Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Calderon: our PG of the future? Calderon impressed Casey (63)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our 1st unit has AB7 and DD already, shot the ball first PG from draft or even Bayless is not fit. Don't make me wrong, Bayless won't be as good as J. Terry, in opposite he only will crush the team chemistry when he score more. Hopefully, BC could offer, also Calderon could accept 12M for the next two years or three and 5-6M for the rest of the years. So, we will have enough room to resign those young gun when they r being mature. Also, has time to let a true PG over the draft to learn from Calderon.

Comment

hopefully he's not smart and he stays gets drafted by the raps. Better then him getting picked by a scrub team next year

Comment

Kabongo will play in the NBA and he has talent. He just isn't any where near the level of Barnes, Davis, Drummond, MKG etc considering the spin he gets here on this forum. He has struggled against the better NCAA teams on a relatively easy schedule to now. The performance has yet to justify the hype. Starting Jan. 11 Texas' plays 5 tough Big 12 teams in a row so maybe Myck will turn the corner.

Comment

I totally agree. This year, I'd go for the best player available. If we have a top 10 pick, this simply won't be a point guard. I would wait 2013 to draft a PG, there's way more pure 1 talent in this draft. This year, this is our chance to get our missing piece: a wing player!

Comment

No one said draft kabongo with our 1st pick...

Comment

Well I don't see a realistic way to get another top 15 first round pick.

Comment

trade a player?

Comment

and it doesn't have to be top 15

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    and it doesn't have to be top 15
                    True

Comment

I've always thought and said that Calderon can be an effective pg late into his career. His skills revolve around his decision making and shooting, 2 things that only improve with age. Now, if he relied on quickness and agility then I would not want him past 30/31. I think the comparison to J Kidd and S Nash is accurate, if a bit exaggerated. Calderon shoots well, finds the right man, challenges the defense to react to his positioning, and has intangible leadership qualities. None of these things diminish with age, and all of these things are required on a team filled with young talent.

I would like to see Calderon retire as a Raptor. He's been loyal and steady for us his entire career, and that should be rewarded by the franchise as a thumb on the nose to all the players that threw us under the bus. It would send a message that loyalty to this team will be rewarded and returned many times over. Sign him for 4 years @ $30 mill front loaded. Its generous enough to say thanks and could be structured in a way that allows the team to transition him into a mentor-ship role towards the end of his career.
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                        I've always thought and said that Calderon can be an effective pg late into his career. His skills revolve around his decision making and shooting, 2 things that only improve with age. Now, if he relied on quickness and agility then I would not want him past 30/31. I think the comparison to J Kidd and S Nash is accurate, if a bit exaggerated. Calderon shoots well, finds the right man, challenges the defense to react to his positioning, and has intangible leadership qualities. None of these things diminish with age, and all of these things are required on a team filled with young talent.

I would like to see Calderon retire as a Raptor. He's been loyal and steady for us his entire career, and that should be rewarded by the franchise as a thumb on the nose to all the players that threw us under the bus. It would send a message that loyalty to this team will be rewarded and returned many times over. Sign him for 4 years @ $30 mill front loaded. Its generous enough to say thanks and could be structured in a way that allows the team to transition him into a mentor-ship role towards the end of his career.
                        +1 I would love to see calderon retire a raptor.
                        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          Well I don't see a realistic way to get another top 15 first round pick.
                          ED and a future 1st (possibly with protections).

Comment

Hmmm

only if I knew he would stay injury free, un fortunately no one can so Im leery of passing of getting an asset in return for him. Then again what can you can possibly get for him? No Bayless, please no. This guy thinks hes the next coming of Brandon Roy. Always liked Calderon I would keep him on for another 4 to 5 years, the latter part him mentoring the new PG. If Derrick Fisher can still stay relevant no reasons how Calderon couldn't

Comment

He is playing great, but can you see him maintaining this level throughout the season? Let alone for 2-3 years, when the Raptors intend to be a playoff team? I would say, at this point in the Raptors rebuild, if BC can get a good return on him via trade, do it. He is 30 and at his ceiling, and therefore he can't be considered a PG for the future.

If the Raps are truly struggling at the trade deadline I don't see why BC wouldn't try to get a return on him, in order to get in line for a top five draft pick. But would he garner more value in return next year on his expiring deal?? Tough call for BC

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Just say no to Teague. Why draft another Bayless when you can have the original? Kabongo and Marshall would be great.
                                I completely agree. Bayless is NOT the future point guard, and another like him would be a step backwards. If they can't get a dynamic scorer (like Rose), then they need to get a top-notch pass-first guard who can run the offence, distribute and take care of the ball. Investing too much in a point guard is usually a bad strategy, unless it is an upper echelon player. Even then, note how awful a number of teams with great PGs are doing this year, and some of the top teams have just average PGs.

Comment

Working...
                                X