The evolution of the Raptors PG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maleko wrote: View Post
    I agree on his attitude but it's true of a Westbrook as well. DRose is more an exception but he won't be going anywhere and solid PGs are rare.
    I think you have different, but both very valid, concerns with Westbrook and Williams. Any time you are looking at tying up max money (and that is what it would take to get either) in a player that is questionable as a max player you get nervous. What I mean by questionable is consider Kobe, LeBron, Howard they are all max players no doubt and then a group like DWill, Westbrook, Bosh, Gay are close but not quite yet are paid that way.

Rose isn't going anywhere after signing the 5 year, $94M contract.

Comment

Stoudamire> Calderon > A.Will

Beside the PG, Raptors has no star under Stoudamire era, its a very difficult job for a PG to carry a team, no matter u r Mr. Nash or John Stockton. I vote for stoudamire.

Calderon, is a good PG and if he could get more PPG, I will put him on front.

A.Will, good player but got too many good players around him, unable to see how good he was!

Comment

I find it hard to pick between Stoudamire and Calderon.

On a bad team, Stoudamire had the ability to carry the team on his back and will the team to win. On a good team, I think Calderon is the superior distributor to get all 5 players on the court going. As a player, I'd probably take Stoudamire. As a PG, I think I'd take Calderon, because I want a PG who has a pass-first mentality and the ability to make his teammates better.

I voted for Calderon.

Comment

I voted for Mike James :P

Hands down, Calderon is the best PG (not necessarily the best player on the list) this team has ever had. The all-time assist numbers speak loudly compared to the 2nd and 3rd place totals.

As for Stoudamire, although he scored a lot of points in Toronto, he was a very inefficient shooter barely averaging 42%

Comment

I agree on his attitude but it's true of a Westbrook as well. DRose is more an exception but he won't be going anywhere and solid PGs are rare.
            Maybe exceptional PGs are rare, but solid ones? I think the league is full of solid and up-and-coming pgs.

Comment

Mike James almost got my vote for this...

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                Maybe exceptional PGs are rare, but solid ones? I think the league is full of solid and up-and-coming pgs.
                Steph Curry isn't going anywhere soon, Rubio is stuck in Minny, Conley is solid, Felton is good, Devin Harris is overpaid, sure there are some, but not available. DJ Augaustin is not a solution, and Collison is debateable even if he was attainable.

Raptors need a Westbrook/Curry/etc not a Harris etc.

Comment

A star point-guard is good, but thinking about it the Raps really don't need one. Calderon is. when healthy. easily a top 10 point guard in the league. He has a solid shooting percentage (the best of the listed Raptor pg's) can run an offense, ridiculous A/TO ratio, and is extremely competitive. People forget how good Calderon/ford/jack/bayless is. He needs a coach and players he can work with. And Bayless may never be a star, but he's nearly as good as JJ and has the potential to be better.

However, so far this season, Calderon, Bargnani, Derozan, Bayless are the only Raptors putting up decent numbers. I'm using Hollinger's statistics to base this off of. PG really isn't our issue and it really hasn't been an issue since James. When only four out of your ten players are playing well, then you will struggle.
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Mike James was a cost cut move. They brought him in to rid themselves of Skip, who is missing from the list I might add. Mike James is a prime example of big numbers on a crappy team. He was a total ball hog padding stats on a contract year.

I voted Alvin Williams by the way. He was a solid PG on offense but playing with Vince Carter he deferred a lot. He was tough as nails and brought defense, intensity and leadership.

Calderon hasn't had to share the ball with a dominate guard. He played a little with TJ Ford but that's it. Also, he doesn't bring the defense. He's #2 on my list.

Comment

I voted Alvin Williams. Even though the stats don't back me up, the thing I saw with him is something the Raptors haven't had in a long time with one of their starters - and that's a true leader. Jose looks like at times that he can be a leader, but he disappoints a lot of the time as well. If going simply by stats then its Jose by a mile, but I think Alvin had the biggest impact on the team when he was their PG.

Comment

we'll see what bayless can do and if he doesn't improve this season trade him during the off season in a package for a late st rounder

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          we'll see what bayless can do and if he doesn't improve this season trade him during the off season in a package for a late st rounder
                          Because, trading a lottery pick point-guard for a late first rounder in a draft with 0 NBA ready point guards is smart thinking?

Look, Bayless was a lottery pick and picked before point-guards like DJ Augustin. The difference being DJ got to be the default starter on a penny pinching bobcats team, while Bayless has always played behind star point-guards.

people forget, how good he was when Jose went down and I see no reason why he can't be better than young point guards like lowry and DJ, he just needs the playing time.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                            Because, trading a lottery pick point-guard for a late first rounder in a draft with 0 NBA ready point guards is smart thinking?

Look, Bayless was a lottery pick and picked before point-guards like DJ Augustin. The difference being DJ got to be the default starter on a penny pinching bobcats team, while Bayless has always played behind star point-guards.

people forget, how good he was when Jose went down and I see no reason why he can't be better than young point guards like lowry and DJ, he just needs the playing time.
                            Bayless had good scoring numbers when Jose went down last year, but he was anything but a good quarterback. Bayless was just a shooting guard who happened to bring up the ball. And the fact that Bayless was a lottery pick really doesn't mean much 4 years later. There are plenty of lottery picks every year that, for whatever reason, just don't live up to expectations.

You can see from watching Bayless play that he's got some skills, but no skills that would make him a good point guard. If Bayless is to have a long NBA career, it'll be in the mold of a Jason Terry (instead of a Jason Kidd).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Bayless had good scoring numbers when Jose went down last year, but he was anything but a good quarterback. Bayless was just a shooting guard who happened to bring up the ball. And the fact that Bayless was a lottery pick really doesn't mean much 4 years later. There are plenty of lottery picks every year that, for whatever reason, just don't live up to expectations.
                              You can see from watching Bayless play that he's got some skills, but no skills that would make him a good point guard. If Bayless is to have a long NBA career, it'll be in the mold of a Jason Terry (instead of a Jason Kidd).
                              Exactly...Kwame Brown, Michael Olowakandi, Sam Bowie, ...............

Comment

Steph Curry isn't going anywhere soon, Rubio is stuck in Minny, Conley is solid, Felton is good, Devin Harris is overpaid, sure there are some, but not available. DJ Augaustin is not a solution, and Collison is debateable even if he was attainable.

Raptors need a Westbrook/Curry/etc not a Harris etc.
                                So when you said said "rare", you were referring to the availability (for trading) of pgs, rather than the existence of pgs (incl. Rose, Paul Wall Irving.... to the list)....makes sense.

I was referring more to the latter, also, in an earlier post within this thread. Given that we are not trying to build a fantasy basketball team, I wonder if focusing on a front court and a strong wing scorer helps us more than fetishising a quick young pg, like Westbrook who stock, btw is dropping faster than the European economy these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X