No announcement yet.

Linsanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does Lin play BADLY in the rising stars game? Is that even possible?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

To be a good player you need basketball ability (which Lin has shown he can play at this level) but you also need mental stability. We have only seen Jeremy Lin on his hot-streak. He was brewing with confidence and him, like many other players, played well with that confidence. We had yet to see him in a bit of a drought. My question is not "Can Lin keep up these numbers?" because he clearly can not (not to say he will not be a decent player), but "How will Lin react to a slump?"

All those who were cheering for him are gonna doubt him, players are going to want to beat him, and he is going to lose his confidence if this mini slump continues. We have yet to see this and I think it makes the "Linsanity" conversation very interesting.

Will he shake out of it or will he decline as an overall player? If he does decline, will he be able to bring that momentum back?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Because he's overhyped like raymond felton was. Do you seriously think he can maintain these numbers?
        Completely missed the point here.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          Completely missed the point here.
          they both played for the knicks and put up big numbers. When felton was put on portland he was playing pretty bad

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            they both played for the knicks and put up big numbers. When felton was put on portland he was playing pretty bad
            And again.

Comment

In a system with Mike D'antoni's offense, you're going to produce offensively because everything is ran around the point guard.

Raymond Felton is now moved to a defensive team and look at his numbers compared to when he was on the Knicks. They've got Jamal Crawford starting at the point guard, he's been playing well recently there, but honestly, you go from Felton to Crawford, who is just a very good ball-handling shooting guard.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Nothing personal here about Lin but just because one graduates from Harvard does not necessarily make you any more intelligent or dummier than someone having done so from Stanford, McGill or Ryerson etc. It is no doubt an institution of renown but this hype (mostly by breathless espn yokels) of "Harvard graduate" somehow makes Lin a superior on-court thinker is really laughable. George Bush got an MBA from Harvard and graduated in the bottom 10% of his class. Enough said. Rant over.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Nothing personal here about Lin but just because one graduates from Harvard does not necessarily make you any more intelligent or dummier than someone having done so from Stanford, McGill or Ryerson etc. It is no doubt an institution of renown but this hype (mostly by breathless espn yokels) of "Harvard graduate" somehow makes Lin a superior on-court thinker is really laughable. George Bush got an MBA from Harvard and graduated in the bottom 10% of his class. Enough said. Rant over.
                  Jeremy Lin is a smart player though. He has high basketball IQ. He doesn't make the right decisions but most turnovers come from poor off-hand abilities, and carelessness.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

They're 2-3 in their last five and Lin has averaged close on to 6 TO/game over that time(and that's an improvement).

I've had a chance to watch some of Lin's games here and there and if a guy like DeRozan was getting calls like Lin gets he wouldn't be under the bus right now. Seriously, the officials are not treating him like a guy who just came out of D-league. DeRozan is a high profile former lottery pick, Lin was nobody until a month ago. In games Lin gets the benefit of the doubt while DeRozan gets treated like Andre Barret--- I know, right, "who?!" Exactly.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    Jeremy Lin is a smart player though. He has high basketball IQ. He doesn't make the right decisions but most turnovers come from poor off-hand abilities, and carelessness.
                    You'd think a guy who had to sleep on his brother's coach while he was practicing with the Knicks would be anything but careless with the basketball so I disagree. We can't write all his turnovers off as anything but what's going on between his two ears. How are you differentiating between carelessness and questionable decision making? If he had some sort of track record of protecting the ball instead of giving it away like Robin Hood on steroids then we'd have something to compare his current play to. Me, I feel he was cut by three teams this year, he was almost cut by the Knicks and so I'm not going to chalking anything up to him not focusing on the matter at hand. The guy hasn't proved he has a great IQ. Jose Calderon, he has a great IQ and he doesn't turn the ball over. Even on Jose's worst of night he wouldn't turn the ball over as much on a good Jeremy Lin night.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      They're 2-3 in their last five and Lin has averaged close on to 6 TO/game over that time(and that's an improvement).

I've had a chance to watch some of Lin's games here and there and if a guy like DeRozan was getting calls like Lin gets he wouldn't be under the bus right now. Seriously, the officials are not treating him like a guy who just came out of D-league. DeRozan is a high profile former lottery pick, Lin was nobody until a month ago. In games Lin gets the benefit of the doubt while DeRozan gets treated like Andre Barret--- I know, right, "who?!" Exactly.

You'd think a guy who had to sleep on his brother's coach while he was practicing with the Knicks would be anything but careless with the basketball so I disagree. We can't write all his turnovers off as anything but what's going on between his two ears. How are you differentiating between carelessness and questionable decision making? If he had some sort of track record of protecting the ball instead of giving it away like Robin Hood on steroids then we'd have something to compare his current play to. Me, I feel he was cut by three teams this year, he was almost cut by the Knicks and so I'm not going to chalking anything up to him not focusing on the matter at hand. The guy hasn't proved he has a great IQ. Jose Calderon, he has a great IQ and he doesn't turn the ball over. Even on Jose's worst of night he wouldn't turn the ball over as much on a good Jeremy Lin night.
                      Great Post Apollo.
                      My sentiments exactly.

Comment

1. "dummier" is not a word. You meant "dumber".
                        2. Yes, but being able to get into Harvard without being a legacy (like Bush) or booster is definitely a testament to your hard work. I'm also willing to bet that the average IQ at Harvard is much much higher compared to, say, Ryerson.
                        3. It's ESPN, man. When did ESPN not sensationalize anything?

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        The difference is that Jose had lots of professional experience playing the point before he came to the NBA.

Lin was a SG before he came to the NBA.
                        Last edited by Prime; Tue Feb 28, 2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Well right now he's the starting PG of a professional team and I don't think Knicks fans or their media are going to give a crap about what position he played at Harvard when he's coughing the ball up 6-8 times per game during the playoffs. Defenses tighten up in the playoffs and who knows maybe they expose him so badly at that level that he's riding the pine to make way for Baron Davis like I've predicted... And he doesn't have an opportunity to post a double double: 20 points, 10 turnovers.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                            1. "dummier" is not a word. You meant "dumber".
                            2. Yes, but being able to get into Harvard without being a legacy (like Bush) or booster is definitely a testament to your hard work. I'm also willing to bet that the average IQ at Harvard is much much higher compared to, say, Ryerson.
                            3. It's ESPN, man. When did ESPN not sensationalize anything?
                            1. Lol....absolutely correct
                            2. Didnt he get in on an athletic scholarship

My point was only that there are other brilliant point guards in the NBA who didnt go to Harvard. Lin does not have this grasp and vision of great pg play because he did. This is not about Lin but rather the breathless/unprovable twinning of his on court capabilities with having attended an iconic institution. Wonder what happens if he has a string of bad games?

Comment

Apollo:

Such is the life of a young guard after being given a starter's responsibility in the NBA.
                              1. Lol....absolutely correct
                              2. Didnt he get in on an athletic scholarship

My point was only that there are other brilliant point guards in the NBA who didnt go to Harvard. Lin does not have this grasp and vision of great pg play because he did. This is not about Lin but rather the breathless/unprovable twinning of his on court capabilities with having attended an iconic institution. Wonder what happens if he has a string of bad games?
                              Harvard doesn't give out athletic scholarships.

Comment

Apparently Harvard also doesn't teach guards how to protect the ball or read defenses.

Comment

Working...
                                X