Casey's 8-9 man rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey's 8-9 man rotation

According to the Toronto Sun, Casey will be going with an 8-9 man rotation on most nights.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/14...o-raps-is-done

So that begs the question, who do you think that rotation will consist of?

PGs 1. Bayless 2. Calderon
    SGs 3. DeRozan
    SFs 4. J.Johnson
    PFs 5. Bargnani 6. Davis
    Cs 7. Amir 8. Gray

That leaves Barbosa and Butler fighting for backup minutes at the wings. Eventually Kleiza will add to that confusion. And we haven't yet mentioned Forbes who's coming in with a fresh 2-year contract.

Then there's Alabi, who we still don't know if he can contribute anything. And lastly, there's Magloire...whose barking in practice will probably lose credibility if he never actually sees the floor.

As for Carter, I think he's perfectly content being a 3rd string PG.

No way there's a 8-9 man rotation wih the schedule. You do a 8-9 rotation in the playoffs.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Sam ran with a 8-9 man rotation the whole time he was here, playoffs or not.

Comment

So Derozan or JJ will be playing 48 Mins?

No way.

Comment

He even said it may go to 10 even with the compressed sched

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
            So Derozan or JJ will be playing 48 Mins?

No way.
            (5*48)/9= 26.6

Comment

When I read about Casey's desire to go with an 8-9 man rotation, I assumed he was referring to players who would get substantial minutes. I assumed other players would play as necessary, in small doses; ie: to give rotation players some rest, when rotation players get into foul trouble, against certain specific matchups...

Here are the players I assume will be part of the primary 9 man rotation, all getting substantial minutes:
              PG: Calderon & Bayless
              SG: DeRozan & Barbosa
              SF: Johnson & Forbes/Butler (I think they'll battle for playing time and Casey will go with matchups/hot hand)
              PF/C: Bargnani & Davis & Amir

I think players like Gray, Magloire, Alabi and Forbes/Butler will get minimal minutes. I envision whichever C starts (Gray/Magloire) getting very few minutes at the start of each half to set the defensive tone, much the same way Rasho used to, without getting major minutes and being considered part of the core rotation (except for the few games where there is a large opposing C, where they will get more minutes for the specific matchup).

Kleiza (injury), Carter and one of Gray/Magloire/Alabi will likely be stylin' at the end of the bench most nights. When Kleiza comes back, I think he'll join the battle with Forbes & Butler for backup minutes at the SF spot.

Comment

I believe Gray / Magloire will Play with AB whenever AB is on the floor as the first unit. Amir and Ed will be on the second unit... All other players will depand on their defense. during the season it will be a 12 / 14 man rotation especially when playing back to back to back

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  (5*48)/9= 26.6
                  I was reffering to the original poster who said

SGs 3. DeRozan
                  SFs 4. J.Johnson
                  PFs 5. Bargnani 6. Davis
                  Cs 7. Amir 8. Gray

By looking at this, even by adding barbosa or Butler in, only having one back up at the wing they would be playing close to 48 mins.

2*48/3 = 32
                  and I dont think Barbosa is healthy enough to play 32 mins a game, not to mention wont be able to keep up at Sf.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. If Casey rolls with a 9 man rotation you're going to see some balance there. He's not going to play DeRozan and JJ to the point where they break down.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      According to the Toronto Sun, Casey will be going with an 8-9 man rotation on most nights.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/14...o-raps-is-done

So that begs the question, who do you think that rotation will consist of?

SGs 3. DeRozan
                      SFs 4. J.Johnson
                      PFs 5. Bargnani 6. Davis
                      Cs 7. Amir 8. Gray

That leaves Barbosa and Butler fighting for backup minutes at the wings. Eventually Kleiza will add to that confusion. And we haven't yet mentioned Forbes who's coming in with a fresh 2-year contract.

Then there's Alabi, who we still don't know if he can contribute anything. And lastly, there's Magloire...whose barking in practice will probably lose credibility if he never actually sees the floor.

As for Carter, I think he's perfectly content being a 3rd string PG.
                      And now we officially have Forbes added to the mix.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                        He even said it may go to 10 even with the compressed sched
                        And they will certainly be making use of the inactive list each night. I imagine we'll see nights where even Bargnani or DD might be out for nothing more than rest.

Comment

I think forbesy will get more minutes than butler, and be the dude to spell DeMar and JJ.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            I think forbesy will get more minutes than butler, and be the dude to spell DeMar and JJ.
                            Absolutely. Butler is Julian Wright this year - but you know, he'll play when called.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
                              I was reffering to the original poster who said

SGs 3. DeRozan
                              SFs 4. J.Johnson
                              PFs 5. Bargnani 6. Davis
                              Cs 7. Amir 8. Gray

By looking at this, even by adding barbosa or Butler in, only having one back up at the wing they would be playing close to 48 mins.

2*48/3 = 32
                              and I dont think Barbosa is healthy enough to play 32 mins a game, not to mention wont be able to keep up at Sf.
                              The original post was highlighting exactly what you implied. That is, how the hell does Casey go with a 9-man rotation with this lineup?

Comment

Working...
                              X