Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ESPN Insider East Rankings: Raptors 13th out of 15

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't know. I mean they have a starting lineup of D12, Glen Davis, Hedont, Jason Richardson and Jameer Nelson. Then they have Hughes, Redick, Duhon and Clark coming off the bench. That's good for 8th seed in the east for sure if Howard isn't distracted.
    Don't forget Ryan Anderson. He's probably one of the most underrated players in the league.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

No point writing the whole list.

Few points: I still don't see a starting pg for the Knicks that I like. So they're probably around 5 or 6 in my eyes. The Hawks lost a pretty important part, so I have them around 7. And Orlando, with all this turmoil, has got to fall to around 8.

For some reason, I think Boston will be a top 4 seed in the East. They have the parts -- they're just old. My guess is that becomes more relevant in the playoffs.

I actually have the Raps around 11 or 12. From 10-15 will be close this year, but, this is the first time in a while the Raps have little personnel turnover. That, and their youth will allow them to be slightly more bearable than expected.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Few points: I still don't see a starting pg for the Knicks that I like. So they're probably around 5 or 6 in my eyes. The Hawks lost a pretty important part, so I have them around 7. And Orlando, with all this turmoil, has got to fall to around 8.
    The Knicks don't need a realy pointguard with Stoudemire and Anthony on the team. They basically just need someone to bring the ball up the floor who can play defense and shoot the 3 to spread the floor. Toney Douglas can do exactly that.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Until D'amntoni decides to preach defense, NY won't be better than 6th in the conference.

My rankings...
    1.Chicago
    2. Miami
    3. Philly
    4. Orlando
    5. Boston
    6. Ny
    7. Indiana
    8. Atlanta
    9. Milwaukee
    10.New Jersey
    11. Detroit
    12. Toronto
    13. Washington
    14. Cleveland
    15. Charlotte
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't know. I mean they have a starting lineup of D12, Glen Davis, Hedont, Jason Richardson and Jameer Nelson. Then they have Hughes, Redick, Duhon and Clark coming off the bench. That's good for 8th seed in the east for sure if Howard isn't distracted.
    Ryan Anderson is starting.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm watching Orlando and Miami right now and Orlando is looking GREAT.
    Jameer Nelson and Jason Richardson are lighting it up and Big Baby is looking pretty trim and VERY effective.

Assuming they get a package equal to Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman and Aminu for Howard, I think they'll still be competitive for 6th in the East.

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Ryan Anderson is starting.
    BIG fan of Ryan Anderson.
    He's basically on the path that I'd hoped Bargnani would develop into.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

'blackjitsu wrote:
    Few points: I still don't see a starting pg for the Knicks that I like. So they're probably around 5 or 6 in my eyes. The Hawks lost a pretty important part, so I have them around 7. And Orlando, with all this turmoil, has got to fall to around 8.'

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    The Knicks don't need a realy pointguard with Stoudemire and Anthony on the team. They basically just need someone to bring the ball up the floor who can play defense and shoot the 3 to spread the floor. Toney Douglas can do exactly that.
    no love for a motivated baron (assuming he returns relatively quickly, and relatively unscathed), playing in NY, in an up-tempo offense, with melo & stat & chandler?

the garden is gonna luuuuuv him, and he feeds off that. we remember fat, slow, don't-give-a-shit baron davis from the clips & cavs, but put him in an electric environment like NY/MSG, and he goes nuts (in a good way).

agree re. D, which is why i don't see them as a top-6 team, but i think they are (at worst) solid, esp with the backcourt solidified by BD. and if you had to pick a team outside the top-5 to pull an upset in the playoffs???
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Knicks have a great ball-stopper at the point, Douglas, and great post defender, Chandler. In addition, their rebounding should be good. I don't think they'll have a defensive problem. They don't have a distributor at the point, and that's a problem. I'd like to see them get Nash.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Baron davis is chunky.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to understand why all the Philly love? ESPN ranked them 5th.. others have said 3rd or 4th. They basically have the same team as last year, and they were .500, and in the playoffs they got spanked by the Heat. I think they'll be ranked 8th.. but will be a fringe team competing with Milwaukee, NJ and Atlanta to make the playoffs.

Am I missing something?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm trying to understand why all the Philly love? ESPN ranked them 5th.. others have said 3rd or 4th. They basically have the same team as last year, and they were .500, and in the playoffs they got spanked by the Heat. I think they'll be ranked 8th.. but will be a fringe team competing with Milwaukee, NJ and Atlanta to make the playoffs.

Am I missing something?
    It's probably because most of Philly's key pieces last year (i.e. Holiday, Turner, Young, Williams) were young and relatively inexperienced, while also working out the kinks with a new coach.

This year, everyone's 1 year older/wiser, is comfortable with Collins' system, and Brand is finally playing to the level of his contract (almost).

Philly started the season 3-13, but went 38-28 (.576) to end the season. That projects to 47 wins through a full 82 game schedule, which sounds about right for a 4 or 5 seed.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Dec 22nd, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's probably because most of Philly's key pieces last year (i.e. Holiday, Turner, Young, Williams) were young and relatively inexperienced, while also working out the kinks with a new coach.

This year, everyone's 1 year older/wiser, is comfortable with Collins' system, and Brand is finally playing to the level of his contract (almost).

Philly started the season 3-13, but went 38-28 (.576) to end the season. That projects to 47 wins through a full 82 game schedule, which sounds about right for a 4 or 5 seed.
    That's good reasoning - thanks.

The Sixers are basically fielding a team that is very similar to what the Raptors have (minus an Iggy or Brand - unless you count Bargnani and Calderon). So if they jump up to 4th or 5th in the standings, that gives the Raptors a lot of hope for the future, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    That's good reasoning - thanks.

The Sixers are basically fielding a team that is very similar to what the Raptors have (minus an Iggy or Brand - unless you count Bargnani and Calderon). So if they jump up to 4th or 5th in the standings, that gives the Raptors a lot of hope for the future, in my opinion.
    Jrue Holiday is turning into the Main guy in that offense, and he is a very special player.
    I think alot of 'Experts' are going off what they saw in the Playoffs from Holiday, and figuring if that carries over, the Sixers will be a VERY different team.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm really digging Paul George. He could very well be the best player on the Pacers.
    I have him in my fantasy pool . I think we're one spot higher than Detroit though.
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to have some trouble staying behind New Jersey and Washington. I watched the first quarter of the Lopez-less Nets against Atlanta and that was as terrible as it can get. Atlanta wasn't even playing well and managed to go up about 15 easily. Unlike yesterday against Washington the Nets aren't coming back in this one (4th quarter now, behind 30+). I didn't watch anymore of the game because choosing between Miami-Boston and this game ...

I didn't see the Nets versus the Wizards, but they somehow managed to win that game. This is going to be tough, we might have to start Bayless or find other creative line-ups at the end of the season to finish below NJ and WW.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    We are going to have some trouble staying behind New Jersey and Washington. I watched the first quarter of the Lopez-less Nets against Atlanta and that was as terrible as it can get. Atlanta wasn't even playing well and managed to go up about 15 easily. Unlike yesterday against Washington the Nets aren't coming back in this one (4th quarter now, behind 30+). I didn't watch anymore of the game because choosing between Miami-Boston and this game ...

I didn't see the Nets versus the Wizards, but they somehow managed to win that game. This is going to be tough, we might have to start Bayless or find other creative line-ups at the end of the season to finish below NJ and WW.
    after watching the Jazz last night, they may be another team to add to that list. They were pathetic. Yes they played the Lakers, but a Lakers team that just played their 3rd game in row.....

Charlotte
    Jazz
    Detroit
    NJ
    Cleveland

could all easily be duking it out with the Raps for best of the worst.

I'm suprised by the number of people thinking Orlando and Atlanta will be fighting for a playoff spot this year.

East:

Miami
    Chicago
    Boston (if healthy)
    NY
    Orlando (with Dwight... without take them off the list)
    Atlanta
    Indy (not willing to put them higher until they prove they can beat those other teams, but moving up is very likely)
    Philly

think there is a huge drop off after that, with maybe Milwaukee kicking at Philliy's heels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    I'm suprised by the number of people thinking Orlando and Atlanta will be fighting for a playoff spot this year.

East:

Miami
    Chicago
    Boston (if healthy)
    NY
    Orlando (with Dwight... without take them off the list)
    Atlanta
    Indy (not willing to put them higher until they prove they can beat those other teams, but moving up is very likely)
    Philly

think there is a huge drop off after that, with maybe Milwaukee kicking at Philliy's heels.
    I wasn't impressed by Atlanta yesterday (even though they won by a landslide). I have also seen part of the Milwaukee game; they have a really good team with some decent bench players. Bogut looks to be healthy, which will be big. They didn't play particularly well, with quite a lot of bad offensive possessions, but this is a team which should make the play-offs when Bogut stays healthy. I don't know which of the other teams will drop out, dare I say Atlanta?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave Berri's site predicts Raptors will be "Terrible":

Power forward will continue to be the team’s strength. The point guard position will be roughly average — a relative strong point for Toronto. Shooting guard, small forward, and centre will all be around a WP48 of zero; there will be a small number of wins produced at SG, but most of these wins will be offset by the losses created by the team’s centres (specifically the team’s least productive player).
    http://wagesofwins.com/2011/12/26/to...l-be-terrible/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information