No announcement yet.

Buyer's remorse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're sitting at $39M without the $4M qualifying offer to Bayless and without the player option to Alabi ($900K). With Brewer and Bayless on the books they're sitting at $47M. Then you toss in another $2-4M for a 1st rounder and they're probably sitting at $50M heading into free agency next summer. I'm not sure it's such a good idea after all. I'd much rather them enter free agency at $42M and with the option to place the qualifying offer to Bayless and actually being able to afford to do it without taking them out of the hunt for a star or a couple starter quality players.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      They're sitting at $39M without the $4M qualifying offer to Bayless and without the player option to Alabi ($900K). With Brewer and Bayless on the books they're sitting at $47M. Then you toss in another $2-4M for a 1st rounder and they're probably sitting at $50M heading into free agency next summer. I'm not sure it's such a good idea after all. I'd much rather them enter free agency at $42M and with the option to place the qualifying offer to Bayless and actually being able to afford to do it without taking them out of the hunt for a star or a couple starter quality players.
      Don't forget JV. He adds another $2.9M next year. So we are at $45 minus Bayless offer. Luckily if a really good opportunity presents itself, the Raps can shed $10.5M very quickly.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
        but will BC regret not taking a more patient approach, seeing what players land where, and seeing if some good quality youngsters could be had on the cheap.
        Why?

Waiting
        Pros: Possibility of quality youngsters available on the cheap (but the Raptors will not be the only team insterested in those youngsters and may fail to land any).
        Cons: The players BryCo wants may no longer be available.

I prefer to control my destiny and act early.

Comment

Good points Matt. At this point I'd rather them not Amnesty Calderon(the most likely guy) unless it's really necessary. They've become so young that they're going to need a solid veteran presence in the locker room and on the bench. His defense is probably always going to be mediocre but he's proven to be very good at kick starting the offense off the bench and being able to knock down big shots. I think his transition back to the bench will be easy and will allow him to extend his NBA career.

Comment

Good points Matt. At this point I'd rather them not Amnesty Calderon(the most likely guy) unless it's really necessary. They've become so young that they're going to need a solid veteran presence in the locker room and on the bench. His defense is probably always going to be mediocre but he's proven to be very good at kick starting the offense off the bench and being able to knock down big shots. I think his transition back to the bench will be easy and will allow him to extend his NBA career.
            Is just hope Calderon is indeed transitioned to the bench. I'm not sure if the starter's role has been handed to Bayless just yet, although I agree it should be for evaluation purposes.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
              Why?

Waiting
              Pros: Possibility of quality youngsters available on the cheap (but the Raptors will not be the only team insterested in those youngsters and may fail to land any).
              Cons: The players BryCo wants may no longer be available.

I prefer to control my destiny and act early.
              i'm kind of thinking that most of these guys - or similar stop-gap players - would be available. maybe not these exact players, but guys of similar ilk. are we really expecting anything of substance out of them? if he's just looking to fill out the roster - and these signings are that to a T - then why not just wait a few minutes & see how the market plays out? OMG, they might miss the chance to sign anthony carter or rasual butler!?! heavens to betsy NO! where oh where would they ever be able to find comprable talent?
              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

That's a valid position; I just disagree with it.

Comment

I really liked Brewer coming out of College and thought he'd of been a nice fit on the Raps at the time. Loved his hustle and defence. Offensively he's still a little challenged and relies on his hops too much but he'd of fit in nice with that squad that needed youth and athletcsm at the wings. His injury history is a little scary but I have a feeling that some team will give him a chance and he'll blossom. I mean look at how he was jerked around in Minny (and who he was playing with), barely played with the Mavs and I bet his confidence is a little shot.

I'd rather have CB over Forbes or Butler.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

The difference in talent gap when choosing 1 - 5, and choosing 12 - 18 is franchise altering. Why take the risk? The right free agent signing, a couple young guy's emerging, and the right chemistry... and we have a team that could easily jump right on the treadmill.

I'm happy with the direction BC went. We have an amnesty provision, and I believe we still have the TPE. If there is something worth doing, it can get done.
                    Last edited by big_chris; Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Odom is one and done probably.
                      Odum has 2 years left on a 3 year deal with a $2M buyout if the 4th year option is not picked up.

Comment

No, he's in his final year but there is a team option which they most certainly will not opt to pick up because they're going after Deron Williams in the off-season.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Comment

Back to the topic of Buyers Remorse - If BC dealt a protected 2nd rounder etc to the Mavs for Fernandez (which would be fine by me) what's stopping him? The fear of waiving the guaranteed vet minimum contracts of Butler or Carter?!?
                          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                            Back to the topic of Buyers Remorse - If BC dealt a protected 2nd rounder etc to the Mavs for Fernandez (which would be fine by me) what's stopping him? The fear of waiving the guaranteed vet minimum contracts of Butler or Carter?!?
                            The fear of having a player who is only still in the NBA because of FIBA/NBA contract rules causing a stink (remember the summer of 2010 and his desire to get out of Portland by any means necessary?). Fernandez would be a third string SG behind DD and Barbosa. No thanks.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              The fear of having a player who is only still in the NBA because of FIBA/NBA contract rules causing a stink (remember the summer of 2010 and his desire to get out of Portland by any means necessary?). Fernandez would be a third string SG behind DD and Barbosa. No thanks.
                              i agree in general that rudy could be a distraction, but i think he'd be able to get a significant amount more PT in TO than he did in POR, where he was fighting with roy & batum (among others, at various times), and his playing time really jumped around. his attitude (and play) didn't help his cause any...but to a degree, he was a victim of pritchard's never-ending accumulation of young talent. he's still got a lot of raw talent, and he's still plenty young to have a meaningful NBA career. FWIW, i don't mind that a player wants to play more (i'll take that over a guy who's content to sit on the bench, wave a towel, and cash his cheque), but i need to see his desire to play come out in the quality of his play in practice & in games.
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                                i agree in general that rudy could be a distraction, but i think he'd be able to get a significant amount more PT in TO than he did in POR, where he was fighting with roy & batum (among others, at various times), and his playing time really jumped around. his attitude (and play) didn't help his cause any...but to a degree, he was a victim of pritchard's never-ending accumulation of young talent. he's still got a lot of raw talent, and he's still plenty young to have a meaningful NBA career. FWIW, i don't mind that a player wants to play more (i'll take that over a guy who's content to sit on the bench, wave a towel, and cash his cheque), but i need to see his desire to play come out in the quality of his play in practice & in games.
                                But what is the point for the Raptors? He has made it clear he intends to go back to Spain. In fact Real Madrid already has a contract with him that allows him to fulfill his contractual obligations in the NBA and then he will return to Spain to play for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X