Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Calderon: our PG of the future? Calderon impressed Casey (63)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Calderon: our PG of the future? Calderon impressed Casey (63)

At 30 years of age, our spanish point guard is playing the best basketball of his career. That being said, if he continues to play at a high level throughout all the season, would you be ok with him as our starting PG for years to come, Which means when the team will be in complete winning mode?

I like Jose. As long as when it's time for him to re-up, we're not giving him the same contract, I'd be cool with that. He's more of a calming influence than Bayless. He's not flashy, but he's a better floor general and has a very good basketball IQ.

Comment

If the Raptors can finally assemble some decent pieces Calderon can easily be the PG for the next 2-3 years. He doesn't have to score, just be able to. He doesn't have to be a lock down defender, just be able to do his part in Caseys system, which he appears to be able to. He will be able to operate inside more easily when the Raps have 4 starters that deserve respect and must be guarded more closely or doubled periodically. And his assist to TO ration will only improve when he has more options to pass to that can complete their shots.

There is not very significant drop off between 30/31 and 35. After that things start to go downhill a little faster. Antawn Jamieson is just the most recent example of an effective 36 year old. Having said that, I don't think JC will be in that kind of shape when he is that age. Past injuries. However, the Raps have the strength coach to add a couple of years to his playing career.

Comment

I'd have no issue short term as long as there was a clear succession plan in place.

Comment

I like Jose and what he's doing but if his production keeps up I think he'll (read: his contract) will get moved so we have even more financial flexibility this offseason.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If he was willing to come off the bench with a new contract starting in the 2013-2014 season, I would be good with that... Hopefully by that point we would have a new starting caliber pg... Kendall Marshall maybe?

Comment

I would want Jose as our PG for 2 more years...look into the upcoming draft and there are options such as Myck Kabongo, Teague and Marshall. Re-sign Jose for a smaller contract and have him as a mentor for the new PG of the future

Comment

jk1m wrote: View Post
                I would want Jose as our PG for 2 more years...look into the upcoming draft and there are options such as Myck Kabongo, Teague and Marshall. Re-sign Jose for a smaller contract and have him as a mentor for the new PG of the future
                +1 ... only I would be happy seeing him as PG for 3-4 years, moving to the bench as the new PG moves to starter. He would be absolutely great making other people on the second unit look good on offense.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                  At 30 years of age, our spanish point guard is playing the best basketball of his career. That being said, if he continues to play at a high level throughout all the season, would you be ok with him as our starting PG for years to come, Which means when the team will be in complete winning mode?
                  Unless we have an opportunity to sign an all-star free agent PG (ie: DWill), I would prefer to draft a pass-first PG in this draft or next, while keeping Calderon on to be the starter/mentor. IF he continues performing like he has so far this season and is injury-free, I would even consider re-signing Calderon to a relatively cheap 1-2 year contract after next season, to be the veteran backup/mentor PG to the young starter. IF the first option becomes a reality, then Calderon would likely be traded or amnestied, but I think that option is very unlikely.

Comment

jk1m wrote: View Post
                    Just say no to Teague. Why draft another Bayless when you can have the original? Kabongo and Marshall would be great.

Comment

Assuming no injuries, I'd be fine with Jose as our point guard for the next 5 years, especially if he can keep playing average D. He doesn't play with a style that relies on speed or athleticism and there is no reason to think he can't keep up a high level of play for quite a while. People forget sometimes that Jose, even when injured, has been one of the best assist guys in the NBA for years and as Liston's article on the front page said, there is no one in the NBA today who is being as productive.
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Our Jason Kidd

I could see him being like a Jason Kidd for us, seems like he is at his peak right now, just hope he stays healthy. Point guards can have long careers look at Kidd and Nash, both pass first point guards like Jose, I could see him being our PG for 2-3 years. God please forgive me for all the bad things I have said about Jose over the years LOL. If he keeps playing like this ... MVP lol.
                        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Just say no to Teague. Why draft another Bayless when you can have the original? Kabongo and Marshall would be great.
                          Pangos>Kabongo

Kabongo is underwhelming at Texas. How is he going to make the transition to NBA starting point guard when he is a turnover waiting to happen with a wonky jump shot at Texas? Not ready!

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                            Pangos>Kabongo

Kabongo is underwhelming at Texas. How is he going to make the transition to NBA starting point guard when he is a turnover waiting to happen with a wonky jump shot at Texas? Not ready!
                            Pangos > Kabongo? Shooting yes. Much else? No. Kabongo had been playing VERY good ball until the UNC game after a slow start. I think your comments are valid on the last three games but not the whole body of work. Something has obviously happened there and his confidence is shaken.

Also, have you seen Texas roster? Outside of Brown, who do they have? This is a very young team - 6 of 11 are freshmen. They have 3 juniors (Brown being one) and 2 seniors who did not play until this year.

Did you see Rondo's jumper prior to this season or have you seen Marshall shoot? That is something Kabongo can work on in time.

As for being ready, who is to say. Many felt Corey Joseph wasn't yet the Spurs drafted him in the first round. Kabongo is much better than Joseph. With regards to the Raptors, Kabongo would not be coming in to start from day 1. He would have at least one year of back up duties if Jose was back next season.

Comment

If Kabongo is smart he'll stay another year and develop more and move up in the draft maybe a top 5 pick in 2013.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X