Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Raptors will not have a top 5 pick

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

8 - 9 pick and we choose Miller who ends up being a franchise player.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Expecting other bad teams to not improve is maybe being a bit pessimistic. How many of those bad teams will feel the need to do something trade wise to bring in a player who can help them with a playoff push? In other words, which teams have GM's that need to see their teams get better by seasons end? I would expect New Jersey, Cleveland and Detroit to make some moves, trading future picks for instance, for results now. It's what GMs do. I think TO holds the course and makes no moves to improve radically unless something crazy good comes along. In which case, who cares about the pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    At the end of the month, the Raps will be 11-8, I predict.
    My guess is 7-12 through January, that's 8-14 overall. From there it gets messy...

Post Thanks / Like

The sample size is definitely much too small to assume the team will continue to play .500 or even .400 basketball.

It's impossible to not be excited about the improvements the team has shown thus far, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves We almost beat the lowly world champs and a Magic team that is teetering on the brink. 2 wins over last years worst team in the league and a win over the stat-less Knicks (who also lost to the bobcats last night) is hardly earth-shattering.

In the end, I think the raps improvements will prevent them from being bottom feeders, but won't come close to endangering their lotto pick.

My guess; they pick from 5-8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote AJ360 wrote: View Post
    The sample size is definitely much too small to assume the team will continue to play .500 or even .400 basketball.

It's impossible to not be excited about the improvements the team has shown thus far, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves We almost beat the lowly world champs and a Magic team that is teetering on the brink. 2 wins over last years worst team in the league and a win over the stat-less Knicks (who also lost to the bobcats last night) is hardly earth-shattering.

In the end, I think the raps improvements will prevent them from being bottom feeders, but won't come close to endangering their lotto pick.

My guess; they pick from 5-8
    Amar'e did play last night though.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The lottery balls haven't been too kind to us recently, so maybe this year, regardless of our record, we will get lucky and hit the jackpot.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Also, I think our draft pick will be in the range of 12-16 ... few spots out of the playoffs, or just sneak in if other teams like Milwaukee and New Jersey pull themselves out of the race.
    That really means we just have to outlast the 76ers, Knicks, or Indiana down the stretch ... longshot, but not impossible.

12-16 range picks could produce a rotation player like Terrence Jones, Kabongo, Kidd-Glichrist (my favourite).
    I think that there is very little chance that Kidd-Gilchrist lasts past the first 7-8 picks. I don't want any part of Terrence Jones... he seems like a head case and plays the same position as Davis and Johnson. Kabongo might be interesting later in the 1st round, but he has not looked like a lottery pick this year.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    8 - 9 pick and we choose Miller who ends up being a franchise player.
    I think 6-9 sounds about right. Miller would be great. MKG would also be a fine option, but I think he might not be available.

Post Thanks / Like

They'll be available most likely

Post Thanks / Like

Even if we don't get a lottery pick, we can still rebuild.

Look at Portland. Look at their history of lottery picks.
    Look at Denver. They're a top 5 team in the West now despite not having since Carmelo.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there's any chance of taking advantage of Washington's desperation, and prying Wall from their hands
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wonder if there's any chance of taking advantage of Washington's desperation, and prying Wall from their hands
    I think that if they start giving players away it will be Blatche, McGee, and Nick Young. Wall seems to be a guy that gives a crap about winning, the other guys seem a little to stat happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Amar'e did play last night though.
    That's exactly why our win over the Knicks means little. Ever with their 'big 3' in the lineup they lost to the bawbcats.

Post Thanks / Like

imo the wizards entire starting lineup besides wall and Lewis are selfish scrubs. I feel sorry for the wizards but it's their fault for signing headcases like Blatche.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

imo the wizards entire starting lineup besides wall and Lewis are selfish scrubs. I feel sorry for the wizards but it's their fault for signing headcases like Blatche.
    Jordan Crawford and Wall are the only good pieces on that team, for the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Even if the Raptors do finish in the 7-10th from the bottom position, there are 3 factors to consider:

1. ping-pong balls could move us into the top 3 (or down up to 3 spots... yikes)

2. would be interesting analysis to figure out which of the teams above us in the likely draft position rankings are likely to target a SF, rather than all the PF/C/SG ranked highly (aka how many teams are true risks to take one of the stud SF we want)

3. there's always a possibility to flip picks to move up just a couple spots, still allowing both teams to draft the player they really want (ie: trade Barbosa/Bayless for late 1st/early 2nd round pick at the deadline, which could be used to facilitate the swapping of picks to get our stud SF)
    I'd imagine BC sitting late into the wee hours contemplating all the possibilities. Bargs, Demar, Davis. Jonas...I think he's done fairly well at the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Jordan Crawford and Wall are the only good pieces on that team, for the long run.
    ya your right about that. Vesely is basically a useless pick he doesn't bring anything they need.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Noooooooo we need a top 5 pick or even 10 so BC can trade up !!

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

ya your right about that. Vesely is basically a useless pick he doesn't bring anything they need.
    Vesely was the 6th pick in the draft, hasn't even played yet and you have already come to that conclusion...

Post Thanks / Like

why do you think he hasn't played yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information