Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Calderon: our PG of the future? Calderon impressed Casey (63)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a night off from the Raptors and I watched Dion Waiters play the point for Syracuse tonight against Villanova. Great athlete with Wade type hops and a killer from both 3 point range and finishing with power at the rim. Best point guard play I have seen this season in a NCAA game.

Comment

He is good for the team he plays hard and still loses. Perfect we need high draft picks and he isn't worth much in a trade

Comment

And as the season winds down — three games in the final week will wrap things up for the Raptors — Casey says his most pleasant surprise has been the talent level of his starting point guard.

He knows Jose Calderon isn’t the fastest point guard in the league, nor is he the biggest, but for what Toronto needs he’s all that and more.

“I love Jose, and that was one of my big surprises coming here was how good he was as a leader, as a point guard, as a distributor, as a student of the game,” the coach said.

“He sees things on the floor and my trust level went up for him to the top just because I respect his decisions. He has a good feel for our team, of what guys need and don’t need.”

The relationship between the coach and the point guard has emerged as one of mutual trust and respect. They’re often seen talking strategy during stoppages in games, but Casey is often listening more than directing.

“Sometimes I over-rule him, but most times he’s right on point,” said the coach. “Sometimes I’m getting on him for defensive mistakes, but I like that dialogue we have between us during the game.”
        Calderon’s future is a topic of debate among fans, but no one connected with the team has suggested they’re looking to move him. He’ll be 32 years old when the 2012-13 season opens with one year and just over $10 million left on his deal. With no successor on the roster, and coach Casey not enthralled with the thought of a rookie point guard for his team even if one could be found in a guard-thin draft, there’s no reason to think Calderon won’t play out his deal.

The 6-foot-3 guard’s defence, long a sore point, hasn’t been an issue this year primarily because he’s benefited greatly from Casey’s system. It’s widely accepted that with the glut of exceptional point guards in the NBA, one can’t stop another without help.

“It’s impossible, especially guys like (Oklahoma City’s Russell) Westbrook, (Chicago’s Derrick) Rose, those kinds of guards who are the freaks of nature,” said Casey. “That’s why team defence is what has to help a guy like Jose, and everything we’ve built has been with that in mind.”
        Source: Doug Smith

BC spent a lot of time talking about PG of the future this year. Was he thinking Kabongo would be in the draft? Speculation on my part.

After JV had no hype last year from Toronto and DC said there would not be any trades, any rumours regarding Toronto are just that. They have become master poker players with steel faces and public bluffs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Source: Doug Smith

BC spent a lot of time talking about PG of the future this year. Was he thinking Kabongo would be in the draft? Speculation on my part.

After JV had no hype last year from Toronto and DC said there would not be any trades, any rumours regarding Toronto are just that. They have become master poker players with steel faces and public bluffs.
          In this case, I tend to take their words at face value, since I can't argue from a logical perspective. Barring a blockbuster trade, I don't see any significant upgrades available via the draft or free agency. Nash is obviously a big name, Canadian and the superior player, but for how long? Is he really worth it, even if BC were able to lure him home for a season or two? I think it's debatable and I'm personally 50/50 at best, but think I'd rather just keep Calderon. I still hope the Raps either sign Dragic or get a second pick to draft Marshall, to become Calderon's new backup PG.

Comment

Working...
          X