Who brought the downer to the party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take it

Given the depth of the draft, I'd be cool with creeping into the playoffs and would not regard it as something that upsets "the plan" whatever that may be. A mid first-round pick will still bring the Raptors a quality player to insert into the rotation for 2012-13. Also, given the question of who the clear number one is in the 2012, there may be enough movement on draft day to make that type of trade day swap that would help the Raptors move into position for the player they want. Entirely speculative, I admit.

A playoff appearance is likely to be a slaying at the hands of the Bulls or Heat, but I think the experience would be valuable and would give the young Raptors the audition on the playoff stage that would enhance their ability to make their presence felt in the 2012-13 regular season and playoffs.

Comment

I'll always choose playoffs. That does wonders for the kids confidence and character. I believe in BC that he can surround this group with better talent in the offseason, high draft pick or not.
      Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

I rather see JV come into this organization when they have a winning atmosphere, it will make it that much easier for him to adjust from his current team which are accustomed to winning already. Making the playoffs is really good for JV cause then he will be ready to spank teams on a night in night out basis.
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Playoffs. This team need confidence more than it anything and we already have a rookie coming over who is going to see big minutes.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            What would I rather?

I would rather make the playoffs - on these conditions:

1) Bargnani's play is legit. If it is, I hate to tell you Bargs-haters, we have our franchise player.
            2) DD continues to develop. He appears to have range. Now get stronger to help him finish and play better D.

With JV appearing to be the C of the future, the Raps have no need for a high draft pick in this draft class when the top players are PF's and C's. The draft class is very deep so they will be able to address areas of need with a pick at 15 (wing and back up/future PG).

Also they have cap space for free agency. If the Raps make the playoffs given their roster, how much credibility does it give them in pursuing a top-tier free agent.

They also have cap space for trades.

While I selected playoffs, I won't be horribly disappointed with a high lotto pick. I think the worst case scenario is just missing the playoffs and picking 12-14. There are some really bad east teams right now.
            Well said, I agree. There is more than one way to develop, growing from within like we are doing, add to that JV, and a nice free agent piece next year, to a team that is able to make the playoffs as is, and we might have a pretty good team on our hands. Colangelo already said that this draft is so deep that we will be getting a good player even if our pick is later in the draft. I think Colangelo and the raptors scouting team are very good at evaluating talent (derozan, Davis, JV) and I have faith that we will get a good player no matter where we pick.

Love the improvement defensively, love the play of DD and Bargnani, the crazy thing about that duo is: They are still improving. That is right this is not their ceiling, if they can continue to play defense, we know we can score, add JV, a 1st round pick, and a nice free agent piece, and we are good to go!
            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I still believe that Bargs and Derozan are complimentary pieces that need a #1 option. Yeah, the draft is deep, but it ain't that deep. It seems highly unlikely you're going to find a franchise changer at 16 and below. I fear 2006-2007 all over again...

Having said that, things are different this time. In 2006-2007, they won with veterans and had little youth or capspace to work with. Now, even if they play themselves out of the lottery this year, they have a highly touted prospect in Valanciunas coming next season, should get a solid player in the draft, have assets to deal (Barbosa, Davis, Amir) and should have some room next year to upgrade another position.

Of course, it's 6 games in and they have a brutal stretch coming up. This will be a terrific topic if they are .500 at the trade deadline, though....

Comment

I don't think we're gonna get that franchise type player this season in the draft, but we will get a very good player nonetheless. I'm really hoping for Kidd-Gilchrist. He would be a perfect fit here. At least we're not paying anyone franchise type money.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  I don't think we're gonna get that franchise type player this season in the draft, but we will get a very good player nonetheless. I'm really hoping for Kidd-Gilchrist. He would be a perfect fit here. At least we're not paying anyone franchise type money.
                  If Bargnani continues playing like he is on offense and continues to put the effort in on defense, we have our franchise type player.

He'll never be a rebounding force, but if he ensures his man doesn't get the ball his teammates can expect a little inflation in their rebounding stats.

Comment

For me, MKG (Gilchrist) is a better option for the Raptors. But I think his draft stock is going to keep climbing and he might be harder to snag than Barnes when all is said and done.

Comment

i want to see competitive ball everytime i turn on a raps game.... the outcome at the end of the season be damned...

if they're a draft team, but lose alot of close games i'd be happy... if they fight for the 8th seed, i'll be happy...

what i dont have interest in is cheering for my team to fail for the sake of a potential future player.

that's loser talk.

that's like going to a club, ignoring the middle-aged hotties, and going with a barely 19 fattie... at least you got the plumper who at the very least can work a decent blowie but you're going to have to spend time you're not really sure you care to commit to trying to get her to lose the weight and get fit... with the hopes that IF she does manage to get fit, she'll stay with you because you were there for her in her blubbery days..

i'd rather enjoy my night

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        i want to see competitive ball everytime i turn on a raps game.... the outcome at the end of the season be damned...

if they're a draft team, but lose alot of close games i'd be happy... if they fight for the 8th seed, i'll be happy...

what i dont have interest in is cheering for my team to fail for the sake of a potential future player.

that's loser talk.

that's like going to a club, ignoring the middle-aged hotties, and going with a barely 19 fattie... at least you got the plumper who at the very least can work a decent blowie but you're going to have to spend time you're not really sure you care to commit to trying to get her to lose the weight and get fit... with the hopes that IF she does manage to get fit, she'll stay with you because you were there for her in her blubbery days..

i'd rather enjoy my night
                        I've missed you, Heinz.

Comment

lol... i was never really gone... site got blocked by my work, and i'm moving in a few weeks.. so no time for the net at night lately... so havent been able to post

BUT, somehow it's unblocked at work again...

Comment

My vote is for getting a high draft pick at the expense of making the playoffs. It's great that this year is being used for developing players and a new culture of playing hard on defense, but at the end of the day it's clear that the current roster isn't nearly good enough to contend. They could play perfectly on both ends of the court and still not be able to beat the Chicago's, Miami's, Oklahoma's of the league in a 7 game series.

An upgrade in talent is required along with the the development of players and change of culture. I'ts a deep draft but if the difference is between a franchise player and a good player I'll take the franchise player...and suffer through another season of good effort and losing.

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                              For me, MKG (Gilchrist) is a better option for the Raptors. But I think his draft stock is going to keep climbing and he might be harder to snag than Barnes when all is said and done.
                              agree completely. the only thing barnes has on MK-G (IMO) is a more polished offensive game...but all the intagibles go to MK-G, and by all accounts, his shooting has improved quite a bit, and should continue to do so. he's getting raves about his bball IQ, intensity/effort, defensive-awareness, rebounding, etc. me likey...
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Smartest thing ever posted on this site by anyone.

I have no doubt Davis will be a quality player, however I feel people have overrated him just a bit. No one has agreed with me when I said this because they feel we have to keep Davis but we can end up with a top 5 pick if we bundle our pick with him and we would get a much better player then Davis.

Comment

Working...
                                X