Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Nowitzki Regarding Andrea: “He’s way more athletic than I ever was”

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nowitzki Regarding Andrea: “He’s way more athletic than I ever was”

    Nice compliments coming from Dirk. I think today was the first time since Andrea came into the league where I actually saw the similarities between him and Nowitzki. And I liked what I saw.

    “He’s way more athletic than I ever was,” Nowitzki said of Bargnani, his fellow 7-footer. “He’s shooting way quicker, he’s got a quick first step. He’s a tough matchup because he’s so quick now off the dribble and he’s shooting the ball really well this year.”
    Source - Click here

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've never seen a 7 footer who could put the ball on the ground, get around his man and go in for a dunk like a shooting guard -- which of course Bargs did today and has done many times this season. I wish they could find some way to harness that ability relentlessly, not just once a game or once a week. Can you imagine Olajuwon, Robinson, Kareem, any of these guys doing that? Not to say Bargs is better than they were, but he's definitely a unique player.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "I've never seen a 7 footer who could put the ball on the ground..."

    I think he has improved more this season (3 mos), psyche as well, than his previous years combined. Wonder where the ceiling is...hmmmm.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    im happy that he has gotten serious about winning.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter rdiaz101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's more mental with Bargs now, I mean he knows what he can and can't do against certian teams and players . He can recognize good match ups and bad ones, i just think when the shots aren't falling then it seems like he goes into hiding in some games, so much so that you may not see him two or three games it carries over.

    One positive that i have seen this year from him is when the shots aren't falling he can turn it up on the other end playing D and rebounding.I hope he hears what Dirk thinks and maybe that will affect his confidence in a positve way that even other great players see that he is turning into the player he is supposed to be.

  6. #6
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This makes me think back to not too long ago when CB4 was just starting to come into his own and after an exciting game against the Spurs Tim Duncan has some be kind words about Bosh's game. It really helped "validate" what we thought we were seeing.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pretty much the same thing Dirk said about Bargnani during his rookie season

    Andrea Bargnani, the No. 1 pick in the draft, had 12 points, including two 3-pointers. The 7-foot Italian has often been compared to Nowitzki because of his size and outside shot.

    "He's a better player than when I was 19 or 20," Nowitzki said of the 21-year-old Bargnani. "He's going to be a heck of a player. He's a little more athletic than I even was back then. He can drive a little better than me."
    After the Raptors lost by a point at home during that division winning season.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think Bargnani is as good an athlete as Dirk was. He doesn't possess the same agility, balance and overall body control/coordination.

    Speed wise + leaping ability + quickness (first step) ... I think Bargnani is highly comparable to Dirk's physical attributes while Dirk was at the top of his game (2003-2008). Bargnani is a better leaper too.

    I thought Dirk was a fair bit quicker than Bargnani over the course of their first couple of seasons. Particularly Dirk's first 2-3 years in the league.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    In terms of physical attributes, I don't think there's anything stopping Bargnani from becoming an elite player on either end of the floor.
    Last edited by Dave; Mon Jan 18th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Now, if Andrea can master that contested fading 2 from the elbows, we can officially call him the greatest shooting big man in the game.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bargs could be more than Dirk - he'll never be the pure scorer (Dirk shoots like a machine), but he is a much better defender already. He could be a Dirk/Duncan combination if he works on his post moves a bit more and keeps working on his handle.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad to see Bargs doing well but let's hold on a minute. Hakeem could do everything Bargs could do (except shoot from as much distance) but better. Plus he cleaned the glass pretty much every game and could post defenders out of their shorts. And he did that for about 15 years straight.

    Bargs can be a hugely successful NBA player and never come close to being as good as Hakeem. So let's just keep a little perspective here.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raúl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Considering how much Andreas' game has develope since Triano took over the team 19 games into last season. Can you imagine the type of player he would be now if Triano was the head coach since Andreas' rookie year?
    Last edited by Raúl; Mon Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.

  13. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Big silent wrote: View Post
    Bargs could be more than Dirk - he'll never be the pure scorer (Dirk shoots like a machine), but he is a much better defender already. He could be a Dirk/Duncan combination if he works on his post moves a bit more and keeps working on his handle.
    I've never seen Bargnani use off window shot.

    I think we might be setting the bar a little too high.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie JibbaJabba34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't Kevin Garnett a 7-footer (I know that he would say he is 6'11" but he it is always said that he's actually 7 feet tall). He was really the first 7 footer that played facing up with a very good jumper and quick first step. In his prime he was as agile as a 6'5" player and quicker than Bargs or Dirk now.

    I think if there is someone to aspire to be more like, KG would be the player I would love to see Bargs blossom into. Great scorer, rebounder, defender, passer, and all in the body of a 7-footer. Yes, Dirk is a scorer, and a great shooter (better than KG ever was), but he can't play D, isn't overly quick or fast and just isn't the same type of player as Garnett even though they are both 7 foot scorers. KG could put the ball on the floor and blow by any center or forward and many guards.

