Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rodney Stuckey - or his advisor - is a fool

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Rodney Stuckey - or his advisor - is a fool

    The Detroit Pistons and restricted free agent Rodney Stuckey are struggling to come to terms on a long-term contract, sources said.

    Stuckey, the Pistons' top free agent this offseason, is balking at what the team is prepared to pay him. The Pistons have discussed a deal that would pay Stuckey between $40 million and $45 million over five years, according to sources.

    By comparison, Mike Conley agreed to a five-year, $40 million extension with the Memphis Grizzlies in November.

    Stuckey's representatives, seeking an even bigger deal, have been contacting other teams the past few days, looking to broker a sign-and-trade deal. However, the Pistons are telling teams they won't agree to one, sources said.

    If the impasse continues, Stuckey's representatives are threatening to take the Pistons' one-year, $3.87 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent in 2012.
    Source: ESPN.com


    Someone should remind Rodney Stuckey as to what happened when Joe Smith turned down a $90M contract. I know what I would do as the Joe Dumars - let him play out the qualifying offer and start developing Brandon Knight. I know what I would do as a rival GM receiving a call to give more than 5 years and $40-45M - laugh hysterically and hang up.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The funny thing is that Stuckey's people are acting so dumb here it actually surpasses the idiocy of Detroit offering him the deal in the first place.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    The funny thing is that Stuckey's people are acting so dumb here it actually surpasses the idiocy of Detroit offering him the deal in the first place.
    Exactly. I didn't even go there because that is an entirely different issue in and of itself, deserving of its own thread.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    who the hell would pay rodney stuckey that much money? He's not that good. I think jerryd bayless has more upside than him

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    who the hell would pay rodney stuckey that much money? He's not that good. I think jerryd bayless has more upside than him
    I don't know that I'd go that far. Stuckey is a decent player but he's not the most efficient scorer and he doesn't really make the players around him better. His numbers don't look all that bad but the issue is whether he can run a winning team on the floor. If that's the question about a PG, you don't give him $45mm over 5 years.

    I like Matt's idea. Pull the offer, let him play out this year while you bring Knight along slowly. Turn the reins over to Knight next year and sign a veteran PG as insurance. There are always a few available.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And I thought Calderon's contract was bad.

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Source: ESPN.com


    Someone should remind Rodney Stuckey as to what happened when Joe Smith turned down a $90M contract. I know what I would do as the Joe Dumars - let him play out the qualifying offer and start developing Brandon Knight. I know what I would do as a rival GM receiving a call to give more than 5 years and $40-45M - laugh hysterically and hang up.
    ...Is the guy really even worth that much?

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I don't know that I'd go that far. Stuckey is a decent player but he's not the most efficient scorer and he doesn't really make the players around him better. His numbers don't look all that bad but the issue is whether he can run a winning team on the floor. If that's the question about a PG, you don't give him $45mm over 5 years.

    I like Matt's idea. Pull the offer, let him play out this year while you bring Knight along slowly. Turn the reins over to Knight next year and sign a veteran PG as insurance. There are always a few available.
    you give Bayless those kind of minutes and he'll put up better numbers and be more efficient from the field i guarantee it.

  9. #9
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Right now it sounds like Casey is looking for Bayless to be the spark plug off the bench. I see him getting more minutes though. I really hope he plays outstanding this season and makes it a no brainer for the $4M qualifying offer. If he struggles and they opt not to send him the offer he becomes a UFA and in most cases when a team refuses to make a qualifying offer the UFA signs elsewhere.

    I think Stuckey has the talent to be an outstanding player and he may very well have more talent than Bayless but I feel Bayless is more valuable because of how he plays the game.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Stuckey signed for 3 years and $25M.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •