Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Showing Interest in Reggie Evans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yes, in a heartbeat. Could he be then "Amnesty claused"? I know its only applicable to those signed prior to the CBA expiring but are players who meet this condition but are traded disqualified? Even if he can't be dropped via the Amnesty clause he would be a good vet to have and re-sign. The Raptors would get his bird rights. If they didn't re-sign him they could be players in 2013 free agency(in this scenario $21M left on the books including Val, two 2012 1st rounders & excluding new deals to DeRozan, Bayless, JJ, Calderon and Barbosa).
    I recall reading you can't trade for, then amnesty a player.

Now, would you still do it if it was top 3/5 protected? That might mean the Raptors don't end up with a second pick this year.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Yes, in a heartbeat. Could he be then "Amnesty claused"? I know its only applicable to those signed prior to the CBA expiring but are players who meet this condition but are traded disqualified? Even if he can't be dropped via the Amnesty clause he would be a good vet to have and re-sign. The Raptors would get his bird rights. If they didn't re-sign him they could be players in 2013 free agency(in this scenario $21M left on the books including Val, two 2012 1st rounders & excluding new deals to DeRozan, Bayless, JJ, Calderon and Barbosa).
      His contract is guaranteed for 'only' around $10M in 2012-2013. The Raptors could not pick up the final year and be in the same financial situation as if they kept Bargnani.... except of course, in this scenario, they would have another unprotected, and likely, lottery pick. Lewis' last year of his contract is much like Carter's - a buyout if full year not picked up.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

Now, would you still do it if it was top 3/5 protected? That might mean the Raptors don't end up with a second pick this year.
        If there were any protections, no, I would not do it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          His contract is guaranteed for 'only' around $10M in 2012-2013. The Raptors could not pick up the final year and be in the same financial situation as if they kept Bargnani.... except of course, in this scenario, they would have another unprotected, and likely, lottery pick. Lewis' last year of his contract is much like Carter's - a buyout if full year not picked up.
          Mmm. I didn't know that...

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          If there were any protections, no, I would not do it.
          Which actually makes me puzzled why you wouldn't do it if there were protections. Is your fear that if they got a top 3-5 pick this year, then the pick next year might be a pick in the 10-15 range, and not enough for Bargnani and Barbosa.

Now, one thing they could do is use Lewis' non-guaranteed contract to make a deal on draft night. I can see that contract being fairly valuable- one that you can immediately take $14 million off of if you waive him.

I think I would still do that even with protections.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

Dont hold me absolutely to this but I believe you have to keep a traded-for player at least 6 mos or July 1 before doing an amnesty.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Dont hold me absolutely to this but I believe you have to keep a traded-for player at least 6 mos or July 1 before doing an amnesty.
              I thought you could only amnesty players that your team signed prior to July 1 2011. Any player that you trade for or sign after July 1 cannot be amnestied. An amnesty player picked up through the waiver wire can be traded but only after 6 months of the signing.

To the discussion at hand - I absolutely give up Bargnani and Barbosa for Lewis and their pick. If the pick is protected then I would look for other deals, but if this is the best deal on the table I would still take it. You lose 4 years off of Bargnani's contract for basically one year + $10M for Lewis - who could then also be used as a trade chip in 2012/2013.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                You cannot amnesty a player you have traded for.

The player must be on YOUR roster as of July 1st, 2011.

You cannot trade a player that was picked up via amnesty until July 1st, 2012.

Comment

bargnani for the wizards pick straight up would be good. We could end up with 2 amazing talents to add next year. And we get rid of bargnani's contract and it frees up playing time for Ed to tear it up.

Comment

Working...
                  X