    Still, it's fantastic to hear that Dirk is respecting Bargs' game and giving him high praise.

  15. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
    Isn't Kevin Garnett a 7-footer (I know that he would say he is 6'11" but he it is always said that he's actually 7 feet tall). He was really the first 7 footer that played facing up with a very good jumper and quick first step. In his prime he was as agile as a 6'5" player and quicker than Bargs or Dirk now.
    Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

    I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That blow-by and dunk on Nowitzki is fast becoming a signature move by 'Il Mago'.
    after he first owned Duncan with that move a couple of weeks ago.

    I have a good feeling about the Cleveland game as Shaq can't guard Bosh or Bargs.

  17. #17
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shaq also can't back guys down in a dominate way like he used to so I'm hopeful that Bargnani won't get into foul trouble while guarding the big guy.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie JibbaJabba34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

    I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.
    I remember a Bill Simmons article years ago that talked about KG really being 7'0" but he never wanted to be called a "seven footer" because that made him sound like a slow big man. Here's a link to an article about KG getting miffed about being called a 7-footer:

    http://neswsports.com/2008/09/10/do-...g-sager-video/

    I agree that Bosh and KG are more comparable players, but I would still put KG and Bargs in the same category as they are both within an inch of each other and both naturally play at the power forward position (Bargs is not really a center, he's playing there because CB is playing the PF and it creates better mis-matches on offense to have them both playing together). My point was to make another comparison of a 7 foot player that can face up and put the ball on the floor and KG immediately came to mind.

    Also, KG had a phenomenal season in 2003-04 (again, he is at the end of his career now, Bosh is in his prime now) averaging 24.2 ppg and 13.9 rpg (both higher than CB has ever posted) and was THE guy to get the ball to at the end of the game. Of course now that he's in Boston, there are many other options and he's sacrificed his own numbers for the sake of the team and winning games.

    Either way, KG will be a hall of famer and both Andrea and CB4 would be happy to be compared to him as a player. That's all I was trying to point out.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default .

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

    I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.
    Uh...you really underrate prime KG.

    Bosh is a better scoring PF/C than KG, but there is no comparison in passing and defense. Nobody looks at the Raptors and says, "Shit, I'm going to have CB guarding me?"

    I'm not saying Bosh is a bad defender. In fact, during the Olympics he showed he can be a very good defender. But before we compare him to prime KG, he needs to bring this defensive aspect to every game, make people piss in their pants if he is guarding them.

    If he does that and improves his passing, then we can put him in the same grouping as KG and Duncan, with other historically great PFs.

    Don't get me wrong, I love CB. But there is plenty of room for improvement.

  20. #20
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
    I agree that Bosh and KG are more comparable players, but I would still put KG and Bargs in the same category as they are both within an inch of each other and both naturally play at the power forward position (Bargs is not really a center, he's playing there because CB is playing the PF and it creates better mis-matches on offense to have them both playing together). My point was to make another comparison of a 7 foot player that can face up and put the ball on the floor and KG immediately came to mind.
    Why can't Bargnani be considered a center? He's as big or bigger than most. He has no trouble standing his ground in the paint since he put on more muscle. He doesn't play the post on offense but I don't see why that deems him as not being a center. Some centers in the league can't play face up or post. Maybe we should not give them a position at all?

    Quote JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
    Also, KG had a phenomenal season in 2003-04 (again, he is at the end of his career now, Bosh is in his prime now) averaging 24.2 ppg and 13.9 rpg (both higher than CB has ever posted) and was THE guy to get the ball to at the end of the game. Of course now that he's in Boston, there are many other options and he's sacrificed his own numbers for the sake of the team and winning games.

    Either way, KG will be a hall of famer and both Andrea and CB4 would be happy to be compared to him as a player. That's all I was trying to point out.
    When I said Bosh is a more prolific scorer than KG I was referring to the range of weapons in each man's arsenal. Bosh can score every way imaginable. KG was/is more limited with what he can do with the ball. What he does he does well but more limited in variety, he is. The rebounds bit has nothing to do with offense unless you're talking about offensive rebounds in which case Bosh is averaging the same amount as KG did in '03-'04. KG took three more shots per game in '03-'04 than Bosh has this year and averages for his career two more than Bosh. If you want a clear cut sign of which player really give defenses more fits then look no further than FT shots. Bosh gets to the line a lot more per season than KG. Defenses have a tough time containing Bosh. Its why Bosh is given the ball late in games and KG's doesn't usually see the ball in the clutch...

    Quote Ripp wrote: View Post
    Uh...you really underrate prime KG.

    Bosh is a better scoring PF/C than KG, but there is no comparison in passing and defense. Nobody looks at the Raptors and says, "Shit, I'm going to have CB guarding me?"
    That would be an excellent point if we were talking about anything other than scoring.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jan 18th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •