No announcement yet.

Who brought the downer to the party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the raptors are crap enough for a high draft pick, the crying about the players is going to be unparalleled.. there's a reason the bargnani thread is as ridiculously long as it is..

the same people who are hoping for a futile season and a high draft pick are the same people who will be crying for bargs/derozan/jose's head impaled on a stick when they're a losing team towards the end of the season.

i'd rather have mediocre fringe playoff team at best that at least tries to win games than a lost season and a bunch of whiny little tossers flooding the board with their anti-whoever threads when those same players gave them exactly what they wanted

Comment

We should trade all our players for picks and draft a whole new team becase every player in the draft is better than what we have now

Newer is better

Comment

This is about the time when Tim would be saying that "If we make the playoffs this year, we are sentencing ourselves to "years of mediocrity". Or something along those lines anyway.
        Which I don't entirely disagree with.

I've been the one arguing in favour of showing these youngs guys that Toronto is serious about winning, and we aren't just throwing years of their careers away to get draft picks.
        As I said in the Second post on this thread, Making the Playoffs would be amazing for these guys and I'd welcome the new experience for them.

However, I do also maintain that VERY few teams have been turned around by someone who was drafted 10-15.
        Even fewer have been turned around by someone who was picked 16-20.

We need as much High End talent as possible and making the Playoffs will only delay that, when a once-in-a-lifetime draft is begging us to take advantage of it.

Comment

Personally, I just want to see Coach Casey's overall coaching record improve, he deserves it.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
            Personally, I just want to see Coach Casey's overall coaching record improve, he deserves it.
            agreed... considering he barely had a training camp and preseason, the improvement on the defensive end is mind boggling...

or triano was a scrub

one of the two..

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
              I think i'd rather continue adding talent through the draft. I love the organic growth that has happened the last 3 years, and would love to see that continue. But if we make the playoffs i'm ok with that too (it would be an affirmation of the process IMO). A part of me wants to let this group get some playoff experience, play in some big games, and then get hungry for getting to the next level. Let the new kids coming in feed off of that and let our current roster turn into the mentors for the next group. Either way, te culture is changing and i'm excited to see where it will take us.

On another note, if we do make the playoffs this season, don't look for Colangelo to change his team philosophy and start over paying washed up veterans. After all it would be that philosophy that got us there. Sustained growth is the key, and he knows it. His job depends on it.
              This is my worry as well. But the better part of me thinks Colangelo is 100% committed to the rebuild. And to a team like this current Raptors team, a playoff run is comparable to the finals. These guys havent been to the playoffs in 4 years. Demar has never been to the playoffs. Imagine what it will do to their psyche if they reach the playoffs?? Imagine how crazy it will be in Toronto, with all the major sports teams not reaching the post-season in the past couple of years?? I think it will instill in them that "Hey, we're actually good enough to get to the playoffs". I bet you Demar and Andrea will work doubly hard next season just to get that feeling again.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                agreed... considering he barely had a training camp and preseason, the improvement on the defensive end is mind boggling...

or triano was a scrub

one of the two..
                hahahaha

i think Triano was a good coach, the problem was, he was BCs puppet coz he had no rep to back him up in the NBA.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  if the raptors are crap enough for a high draft pick, the crying about the players is going to be unparalleled.. there's a reason the bargnani thread is as ridiculously long as it is..

the same people who are hoping for a futile season and a high draft pick are the same people who will be crying for bargs/derozan/jose's head impaled on a stick when they're a losing team towards the end of the season.

i'd rather have mediocre fringe playoff team at best that at least tries to win games than a lost season and a bunch of whiny little tossers flooding the board with their anti-whoever threads when those same players gave them exactly what they wanted
                  hahahahha welcome back Heinz!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    That would be 12-48 the rest of the way.

