here.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Completely missed the point here.
    they both played for the knicks and put up big numbers. When felton was put on portland he was playing pretty bad

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    they both played for the knicks and put up big numbers. When felton was put on portland he was playing pretty bad
    And again.

  11. #51
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In a system with Mike D'antoni's offense, you're going to produce offensively because everything is ran around the point guard.

    Raymond Felton is now moved to a defensive team and look at his numbers compared to when he was on the Knicks. They've got Jamal Crawford starting at the point guard, he's been playing well recently there, but honestly, you go from Felton to Crawford, who is just a very good ball-handling shooting guard.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nothing personal here about Lin but just because one graduates from Harvard does not necessarily make you any more intelligent or dummier than someone having done so from Stanford, McGill or Ryerson etc. It is no doubt an institution of renown but this hype (mostly by breathless espn yokels) of "Harvard graduate" somehow makes Lin a superior on-court thinker is really laughable. George Bush got an MBA from Harvard and graduated in the bottom 10% of his class. Enough said. Rant over.

  13. #53
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Nothing personal here about Lin but just because one graduates from Harvard does not necessarily make you any more intelligent or dummier than someone having done so from Stanford, McGill or Ryerson etc. It is no doubt an institution of renown but this hype (mostly by breathless espn yokels) of "Harvard graduate" somehow makes Lin a superior on-court thinker is really laughable. George Bush got an MBA from Harvard and graduated in the bottom 10% of his class. Enough said. Rant over.
    Jeremy Lin is a smart player though. He has high basketball IQ. He doesn't make the right decisions but most turnovers come from poor off-hand abilities, and carelessness.

  14. #54
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They're 2-3 in their last five and Lin has averaged close on to 6 TO/game over that time(and that's an improvement).

    I've had a chance to watch some of Lin's games here and there and if a guy like DeRozan was getting calls like Lin gets he wouldn't be under the bus right now. Seriously, the officials are not treating him like a guy who just came out of D-league. DeRozan is a high profile former lottery pick, Lin was nobody until a month ago. In games Lin gets the benefit of the doubt while DeRozan gets treated like Andre Barret--- I know, right, "who?!" Exactly.

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Jeremy Lin is a smart player though. He has high basketball IQ. He doesn't make the right decisions but most turnovers come from poor off-hand abilities, and carelessness.
    You'd think a guy who had to sleep on his brother's coach while he was practicing with the Knicks would be anything but careless with the basketball so I disagree. We can't write all his turnovers off as anything but what's going on between his two ears. How are you differentiating between carelessness and questionable decision making? If he had some sort of track record of protecting the ball instead of giving it away like Robin Hood on steroids then we'd have something to compare his current play to. Me, I feel he was cut by three teams this year, he was almost cut by the Knicks and so I'm not going to chalking anything up to him not focusing on the matter at hand. The guy hasn't proved he has a great IQ. Jose Calderon, he has a great IQ and he doesn't turn the ball over. Even on Jose's worst of night he wouldn't turn the ball over as much on a good Jeremy Lin night.

  15. #55
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They're 2-3 in their last five and Lin has averaged close on to 6 TO/game over that time(and that's an improvement).

    I've had a chance to watch some of Lin's games here and there and if a guy like DeRozan was getting calls like Lin gets he wouldn't be under the bus right now. Seriously, the officials are not treating him like a guy who just came out of D-league. DeRozan is a high profile former lottery pick, Lin was nobody until a month ago. In games Lin gets the benefit of the doubt while DeRozan gets treated like Andre Barret--- I know, right, "who?!" Exactly.



    You'd think a guy who had to sleep on his brother's coach while he was practicing with the Knicks would be anything but careless with the basketball so I disagree. We can't write all his turnovers off as anything but what's going on between his two ears. How are you differentiating between carelessness and questionable decision making? If he had some sort of track record of protecting the ball instead of giving it away like Robin Hood on steroids then we'd have something to compare his current play to. Me, I feel he was cut by three teams this year, he was almost cut by the Knicks and so I'm not going to chalking anything up to him not focusing on the matter at hand. The guy hasn't proved he has a great IQ. Jose Calderon, he has a great IQ and he doesn't turn the ball over. Even on Jose's worst of night he wouldn't turn the ball over as much on a good Jeremy Lin night.
    Great Post Apollo.
    My sentiments exactly.
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Nothing personal here about Lin but just because one graduates from Harvard does not necessarily make you any more intelligent or dummier than someone having done so from Stanford, McGill or Ryerson etc. It is no doubt an institution of renown but this hype (mostly by breathless espn yokels) of "Harvard graduate" somehow makes Lin a superior on-court thinker is really laughable. George Bush got an MBA from Harvard and graduated in the bottom 10% of his class. Enough said. Rant over.
    1. "dummier" is not a word. You meant "dumber".
    2. Yes, but being able to get into Harvard without being a legacy (like Bush) or booster is definitely a testament to your hard work. I'm also willing to bet that the average IQ at Harvard is much much higher compared to, say, Ryerson.
    3. It's ESPN, man. When did ESPN not sensationalize anything?

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    You'd think a guy who had to sleep on his brother's coach while he was practicing with the Knicks would be anything but careless with the basketball so I disagree. We can't write all his turnovers off as anything but what's going on between his two ears. How are you differentiating between carelessness and questionable decision making? If he had some sort of track record of protecting the ball instead of giving it away like Robin Hood on steroids then we'd have something to compare his current play to. Me, I feel he was cut by three teams this year, he was almost cut by the Knicks and so I'm not going to chalking anything up to him not focusing on the matter at hand. The guy hasn't proved he has a great IQ. Jose Calderon, he has a great IQ and he doesn't turn the ball over. Even on Jose's worst of night he wouldn't turn the ball over as much on a good Jeremy Lin night.
    The difference is that Jose had lots of professional experience playing the point before he came to the NBA.

    Lin was a SG before he came to the NBA.
    Last edited by Prime; Mon Feb 27th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

  17. #57
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well right now he's the starting PG of a professional team and I don't think Knicks fans or their media are going to give a crap about what position he played at Harvard when he's coughing the ball up 6-8 times per game during the playoffs. Defenses tighten up in the playoffs and who knows maybe they expose him so badly at that level that he's riding the pine to make way for Baron Davis like I've predicted... And he doesn't have an opportunity to post a double double: 20 points, 10 turnovers.

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    1. "dummier" is not a word. You meant "dumber".
    2. Yes, but being able to get into Harvard without being a legacy (like Bush) or booster is definitely a testament to your hard work. I'm also willing to bet that the average IQ at Harvard is much much higher compared to, say, Ryerson.
    3. It's ESPN, man. When did ESPN not sensationalize anything?
    1. Lol....absolutely correct
    2. Didnt he get in on an athletic scholarship

    My point was only that there are other brilliant point guards in the NBA who didnt go to Harvard. Lin does not have this grasp and vision of great pg play because he did. This is not about Lin but rather the breathless/unprovable twinning of his on court capabilities with having attended an iconic institution. Wonder what happens if he has a string of bad games?

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apollo:

    Such is the life of a young guard after being given a starter's responsibility in the NBA.
    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    1. Lol....absolutely correct
    2. Didnt he get in on an athletic scholarship

    My point was only that there are other brilliant point guards in the NBA who didnt go to Harvard. Lin does not have this grasp and vision of great pg play because he did. This is not about Lin but rather the breathless/unprovable twinning of his on court capabilities with having attended an iconic institution. Wonder what happens if he has a string of bad games?
    Harvard doesn't give out athletic scholarships.

  20. #60
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apparently Harvard also doesn't teach guards how to protect the ball or read defenses.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •