Henry Abbott predicts Dwane Casey will be win "Coach of the Year"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Abbott predicts Dwane Casey will be win "Coach of the Year"

The NBA season is a few days away, and you know what that means. Predictions. ESPN has been predicting all of the awards before the NBA season begins. I was casually glancing through some of the award categories when I came upon "Coach of the Year". I was about to move on to the next section when I saw Dwane Casey's face in the middle of the pack. Henry Abbott (the "TrueHoop" writer) picked Dwane Casey. Usually, a surprise team wins this award, especially when they have had the biggest turn around in terms of wins (which is why I do not understand all the picks of teams with great records).

Whether you respect Henry Abbott's opinion or not, it has to be intriguing to anyone to see Dwane Casey as a pick for this.

Thoughts and opinions on this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2011/s...ar-predictions
    Last edited by Red and White; Fri Dec 30, 2011, 05:31 PM.

I think he is right on the award but wrong on the year.

Casey wins it in '12-13.

Comment

Demar got a vote for MIP. Not sure who voted for him, because his picture doesn't show up, but his name is listed on the bottom. *If* Casey can get through Bargnani, I think he'd make a better candidate.

I noticed that Kanter didn't get a vote for ROY. Bit surprising since he was a top rated big, one that I can admit that I was hoping we'd get if we got to pick 3rd overall.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Demar got a vote for MIP. Not sure who voted for him, because his picture doesn't show up, but his name is listed on the bottom.
        Larry Coon (ESPN.com) voted for DeMar as MIP

Comment

I was surprised that with all those votes, only three guys received MVP nods.... and the reigning MVP was not one of them.

Comment

There's no way Casey win COY this year. We'd have to actually, you know, be good.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I noticed that Kanter didn't get a vote for ROY. Bit surprising since he was a top rated big, one that I can admit that I was hoping we'd get if we got to pick 3rd overall.
              Kanter may not get enough minutes to balloon his stats while playing behind Jefferson. But in Toronto, he probably would've been force-fed minutes to accelerate his learning curve.

Comment

I think if Dwayne makes this team a top 20 defensive team he wins COY. Although i don't think that would be the best choice.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

It would be a disaster if Casey wins it this year because it would mean the Raptors won't get a top 10 pick.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Casey wins it in '12-13.
                    I agree, good shot at it next year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Casey wins it in '12-13.
                      Agreed.

Next year with Valanciunas, our lottery pick (hopefully a point guard) and a FULL scheduled training camp, the Raptors will probably make a big jump in 2012-2013 paving the way for Dwane Casey to be a top candidate for th "Coach of the Year" award.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                        Agreed.

Next year with Valanciunas, our lottery pick (hopefully a point guard) and a FULL scheduled training camp, the Raptors will probably make a big jump in 2012-2013 paving the way for Dwane Casey to be a top candidate for th "Coach of the Year" award.
                        We aren't drafting a point-guard next draft, there isn't even one projected for the first round.
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                          Agreed.

I think the point guard will be addressed in free agency. It would be great to get Russell Westbrook (extremely unlikely but you never know) but Raymond Felton would be a great signing in my opinion (and it is not because he is on two of my fantasy basketball teams!). He is heading in to the prime years of his career. A 3 year, $30M contract and obtain another draft pick to get Kabongo, that would be nice.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                            We aren't drafting a point-guard next draft, there isn't even one projected for the first round.
                            There aren't many but there are a few. Kendall Marshall, Myck Kabongo, and Marquis Teague are both projected first round draft picks by NBADraft.net and DraftExpress.com.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                              The NBA season is a few days away, and you know what that means. Predictions. ESPN has been predicting all of the awards before the NBA season begins. I was casually glancing through some of the award categories when I came upon "Coach of the Year". I was about to move on to the next section when I saw Dwane Casey's face in the middle of the pack. Henry Abbott (the "TrueHoop" writer) picked Dwane Casey. Usually, a surprise team wins this award, especially when they have had the biggest turn around in terms of wins (which is why I do not understand all the picks of teams with great records).

Whether you respect Henry Abbott's opinion or not, it has to be intriguing to anyone to see Dwane Casey as a pick for this.

Thoughts and opinions on this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2011/s...ar-predictions
                              I could see Casey winning this year, if the raptors go from being the 2nd worst team in the eastern conference to making the playoffs, he will win it for sure. That is something that I can see happening. From what I have seen so far in the preseason in terms of our defensive coverages, there has been HUGE improvement, the offense will come around, every player in the NBA has made it this far because they have focused on their offense their whole lives, everyone in the NBA is a "Scorer", its defense that is harder for these guys to learn. Our team has a lot of offensive talent, its only a matter of time until it comes together. I see the raptors going 2-1 in the first week of the season, and finishing close to .500 for the year, with a the 7th or 8th seed in the East. Go raps Go.
                              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                              X