How much? Really, Amir? 256?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Did you actually reply that? I mean I'm not saying he can't lose it in 2 weeks. .but I doubt you and him share a similar body type and lifestyle. Also don't forget that they're not just going to try and run his weight off. He has to get stronger. Also he's clearly going to have to eat more, you know, since he's a pro athlete with a physically grueling schedule. Sigh.....I just don't know why you'd even make that comparison.
    Yes, I actually replied to that. Not sure why it results in a sigh. The point is that the guy probably didn't get his regular amount of off season work because he was recovering from injury. It shouldn't be hard for a guy who's 256 and isn't in peak physical shape to lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      This comment is not because I hate his game. I'm one of the few that vehemently defends the guy. I'm merely stating this due to the crowded front court situation. If he's the main big off the bench, that's what he needs to strive for. JV arriving next year, with the rise of Ed and Bargs (so anchored to the franchise, he's considering to become Canadian), its going to be more competitive than ever. As for your other points with Bayless and DeRozan, I agree. But I think the pressure's on Amir to really make it happen this year based on the last two draft picks.
      I don't think he actually needs to do much more than he did last year, when he was arguably the most valuable big the Raptors had. The guy has proven he can be a fantastic guy off the bench, and is comfortable in that role.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
        Why does Amir need to lose weight? He's 7 feet tall with a decent frame, young enough that his body probably is just finishing developing -- 255 is not too heavy. I saw the interview -- it didn't look like "Canadian brew" (his words when asked) was what got him that extra weight -- he's looking pretty cut. If it's 'good' weight, and if he maintains his flexibility, balance, etc., the extra pounds should actually help him playing at the C position.
        When you put on that much weight that quickly, it puts A LOT of strain on your joints, especially your knees. Usually when people put on that much weight they end up having knee problems because their knees simply couldn't adjust quickly enough to supporting that much weight.

That's actually why I've said that I wouldn't want Valanciunas to gain that much weight. He needs to get stronger, but I wouldn't want to see him pack on much more weight.
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Yes, I actually replied to that. Not sure why it results in a sigh. The point is that the guy probably didn't get his regular amount of off season work because he was recovering from injury. It shouldn't be hard for a guy who's 256 and isn't in peak physical shape to lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
          Because if I said he needed to gain 10 lbs, and said he should be able to because I once did it in 2 weeks just by eating a lot more, would it make it a good comparison?

Comment

Because if I said he needed to gain 10 lbs, and said he should be able to because I once did it in 2 weeks just by eating a lot more, would it make it a good comparison?
            It depends what type of weight you want him to gain. My guess is no.

I wasn't suggesting that Amir could simply lose the weight by eating less, but the fact that I was able to do it that way shows that it's not that difficult a task. Especially since Amir is much heavier than I was (so the percent of body weight would be less). I thought that was pretty obvious. Apparently not.
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote:
              Alright dude. You're right. You're clearly the type of person who needs to always be right. Your argument makes very little sense, but you're right.

Why is it easier to lose weight when you're heavier? When I was on my high school team, our biggest guy had the hardest time losing weight. And if a guy is an athlete much of the weight above the average is muscle and then it becomes very complicated figuring out where they need to be at to stay health and strong. But you know, you must be right, because I'm assuming you have a degree in sports science or medicine.

*note: I'm not claiming to be an expert, all I ever said was I was worried how his weight might affect his health and figure given he's always been skinny and small-framed, losing a like 10 lbs might be for the best. I'm sure at least 5-10 will be burned off over the course of the season regardless.
              Apparently YOU'RE also the type of person that always needs to be right, as well. Otherwise you wouldn't have a problem, here. Would you?

I just brought up something from experience that I felt was related to the topic being discussed. Never claimed to be an expert, either. Never said I was right or wrong or that anyone else was.

And the reason heavier people can gain and lose weight easier is because it's a smaller percentage of weight for them. A fluctuation of 10 pounds for a person 300 pounds is like a fluctuation of 5 pounds for someone who's 150 pounds.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apparently YOU'RE also the type of person that always needs to be right, as well. Otherwise you wouldn't have a problem, here. Would you?

I just brought up something from experience that I felt was related to the topic being discussed. Never claimed to be an expert, either. Never said I was right or wrong or that anyone else was.

And the reason heavier people can gain and lose weight easier is because it's a smaller percentage of weight for them. A fluctuation of 10 pounds for a person 300 pounds is like a fluctuation of 5 pounds for someone who's 150 pounds.
                Well that's a different amount, but the same %, so you just proved my point. Just because a heavier person can gain or lose more weight, does not necessarily mean they can do so more easily. Someone who's 150 lbs could have a much easier time losing 5 lbs than someone who's 300 lbs would have to lose 10 lbs. For another example, 2 300 lb people could have much different success rates trying to lose weight.

Comment

Well that's a different amount, but the same %, so you just proved my point. Just because a heavier person can gain or lose more weight, does not necessarily mean they can do so more easily. Someone who's 150 lbs could have a much easier time losing 5 lbs than someone who's 300 lbs would have to lose 10 lbs. For another example, 2 300 lb people could have much different success rates trying to lose weight.
                  I'm confused. How did I prove your point?
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm confused. How did I prove your point?
                    My original point was that just because you lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, it doesn't mean Amir could, or should that fast. And on top of that, the notion that just because he's heavier it should be at least as easy if not easier for him to do so makes no kind of real sense.

Comment

Basically unless you're 6'9'' or 6'10'', to take the most crucial factor in size, your experience does not serve as much of a basis for comparison.

Comment

My original point was that just because you lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, it doesn't mean Amir could, or should that fast. And on top of that, the notion that just because he's heavier it should be at least as easy if not easier for him to do so makes no kind of real sense.
                        My point was that 10 pounds is less percentage of body weight for Amir, than it is for me, so it should be conceivably easier for him to lose the same amount. For me, it was 5% of my body weight. For Amir 10 pounds is 4% of his body weight.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Aaaanyway - Lets move on with this and maybe agree that while 10 lbs of fat/muscle weight loss in 7 days (not primarily water weight) would be a really bad idea for a guy who has a body fat percentage south of 10%, Tim is indeed accurate in the point that we're likely all taking this much to seriously since half of that weight gain will be burned off during this season and Amir is, outside of ankle issues, has shown the ability to avoid major injuries caused by the grind of an NBA season. Now if Amir had a history of foot\knee\micro-fracture injuries it would be a different story...
                          Last edited by Edgar; Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:15 AM.
                          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                          X