But I agree with your point. We'll win more than 15 games this year.
                    Wow, super brainfart on my math skills there! Lol
                    I'm sticking with my original 19 wins for now but I may have to change my mind by February.
                    Then again after tonights Nets game I believe 10 of the next 14(Nilanka, right?) are on the road which may make or break the playoff chances.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      These are the kinds of polls that just kill me. High lottery pick or make the playoffs? Why can't we have both? So lets say we make the playoffs. First assumption there cemented. We'd clearly be a 7-8 seed at best, so our pick would still be in the mid-high teens. It is supposedly a really deep draft. There is a real possibility someone BC is targeting could be available there. Lets say he wants someone higher. We clearly don't need to keep Ed, Amir, Bargs and JV on the roster. Assuming Ed is the most enticing trade chip, we could send him and our pick, or Bayless and our pick, or some random deal with any number of teams. My point is, things are not set in stone, and winning does not necessarily screw your chances to rebuild. I hate to drink the Colangelo koolaid but he keeps using the word flexibility, and he may have enough of it to make the deals he needs to make, or at least some of them, regardless of how the season plays out with Ws and Ls.
                      I think if we make the playoffs, which I think is still pretty unlikely, we should still be able to fill or start filling the holes in our roster through draft/trades. So yeah, don't be upset because thing a) or b) happens, be upset if BC can't make the moves he needs to even if we don't finish in the worst 5 teams.
                      I don't think the 17th pick (just a guess as to what where the Raptors would be choosing if they make the playoffs) + Ed Davis is going to move you into the top 5 of this draft unless Davis turns it on right now and has a big season. It might move you into the top 10 but I'm pretty sure the it will take a lot to pry teams with picks 1 through 5 out of their positions considering some of the talent that will be there.

I've been beyond impressed with the team so far - our record could even be 4-2 if they different pee on the rug in Orlando - but I have to remind myself that it's still very early. The real test will be when they're creeping up on the 40 game mark and how they are playing then. It's relatively quite easy to play well for a stretch of games compared to a full season, and Casey's job will get tougher as he will try to keep an overall young and inexperienced team focused as the season moves along.

Looking at it completely rationally, the high lottery pick would be a much better option. They still need to add a franchise type of guy if they really want to be true challengers in the East. The Raptors are not beating the Heat or Bulls over the next five years if their best player is Bargnani, even if he does keep up this pace. I don't have a lot of faith in the "they'll find that player in free agency!" camp either, so picking the top five is giving you the best shot at finding that guy.

Comment

I voted high draft pick. The team is overachieving but needs more talent if they're going to be a contender for years to come.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                          I don't think the 17th pick (just a guess as to what where the Raptors would be choosing if they make the playoffs) + Ed Davis is going to move you into the top 5 of this draft unless Davis turns it on right now and has a big season. It might move you into the top 10 but I'm pretty sure the it will take a lot to pry teams with picks 1 through 5 out of their positions considering some of the talent that will be there.

I've been beyond impressed with the team so far - our record could even be 4-2 if they different pee on the rug in Orlando - but I have to remind myself that it's still very early. The real test will be when they're creeping up on the 40 game mark and how they are playing then. It's relatively quite easy to play well for a stretch of games compared to a full season, and Casey's job will get tougher as he will try to keep an overall young and inexperienced team focused as the season moves along.

Looking at it completely rationally, the high lottery pick would be a much better option. They still need to add a franchise type of guy if they really want to be true challengers in the East. The Raptors are not beating the Heat or Bulls over the next five years if their best player is Bargnani, even if he does keep up this pace. I don't have a lot of faith in the "they'll find that player in free agency!" camp either, so picking the top five is giving you the best shot at finding that guy.
                          I would think the pick to be 15, but whatever.

I agree it wouldn't do top 5 but it might do 6-10. If Bargnani is for real (and that is still a big if in my books) then there is no need for a top 5 pick. Of the highest ranked players, all but one are PF's or C's (Drummond, Davis, Sullinger, Perry Jones, Robinson, with Barnes being only wing). 6-10 could fetch you possibly Barnes or MKG, Quincy Miller*, Terrence Ross, or Jeremy Lamb.

*I am still high on Quincy Miller. If you look at the 5 games before Perry Jones III returned, he had incredible stats.... and he is a freshman! There was no struggle for him adjusting to the next level while returning from knee injury. Since PJ3 has come back, Quincy has been a 2nd option. He has shown the ability to create for himself, for others, shoot from deep, and rebound. I have not seen enough Baylor games to make a comment on his defense. The only concern I have about him is that knee.

Comment

I vote for playoffs if possible as long as BC does not make a short term trade that would hurt the team in the long run. We need respect in this league and a perception that we are on the right path to entice free agent players is important. You can see in the short time Casey has been with the team the respect that he gets from other coaches & players, and from our players. Playing hard on both ends of the court must continue but Casey must walk a fine line in terms of minutes and production. I really like his approach with Bargnani telling him he is the man and raising the bar for him as an overall team player. I have really seen a change with emotion from Bargnani and I hope his confidence continues. He is playing with fire and with focus. I think Bargnani realizes that this year is crucial for him. He has a new coach and he needs to improve mentally and be consistant or his time as a Raptor would contimue to be a disappointing footnote in history.

The first year a team makes the playoffs as we did against New York ( way back when) gives the players a taste of how different the atmosphere and games are. It would do wonders for the growth of the players and the team to make it. That being said if they fall short, the experieince of playing meaningful games late in the season is also a positive experieince. I always liked Bosh but losing him has enabled BC to properly manage instead of trying to find a short term fix, to make Bosh happy.

Stay the course, play hard, gain respect and the draft will take care of itself.

Comment

Yo I keep saying this: LOOK AT THE PACERS!. They sucked for a while around 500 usually finishing 9th in the east, but look at their history:

Pick 15 Kawhi Leonard - Turned into George Hill
                              Pick 10 Paul George
                              Pick 13 Tyler Hansborough
                              Pick 17 Danny Granger
                              Pick 17 Roy Hibbert

Now they got a lotta good youngens and signed David West. Contender? Not quite. But close.

Dont forget! We still got JV coming. There's your high pick!
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                This is about the time when Tim would be saying that "If we make the playoffs this year, we are sentencing ourselves to "years of mediocrity". Or something along those lines anyway.
                                Which I don't entirely disagree with.

I've been the one arguing in favour of showing these youngs guys that Toronto is serious about winning, and we aren't just throwing years of their careers away to get draft picks.
                                As I said in the Second post on this thread, Making the Playoffs would be amazing for these guys and I'd welcome the new experience for them.

However, I do also maintain that VERY few teams have been turned around by someone who was drafted 10-15.
                                Even fewer have been turned around by someone who was picked 16-20.

We need as much High End talent as possible and making the Playoffs will only delay that, when a once-in-a-lifetime draft is begging us to take advantage of it.
                                I definitely agree that this team is in need of high level/end talent, but IMO, it doesnt necessarily have to come from the draft. I certainly understand that a high pick can net you a potential franchise player, but even if this team does not make the playoffs this year, the best they can probably do is a 6th pick, or anywhere between 6 and 10. I guess my inclination is a bit clouded by my incomplete knowledge of the 2012 draft class, but still, id rather sign or trade for a high level talent than pin my hopes on the draft.

If this team makes the playoffs, it will bring more attention to this team and the city of Toronto, which hopefully, will also get the attention of big name players. With BCs cap space and a winning team, i really dont know how an A-level player can turn down a max offer.

My concern with potentially drafting a franchise player is well, potential. And for that player to develop into a franchise player, 2-3 seasons would probably be a conservative estimate. And by that time, Demar is at the end of his contract, Bargnani and Amir will have one year left and so the rebuilding begins again.

The Thunder (since most people are thinking of patterning the Raps to this team) pretty much got the luck of the draw, IMO. Even when they drafted Durant, it took him 3 years to get to the playoffs, and having been lucky enough to draft, IMO, a potential franchise player in Russell Westbrook (which i would like the Raps to get as FA next season) surely helped. And again got lucky enough to draft Harden. Sure they reached the western conference finals (which i think was a fluke coz if Melo was still in Denver and Gay was healthy with Memphis.....) but now that Westbrook is going to become a free agent and Harden next season, whats going to prevent them from walking away to get bigger money and to a team where they'll be the superstar? Can Durant, as the franchise player, take this team to the Finals? I highly doubt it.

Im not saying they should go on win mode now, but rather on a win sooner than later mode.
                                Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Jan 6, 2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X