Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: How much? Really, Amir? 256?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Alright dude. You're right. You're clearly the type of person who needs to always be right. Your argument makes very little sense, but you're right.

    Why is it easier to lose weight when you're heavier? When I was on my high school team, our biggest guy had the hardest time losing weight. And if a guy is an athlete much of the weight above the average is muscle and then it becomes very complicated figuring out where they need to be at to stay health and strong. But you know, you must be right, because I'm assuming you have a degree in sports science or medicine.

    *note: I'm not claiming to be an expert, all I ever said was I was worried how his weight might affect his health and figure given he's always been skinny and small-framed, losing a like 10 lbs might be for the best. I'm sure at least 5-10 will be burned off over the course of the season regardless.
    Apparently YOU'RE also the type of person that always needs to be right, as well. Otherwise you wouldn't have a problem, here. Would you?

    I just brought up something from experience that I felt was related to the topic being discussed. Never claimed to be an expert, either. Never said I was right or wrong or that anyone else was.

    And the reason heavier people can gain and lose weight easier is because it's a smaller percentage of weight for them. A fluctuation of 10 pounds for a person 300 pounds is like a fluctuation of 5 pounds for someone who's 150 pounds.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Apparently YOU'RE also the type of person that always needs to be right, as well. Otherwise you wouldn't have a problem, here. Would you?

    I just brought up something from experience that I felt was related to the topic being discussed. Never claimed to be an expert, either. Never said I was right or wrong or that anyone else was.

    And the reason heavier people can gain and lose weight easier is because it's a smaller percentage of weight for them. A fluctuation of 10 pounds for a person 300 pounds is like a fluctuation of 5 pounds for someone who's 150 pounds.
    Well that's a different amount, but the same %, so you just proved my point. Just because a heavier person can gain or lose more weight, does not necessarily mean they can do so more easily. Someone who's 150 lbs could have a much easier time losing 5 lbs than someone who's 300 lbs would have to lose 10 lbs. For another example, 2 300 lb people could have much different success rates trying to lose weight.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Well that's a different amount, but the same %, so you just proved my point. Just because a heavier person can gain or lose more weight, does not necessarily mean they can do so more easily. Someone who's 150 lbs could have a much easier time losing 5 lbs than someone who's 300 lbs would have to lose 10 lbs. For another example, 2 300 lb people could have much different success rates trying to lose weight.
    I'm confused. How did I prove your point?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm confused. How did I prove your point?
    My original point was that just because you lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, it doesn't mean Amir could, or should that fast. And on top of that, the notion that just because he's heavier it should be at least as easy if not easier for him to do so makes no kind of real sense.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Basically unless you're 6'9'' or 6'10'', to take the most crucial factor in size, your experience does not serve as much of a basis for comparison.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    My original point was that just because you lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, it doesn't mean Amir could, or should that fast. And on top of that, the notion that just because he's heavier it should be at least as easy if not easier for him to do so makes no kind of real sense.
    My point was that 10 pounds is less percentage of body weight for Amir, than it is for me, so it should be conceivably easier for him to lose the same amount. For me, it was 5% of my body weight. For Amir 10 pounds is 4% of his body weight.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aaaanyway - Lets move on with this and maybe agree that while 10 lbs of fat/muscle weight loss in 7 days (not primarily water weight) would be a really bad idea for a guy who has a body fat percentage south of 10%, Tim is indeed accurate in the point that we're likely all taking this much to seriously since half of that weight gain will be burned off during this season and Amir is, outside of ankle issues, has shown the ability to avoid major injuries caused by the grind of an NBA season. Now if Amir had a history of foot\knee\micro-fracture injuries it would be a different story...
    Last edited by Edgar; Mon Dec 12th, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •