Put Tom to work! RR Resident Statophile Tom Liston Season-long Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statophile, Volume 23

How much to the Raptors miss Bargnani? Should Forbes play more minutes? Is DeRozan driving to the basket enough?
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/2012/01/1...s-not-driving/
    http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Hard to show probably since so few mins but considering your recent statophile, how do the numbers from 2yrs ago Sonny Weems compare to Forbes? Really wondering if the new found love for Forbes' game is from the same roots as the love of Sonny's game in 09-10 that made some fans thinking he should be in over DD.

Comment

I'm curious if you could break down Kleiza's effectiveness at the 4 vs. at the 3. I'm not sure if there is enough data available but I liked the look of the line up against Utah with him out there with Bargs and James Johnson.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Can we compare team rebounding with and without Bargnani on the floor? Team rebounding vs opponent team with or without Bargnani.

Comment

irgigi wrote: View Post
            Can we compare team rebounding with and without Bargnani on the floor? Team rebounding vs opponent team with or without Bargnani.
            The team is a better rebounding club with him off.
            Sure: see here

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
              I'm curious if you could break down Kleiza's effectiveness at the 4 vs. at the 3. I'm not sure if there is enough data available but I liked the look of the line up against Utah with him out there with Bargs and James Johnson.
              Not enough data yet. However.... I really like him at the 3, playing "like" a 4. Why can this work? It can with Bargnani (yes, who's now injured) as Andrea has some "3" in him on offense, regardless of what he's "pegged" at. That is, he doesn't post often - nor does Amir Johnson (largely pick and roll), so Kleiza is able to post up a smallish 3.

Comment

Liston wrote: View Post
                Not enough data yet. However.... I really like him at the 3, playing "like" a 4. Why can this work? It can with Bargnani (yes, who's now injured) as Andrea has some "3" in him on offense, regardless of what he's "pegged" at. That is, he doesn't post often - nor does Amir Johnson (largely pick and roll), so Kleiza is able to post up a smallish 3.
                I definitely agree, that is how he should be used offensively and I think it is what BC intended for him when he was brought in. I'm more concerned about the defensive end since Kleiza is not as fast as a James Johnson and may have issues with slasher types at the 3. So maybe this is another question you could answer: how does Linas Kleiza's D compare to other three's around the league. In particular vs. James Johnson and Butler.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Tom, have you had a chance to read this article? A recent study claims that teams who shoot earlier in the shot clock, have better success rates.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ba-study-finds

Any thoughts?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Tom, have you had a chance to read this article? A recent study claims that teams who shoot earlier in the shot clock, have better success rates.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ba-study-finds

Any thoughts?
                    It's true - I've been looking at a lot of data for Bargnani and DeRozan, for example, on this very topic.
                    Read it quickly, one obvious event that skews the data is fast break points (early in the clock, usually successful).

Comment

Statophile 25 | Potentially Paint Problems, DeRozan Under Duress, Lovin’ Lin

New post here: Statophile 25 | Potentially Paint Problems, DeRozan Under Duress, Lovin’ Lin

Comment

Hey Tom, I started working on a comparison between James Johnson and Josh Smith after seeing them both among Bigs on the Top Shot Blockers in the NBA, but then figured perhaps you might be able to provide a more thorough breakdown, as to what they bring to the team.
                        I really do see James Johnson turning into a Legit Starting 3 in the League, and see Josh Smith as his Potential 'Ceiling'.
                        What do you think? Am I crazy?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Hey Tom, I started working on a comparison between James Johnson and Josh Smith after seeing them both among Bigs on the Top Shot Blockers in the NBA, but then figured perhaps you might be able to provide a more thorough breakdown, as to what they bring to the team.
                          I really do see James Johnson turning into a Legit Starting 3 in the League, and see Josh Smith as his Potential 'Ceiling'.
                          What do you think? Am I crazy?
                          Great timing. Someone just emailed me on something similar. Look for it Thursday.
                          Cheers, Tom

Comment

Statophile 26 | “Oh My Jonas” and “In Defense of the Ninja”

Latest: Statophile 26 | “Oh My Jonas” and “In Defense of the Ninja”

Comment

hey tom...at what point do you think that 'drawing charges' will become an official defensive stat? IMO, it's as valuable (if not moreso) than any other defensive stat, since it's an immediate change of possession, but there's no official 'credit' (from a defensive/turnover standpoint) to a player who draws a charge.

i've been thinking how the league has changed over the last few years to really favour a defender in these situations. it used to be considered a 50/50 call, but it seems that unless the defender is either in the circle or moving egregiously, it's a call that goes in favour of the D (the quality of the flop is key). i remember a charge bonner took wed night in which he jumped in front of the circle into the path of the driver, then half-doubled over & put his arms out in front of him, then flopped. 5 years ago, 3 years ago, that's a block, and IMO, should still be one. but it's not now.

since drawing charges seems to be such an integral part of teams' defensive approach, i simply assume that we'll see it become an official stat in the near future, and treated in the same vein as a block or steal...but weighted higher, since it's also putting your opponent into foul trouble (and getting your team closer to the bonus). i think having it counted as an official stat would go a long way in improving some of the overal stats (like PER) used today (which generally do a poor job of quntifying defensive impact), and would help give a better overall representation of a player's value.
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                                hey tom...at what point do you think that 'drawing charges' will become an official defensive stat? IMO, it's as valuable (if not moreso) than any other defensive stat, since it's an immediate change of possession, but there's no official 'credit' (from a defensive/turnover standpoint) to a player who draws a charge.

i've been thinking how the league has changed over the last few years to really favour a defender in these situations. it used to be considered a 50/50 call, but it seems that unless the defender is either in the circle or moving egregiously, it's a call that goes in favour of the D (the quality of the flop is key). i remember a charge bonner took wed night in which he jumped in front of the circle into the path of the driver, then half-doubled over & put his arms out in front of him, then flopped. 5 years ago, 3 years ago, that's a block, and IMO, should still be one. but it's not now.

since drawing charges seems to be such an integral part of teams' defensive approach, i simply assume that we'll see it become an official stat in the near future, and treated in the same vein as a block or steal...but weighted higher, since it's also putting your opponent into foul trouble (and getting your team closer to the bonus). i think having it counted as an official stat would go a long way in improving some of the overal stats (like PER) used today (which generally do a poor job of quntifying defensive impact), and would help give a better overall representation of a player's value.
                                Do you suggest distinguishing between charges, and other offensive fouls in general?

Comment

Working...
                                X