Height Liars Raptors Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height Liars Raptors Edition

I read this article in Truehoop by Ethan Sherwood Strauss on ESPN.com on the sometimes strange spin players put on the height as stated in their player cards:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...liars-in-shoes

Stumbled across this when I wrote of Dwight Howard as a 6-9 center. Some of you just could not accept the recorded fact that Dwight Howard is six-foot-nine. This, despite a link to evidence of Howard’s barefoot height. I was astounded, perplexed and in search of even more synonyms to describe a state of utter confusion, shock, and befuddlement. We have his pre-draft measurements--his pre-draft measurements! Why do you insist on listening to some sorcerer’s Magic listing?
    Interesting article that includes a NBA all liars team. It reminds me of Julius Erving who was listed as 6'6" but was said to be 6'11" "with hair." The article made me wonder about the actual heights of Raptor players so I did some research on Jonathan Givony of Draft Express web page on pre draft measurements to see what's what. I found no measurements for Calderon, Kleiza, Barbosa, Valanciunas, Amir Johnson and Magloire so the list is incomplete but here the list of actual heights without shoes:

Bargnani – 7’0”
    Derozan- 6’5.5”
    Alabi – 6’11.5”
    Bayless- 6’1.75”
    Butler 6’6.75”
    Carter- 6’0”
    Davis- 6’9”
    Forbes – 6’4.5”
    Gray- 7’0”
    J. Johnson- 6’7”

The biggest liar is Gary Forbes who is listed on his player card as 6'7" followed by James Johnson who adds 2 inches, Derozan and Alabi add an inch and a half. Bargnani and Gray are the honest guys in the group as actual seven footers.
    Last edited by stretch; Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:07 AM.

You don't play Barefoot do you?
    It makes sense their listed height includes shoes.

Where the descrepancy lies is that some players 'shoes' are clearly much thicker than others.

There should be a standard or something set for that, but I am not against them listing the players Height w/ Shoes.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Dec 29, 2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I think Amir Johnson is difficult to get an accurate measurement for. I read that he had grown a couple inches since being drafted straight out of high school so even his pre-draft measurements are likely not correct.

Comment

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
        I think Amir Johnson is difficult to get an accurate measurement for. I read that he had grown a couple inches since being drafted straight out of high school so even his pre-draft measurements are likely not correct.
        Which is the case with alot of these young guys with Freak Athletic bodies. Paul George is a perfect example in having grown 2 inches over the last year or whatever it is.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          You don't play Barefoot do you?
          It makes sense their listed height includes shoes.

Where the descrepancy lies is that some players 'shoes' are clearly much thicker than others.

There should be a standard or something set for that, but I am not against them listing the players Height w/ Shoes.
          When someone ask me "how tall are you?", and I get asked this frequently, I give them the straight goods not how tall I am in platforms, shoes, or whatever. If I wear my construction boots with my orthotics then I could say I am about 2 and a half inches taller than I actually am. Without shoes is the equalizer.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            When someone ask me "how tall are you?", and I get asked this frequently, I give them the straight goods not how tall I am in platforms, shoes, or whatever. If I wear my construction boots with my orthotics then I could say I am about 2 and a half inches taller than I actually am. Without shoes is the equalizer.
            Maybe in everyday life. Personally, when it comes to basketball player's height, I'd go with their in sneaker height. Now if a guy is getting measured in heels, then we've got an issue.... maybe more than one issue actually - right, Dennis?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Maybe in everyday life. Personally, when it comes to basketball player's height, I'd go with their in sneaker height. Now if a guy is getting measured in heels, then we've got an issue.... maybe more than one issue actually - right, Dennis?
              Bahaha Well said Matt.

Comment

I agree with stretch. Give me the height without shoes. I can extrapolate their height with shoes just fine. As mentioned above, Forbes is listed at 6’4.5” without shoes and at 6’7” in shoes. Come on!

Comment

this isn't raptors related but there's no way paul george is 6'10
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I've always wondered how tall some of these guys really are. I just don't buy some of their heights, especially when you meet them in person (in 'regular' shoes).

Demar for instance, I don't believe is 6'7". Probably closer to 6'5"/6" in sneakers

But then again I don't sit there and measure them, as that would likely make them very uncomfortable

Comment

I can remember standing in the Tower of London museum next to a big suit of armour from eons ago. The plaque next to it said it was made for a giant of a knight who stood six feet ten inches tall. I was standing right next to it and the peak of the helmet was no more than six feet seven inches from the floor meaning that in order for somebody to get into that sardine can, he could not have been bigger than 6'4" or 6'5" tops. So there is a tradition or "history" of height exaggeration going way back.

Maybe that suit would be the perfect prop for DeRozan next dunk contest.......
                      Last edited by stretch; Fri Dec 30, 2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Amir is 6'10 maybe and thats with shoes

Comment

I've noticed this a long time ago and found the only reliable height references to lie with draft express's copies of the official pre-draft measurements (which do include height with and without shoes) - here are some trends I've noticed:

- International (read non-college) player heights are very consistently accurate as FIBA and other international bodies don't fuck around with measurements - example Pau Gasol is 7 very noticeably 7'1 + in shoes although he's considered 7 even because that's what his FIBA measurements were (hard to exaggerate once public)

- Most shoes add between 1 and 1.5 inches height.

- The worst offenders are often prospects who dread the tweener/undersized label

- when guys claim to grow post-draft take it with a grain of salt and approx half the claimed number (Amir, George, etc)

Also worth mentioning is that the measurements are completely optional - guys like JV who were busy overseas or players who might consider it in their best interest to not be measured don't have to. Also the public measurements have only been around for less than a decade so 30+ y/o guys are likely missing from it.
                          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                          X